Smart Car of America Forum banner

smart in the snow

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  marc hanna 
#1 ·
Observations

1. Light snow fall (5cm)

2. Smart has excellent anti lock braking. I was able to recharge if I used light application of the brake, but if I stepped harder, the anti-lock would kick in

3. The Mercedes Benz "ESP" ( Electronic Stability Program ) worked as well, especially when I attempted to use throttle to drift through corners

4. Dash indicator showing a car with skid wavy marks underneath it serves as the indicator for when the ESP programming kicks in

5. If I was attempting to turn right and spin the car, the ESP would brake the back right wheel, there was a barely audible sound coming from that corner of the car when I mashed the throttle and cranked the steering wheel

6. The traction control is much more advanced than what I got used to on my 2000 Ford Taurus. The motor is reduced in power (as can be seen on the power gauge) and the brakes are applied periodically to prevent slip

Here is a picture of my outing today:

See less See more
#2 ·
Be careful with these kinds of postings! Somebody might allege you're viewing things through rose colored glasses and that all traction control systems from any manufacturer is exactly as effective as Mercedes' Stability Control Programming.

Some may be, but many others are not equal, the levels of engagement between the systems are all different, and the Mercedes system involves more than just throttle control and light braking. . .

#3 ·
all traction control systems from any manufacturer is exactly as effective as Mercedes' Stability Control Programming.
Some may be, but many others are not equal, the levels of engagement between the systems are all different, and the Mercedes system involves more than just throttle control and light braking.
I've driven a lot of cars, and recently bought two Mercedes, one is a GLK350, the other is a Smart ED. Both have excellent safety technology.

As for the Ford, well, it was ancient, and compared to a modern car, I was surprised that for <$20K I could buy this much "tech". :)

We test drove a Ford Edge (loaded) before we got the GLK and we were suitably impressed as well. Clearly, cars have improved in the 10 years since I last bought, eh?

I am not a booster of MB, but am impressed with the tech you now get on something as small and inexpensive as the Smart ED. I was stunned at how good it drove in the snow today!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.