Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys another question . . .

Our only car at this point is a Mercedes C230 Coupe which the smart would be supplementing (So now we'd have two small MBZ products in the garage :D ) The C230 has always impressed me with how fast it begins blowing hot air in the winter. It's easily within one or two minutes.

Prior cars I've had . . . My Honda Accord was relatively fast to start blowing hot air but I had two Subaru Imprezas before that which seemed to take forever to blow hot air even when moving (both of those ended up with remote starters)

How long does it take for a smart fortwo to begin blowing hot air when the temperatures are freezing? We'd be buying one with heated seats anyway

Also, how effective is the A/C during hot days?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
During the colder climate times when right now it is about 25 degrees out, it takes about under five minutes of low RPM driving to get up to a good heat with the fan speed in the middle and the temperature slider all the way to hot.

During the warmer months, I rarely ever use the A/C considering I have a cabriolet, I just touch the top down button and go for a nice cruise. When I have to use the A/C, it does hurt the performance of the car noticeably in stop-and-go traffic, but it keep the car very cool very quickly within a minute.

Hope that helps and don't forget to post pictures if/when you get your smart! :D

·
Premium Member
5,298 Posts
small car
small interior
A/C works great in mine and I rarely use the fan above the low setting or the coldest setting after the initial cool down. I also use a SmartBrella during the hot days.

As for the heater: works great in mine and the heated seats are a bonus.

The engine area does give off some heat, but for me this has not been an issue and is not enough to not use the heater. You do not want to put your ice cream there if you have a long road trip from the store to the home freezer.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I very rarely have to put my fan above speed 2 in the inter, and only for cooldown in the summer. The climate control is the rudimentary unit along the lines of what was in the 2000 C230/what may be in your coupe in operation, where the fan speed is manual but the temperature does have some intelligent control.

I keep mine set on about 68 in the winter, and hardly ever move it. I am garaged both at home and at work, but the garage at work is almost outside temperature, so some warmup is needed - but it is comfortable in 5 minutes, especially with the heated seats on.

The A/C - it is not as strong as the heat, but it gets the car comfortable rather quickly. It will automatically switch recirculate on and off as needed to help keep the temperature down. The smart is a small car with a huge greenhouse effect - so for what it is, it does a good job.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Your air conditioning performance will be heavily affected by your choice of roof in the smart.

If you opt for the clear roof with sunscreen, your car will start out hotter and continue to receive direct heating of the sun through the roof and screen. In a northern climate, that might not be that big of a deal, but in the sunny South, it's a big heat load for any air conditioning unit to overcome.

With the solid roof, even with its semi-gloss black color, the amount of heat transmission to the interior is minimal. (On our all black car, the roof interior is barely warm to the touch on the hottest of days, even before the unit has been started.)

We test drove a clear roof and a black roof on the same day during a hot Houston summer, and immediately opted for the black roof. A very marked difference in heat loading between the two.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I live in New England and have plenty of heat, although I have to admit that I like the heated seats as well. I used to live in TX and have travelled to AZ and the a/c is more than adequate. Both kick in very quickly. Are you taking bets as to how long it takes the MB to be the supplement for the smart? Let the fun begin

·
Registered
175 Posts
How long does it take for a smart fortwo to begin blowing hot air when the temperatures are freezing? We'd be buying one with heated seats anyway
With the 2-level heated seats, it doesn't really matter. Put the seats on high and you get toasty pretty fast. :)

As for the AC, I like it cool and that was one thing I was concerned with. It does fine on 95 degree days in the summer with the shade closed, though. It doesn't get hotter than that around here very often; I suppose one could put some white reflective layer between the shade and the roof if necessary.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I always wait until the engine is fully up to temp before I turn on the heat. It consistently takes 3/4 mile @ 35 MPH + 3 miles @ 65 MPH.

The A/C seems pretty weak to me, but I don't care much because I have a Cabrio. :D

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Daimler cars for decades (don't know if this pertains to the smart) have circulated engine block/head coolant through the heater core as the engine warms up and while the thermostat is still closed. This allows the occupants to get heat much quicker. In addition, some Mercedes products have an aux electric pump to assist coolant flow through the heater core while the engine warms up. Most U.S. autos do not allow heated coolant to flow through the heater core until the thermostat opens, also allowing coolant to flow through the radiator. Hence, slower heat output for occupants. There may be some variation on this theme but for the most part that is the reason Daimler cars warm us faster in Winter. Other Euro autos may do the same.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Over the last few winters in sub zero temperatures, I usually start feeling heat within 3-4 min. Coldest so far was -37 on the dash temp gauge.

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
In Texas, teh AC doesnt seem to work as well. Then I realized its not the AC but the fact that the car is ALL WINDOWS! So in that respect, it blows cold air!

In the winter, about 5 min before it starts getting toasty. Gotta love heated seats!
It actually cooks me out by the time the heater core is hot. I have to cut it all the way down just to stop sweating!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in New England and have plenty of heat, although I have to admit that I like the heated seats as well. I used to live in TX and have travelled to AZ and the a/c is more than adequate. Both kick in very quickly. Are you taking bets as to how long it takes the MB to be the supplement for the smart? Let the fun begin
lol the better half does not like the looks of the smart car at all. Doesn't mind how it drives or the comfort level on the inside but hates the looks. So I'll likely be the primary driver of it. ;-) Add that to a couple of siblings that look at the smart line of cars like they're an insult to American roads and this vehicle will be lots of fun for me hahaha

I always wait until the engine is fully up to temp before I turn on the heat. It consistently takes 3/4 mile @ 35 MPH + 3 miles @ 65 MPH.

The A/C seems pretty weak to me, but I don't care much because I have a Cabrio. :D
LOL Yeah I'm leaning towards the cabrio too. The idea of holding down the keyfob to open the roof before getting in is part of the reason. That'll get the car dwon to ambient temperature on a hot sunny day fast!!

I very rarely have to put my fan above speed 2 in the inter, and only for cooldown in the summer. The climate control is the rudimentary unit along the lines of what was in the 2000 C230/what may be in your coupe in operation, where the fan speed is manual but the temperature does have some intelligent control.

I keep mine set on about 68 in the winter, and hardly ever move it. I am garaged both at home and at work, but the garage at work is almost outside temperature, so some warmup is needed - but it is comfortable in 5 minutes, especially with the heated seats on.

The A/C - it is not as strong as the heat, but it gets the car comfortable rather quickly. It will automatically switch recirculate on and off as needed to help keep the temperature down. The smart is a small car with a huge greenhouse effect - so for what it is, it does a good job.
Ours in a 2002 and has the fully automatic dual zone climate control (I think they all did in this generation ours is Bose and leather seats away from being the base model) but, of course, this was during MB's cost cutting lesser quality era so there's plastic flaps on the inside that have broken so air doesn't quite get directed right in that car unless we're manually having it go to one of the sweet spots that we've figured out. We're still debating on if it's worth it to have it fixed or better to just buy a new C300 to directly replace it soon . . . The problem is Mercedes doesn't make this particular hatchback body style anymore and it's a USEFUL car (I've hauled TVs and dressers in the rear hatch area!)

Daimler cars for decades (don't know if this pertains to the smart) have circulated engine block/head coolant through the heater core as the engine warms up and while the thermostat is still closed. This allows the occupants to get heat much quicker. In addition, some Mercedes products have an aux electric pump to assist coolant flow through the heater core while the engine warms up. Most U.S. autos do not allow heated coolant to flow through the heater core until the thermostat opens, also allowing coolant to flow through the radiator. Hence, slower heat output for occupants. There may be some variation on this theme but for the most part that is the reason Daimler cars warm us faster in Winter. Other Euro autos may do the same.
Interesting! I've been wondering for a long time why this car heats up so unusually fast! Thanks for the explanation! :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Like most have said, I have heat in less than a mile, even in sub-zero weather. I love the heated seats before and after engine warmup. I have a cabrio, but sometimes it is just too hot to have the top down, and the A/C cools well and quickly. The only issue I have had is the blower motor has been failing for a while, so it doesn't always work as well as it should, though that will be rectified next week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts