Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received my Smart car. A red passion cabriolet with black interior. I couldn't wait for Smart to get to me in November of 2009. I contacted three different dealers via autotrader.com and was told by each one that the cars they had listed were demos only or already sold to someone and that autotrader had somehow uploaded the information on them. I decided to get one myself and purchased one on e-bay with a buy it now, this was at the end of March. The first of April I was notified by the guy in Illinois that my buy it now was NOT the price he wanted for the car and he actually wanted more money was I willing to go into a bidding war with other people who wanted the yellow car. I told him the joke was on him (after all it was April Fools day) and said I didn't appreciate his underhanded way of doing business and said thanks but no thanks. Then I waited for awhile to calm down and decide there must be someone else who had one for sale.
I came across a red one with black interior and started bidding on it and was getting more and more frustrated with slowness of the bidding process so I hit the buy it now button and got myself the car on May 20th. I put my deposit down and got the ball rolling for getting the car from Pennsylvania to Montana.
The car was picked up June 8 at 7:00 a.m. and was deposited at my door on Friday, the 13th (now a lucky day for me!) I've driven it around and the first question is: "Is it electric?" Everyone is interested and I've given many rides. Every woman or teenage girl is in love with it. Several guys have said they might get one instead of a motorcycle since they're out of the weather in the car! I had a 1998 Volkswagen diesel Beetle and I really like this Smart car way better! My very tall daughter loves the leg room. Yesterday with gas at $4.15 a gallon I filled up from half empty to full for $15.00 and that made my hubby happy! Are we all smart or what!!!:cool:

·
Registered
973 Posts
I just received my Smart car. A red passion cabriolet with black interior. I couldn't wait for Smart to get to me in November of 2009. I contacted three different dealers via autotrader.com and was told by each one that the cars they had listed were demos only or already sold to someone and that autotrader had somehow uploaded the information on them. I decided to get one myself and purchased one on e-bay with a buy it now, this was at the end of March. The first of April I was notified by the guy in Illinois that my buy it now was NOT the price he wanted for the car and he actually wanted more money was I willing to go into a bidding war with other people who wanted the yellow car. I told him the joke was on him (after all it was April Fools day) and said I didn't appreciate his underhanded way of doing business and said thanks but no thanks. Then I waited for awhile to calm down and decide there must be someone else who had one for sale.
I came across a red one with black interior and started bidding on it and was getting more and more angry by the bidding process so I hit the buy it now button and got myself the car on May 20th. I put my deposit down and got the ball rolling for getting the car from Pennsylvania to Montana.
The car was picked up June 8 at 7:00 a.m. and was deposited at my door on Friday, the 13th (now a lucky day for me!) I've driven it around and the first question is: "Is it electric?" Everyone is interested and I've given many rides. Every woman or teenage girl is in love with it. Several guys have said they might get one instead of a motorcycle since they're out of the weather in the car! I had a 1998 Volkswagen diesel Beetle and I really like this Smart car way better! My very tall daughter loves the leg room. Yesterday with gas at $4.15 a gallon I filled up from half empty to full for $15.00 and that made my hubby happy! Are we all smart or what!!!:cool:
I love the state of Montana, have visited many times. What part of the state are you from? Have a Moose Drool for me when you get the chance!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the Eastern part of the state in a little city of Glendive. I don't drink Moose Drool however Gatorade is my choice of substitute! My daughter purchased a yellow one today. She was the first of about 100 people to put down her deposit who wanted the only Smart car for sale here. The dealer that brought it in said if he had a hundred cars he would have sold them all. We are a Smart bunch!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Montana smart, welcome to the club. Let us know how you like your cab. I'm in Billings and have a red/black Cab also. I recieved mine about 5 weeks ago and have 1400 miles on it. Just got our vanity plates: pdlfstr
Where is your closest dealer? Mine came from Linden UT, there is a dealer in Denver also. My prayer is that I wont have to meet them for a long time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I tried for "Smart 1" on my license plate but that one was already taken. Darn! I like your plate! How cute! I had to quick come up with something else when I licensed it so I settled on "Ruddyty" Our last name is Ruddy (which also means red)--it's a red car and the ty is short for toy. So it's Ruddy toy. AFTER I paid for the plate a friend said it's a perky car and now I wish I had used "perky" on the plate! Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Maybe next year I'll try something new! Our nearest dealer is also in Denver and I also pray I won't have to make the trip down there! I'm hoping the car is well made and hangs together! My daughter (who owns a yellow one) found out what S.M.A.R.T. stand for. The "S" stands for Swatch, the company that designed the car. The "M" stands for Mercedes Benz, the manufacturer of the car, and the ART is because it's the only car that CURRENTLY IN PRODUCTION that is on display at the Museum of Modern Art. Hence SMART Car. How cool is that?
My daughter plans on using "smrtblnd" on her car for "smart blonde." We really do love our cars!
The local car club is having a car show on June 28th. My daughter and I plan on entering our cars in the competition. I believe there is a catagory for new cars. I am asked so many questions about the car that this will be an opportunity for people to see the car! I will let you know how well the cars are received!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wonderful news, I'm jealous you have two. My second one will not ship til January. I am order 3 additional for my business. I'm entering my smart in the Laurel 4th of july parade and the Billings Burn the point. I'm hoping to get a few of the other local smarts to join me, but I've had a tought time finding them.

Have fun and good luck with everything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My daughter and I went to the local car show yesterday. WOW! Lots of questions. The first one was always how far can you go on a charge? After being told it's gasoline the next question is how much does it cost? I'm not shy about how much I paid for it so I answered any and all questions. Everyone was shocked that I had purchased it from e-bay. I wish I could have taken pictures of their faces when I told them that! I let anyone who wanted to have a sit and find out the amount of room and explained about the roll bar thing. Of course, my mother has talked with a woman who worked in Germany and was told by the woman that a car wreck with a Smart car is not a pretty sight. Okay, so is any car wreck a pretty sight? No. I was parked in between two 4x4 pickups---the one on my right was on monster tires. Quite a sight with my mini smart baby between them. But a marvelous time was had by all of us and lots of people were interested. However, I didn't hear anyone really say that they would get one. I guess we are a special breed all by ourselves.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey you Montana folks. Merry Christmas. Used to live in Lewistown. Just wondering what your snow tire choices were for this season?

·
Registered
2 Posts
moving to Helena

Hi all you MT smarties (<10?)! Job change taking me from Davis, CA in June ... not sure I should bring my smart fortwo because where could I get it serviced closer than SLC, Seattle or Denver? How do you handle winter driving? :confused:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi all you MT smarties (<10?)! Job change taking me from Davis, CA in June ... not sure I should bring my smart fortwo because where could I get it serviced closer than SLC, Seattle or Denver? How do you handle winter driving? :confused:
That's the only draw back to having a smart in Montana. We are the farthest state from any dealer in the USA.
As far as winter driving snow tires all around ad they are as good as any car.
Where in Montana are you headed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's the only draw back to having a smart in Montana. We are the farthest state from any dealer in the USA.
As far as winter driving snow tires all around ad they are as good as any car.
Where in Montana are you headed?
New home is in Helena, but my work will take me all over the state!

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to Smart Car in Bozeman

We just bought a used 2008 fortwo from a couple that moved up from Arizona. Last night the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. We turned the steering wheel, tried to rock the car..finally prayed and it turned. What happened? We don't know who to use for a mechanic and were a little worried.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts