Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've Googled and I've written to Smart and have yet to get a solid answer about this... Will Smart Cars be able to handle winters in New England?

·
Registered
56 Posts
They've been sold in Canada for a while and originally came from Switzerland; so I guess it will be OK, with the proper footwear.:cool:And probably a lot of fun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Put a couple sandbags in the back for extra traction.

I'm kidding. Although my dad did this with his pickup truck during winters in Wisconsin.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
From what I've seen from the Canadian owners, the overall response has been good. Most do seem to put on snow tires on cheap rims and say its okay. I think the big question is in how well (often) the roads are plowed in your area, as the negative comments dealt with deep snow and the fortwo's relatively low ground clearance - more likely to get hung up on unplowed roads.

PS: Welcome Tunefreak!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks muchly SmartCard, I have a Honda Civic SI that I put Hakkapeliita all seasons on and they have treated me very well. So, I guess I've made my decision!!!!! I'm getting my Smart in September of 2008!!!!!!! I so can not wait... Now I have to find a dealership in or very close to Vermont... WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
I've Googled and I've written to Smart and have yet to get a solid answer about this... Will Smart Cars be able to handle winters in New England?
That would all depend on what you call "handle." I would imagine that if you can look around your neighborhood in the winter and see BMW vehicles driving around or any other rear-wheel drive car, then yes!

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
The Smart will get far better traction than any rear wheel drive BMW. The weight of the engine sit right over the rear wheels, so there will be no need for those sand bags. The ground clearance also seems to be greater than most passenger cars and should handle deeper snow. The Smart should do just fine with real winter snow tires (not all-season).

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
I have personally spoken with several Smart owners from the ClubSmart Canada of Montreal during our entourage to Cooperstown, NY. They adamantly stated that with good snow tires, the Smart has excellent traction on Wintry roads. I plan to put on a set of Hakkapaletta's for our Upstate NY Winter, most likely all four tires. That means another set of *Winter, steel wheels* to change out in the late Fall and early Spring with the WR's for the Spring and Summer driving. You can't tell I like Nokians, can you? Used them for the last 15 years....they're the best, IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts