Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you in Massachusetts? I'm curious if anyone has a good insurance plan for your Smart. I'm looking at buying one for the first time, and my current company - Liberty Mutual - wants to charge an exorbitant amount to insure the car. I want the car, but I'm not paying their costs. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Welcome to SCoA!

Do they want to charge to an exorbitant amount because you received too many tickets or have been in accidents that you caused? That could be a reason. I use Libery Mutual myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

No, I've had no tickets or accidents. No problems. They claim it's because the damage to the car would be so high. The fact that I didn't receive my first license until I was 27 probably also has something to do with it (I'm 30 now), but even when I factor that in, it doesn't explain the costs.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Must be because your in Boston, insurance is strange there with the different neighborhood ratings. Make sure it has an alarm, that could help.
Make sure they know the 2011's have 8 airbags, DRL (option) ESP traction Control.

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Some have posted the smart's insurance "score" (or rating, or whatever) is a 5, one of the lowest possible. Perhaps you can ask Liberty Mutual what score they are using for the smart. For most of us, adding the smart to an existing policy was not very expensive. :)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I'm was 16 at the time and would be driving a new (at the time) convertible red and black and Liberty Mutual, when they added it to our family plan, didn't cost that much more to insure at all. Something isn't right here considering, like jwight and rfernatt pointed out, smart has one of the lowest insurance scores of any car.

Give them a call and remind them of the scores that smart receives and the safety numbers and ask for a more in depth explanation.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I also found Liberty to be very high. Geico was very good to me. www iihs.org/research/hldi/composite_cls.aspx?y=2007-2009&cls=1&sz=4&sort=name This is the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety showing that the smart is an extremely low insurance loss vehicle. Good luck. But, is MA a state where the rates are controlled by the state (Commonweath) and every company must charge the same? I hope not. Good luck. Let the fun begin

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
65 yesterday. Driving since I was 16. One accident in 1964 when the brakes on my grandfather's Morris Minor Drophead Coupe failed on the way to Driver's Ed class, I kid you not. I've been run into 3 times since, not my fault, they paid very well...(c;]

State Farm customer since 1960's with same agent for decades. Low deductable collision/comprehensive, full coverage in Charleston, SC. Costs me a hair over $141 every 6 months, $282 per year. Check with State Farm! They insure Smart cheap!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was actually just going over my insurance. The quote before buying the vehicle pretty much made my insurance stay the same. I bought my smart and switched everything out- Now my rates have gone up by $100/6 months?!?! I called and she said the quote was based on "old" information for the smart repairs and with new information that is what caused the spike in price. I'm shopping around now for insurance- Allstate gave me a crap price. Thanks for starting this thread as I'll definitely check into these other places mentioned. Btw, I got my Smart 13 days ago.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My insurance cost went down...

For what it is worth. I traded in my 2001 Durango R/T for my 08 Smart Passion in august of 2010. I live in Worcester and am with Progressive insurance. My insurance cost went down almost $20 per month. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I traded in an AWD Suzuki SX4 Crossover when I bought my smart. My insurance went down by $16 every 6 months. Would have went down $56 every 6 months but Geico has "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance", basically it is extended warranty coverage on the car, and I added this to my policy on the smart car.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
For what it is worth. I traded in my 2001 Durango R/T for my 08 Smart Passion in august of 2010. I live in Worcester and am with Progressive insurance. My insurance cost went down almost $20 per month. :)
I am with Progressive myself and i found they were the least expensive out of all the insurance providers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts