Smart Car of America Forum banner

Smart is alive and well

8K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  OliverB 
#1 ·
Everyone so worry, the smart is dead. The sky is falling. Since smart won't be offering the ICE model here anymore. Where will I get parts? We'll never see another smart again.

2016, Europe....

Smart Fortwo 69,169 units sold
Smart forfour 37,133 units sold

Just for fun...

Renault Twingo 84,766 units sold

#2 ·
I've been trying to source European/non-US smart/Mercedes parts for a while now. I think the best place so far that I "think" is good is en.partacus.de. Seems like I'd get hit with a large shipping bill and import duties of 19%. Still too scared to try to pull the trigger on an order.

I'm lucky though, the smart is not my only car. Others may not be so lucky....

#5 ·
Not sure if they can just order it in for you, what I did see was a lot of European oil such as Total which I haven't seen up here but did when I lived in France. I think they must order in a container of merchandise and if that is the case then perhaps they can order in specific parts that they don't stock on the website. I can ask the next time I'm over there or perhaps send Tim an email.

#8 ·
1589 sales? Woah, if they went electric in all markets, annual sales would be like 5500 worldwide.

Considering the 453 was a last gasp, and required Renault to participate to make it happen, I suspect this will be the last fortwo. Renault's Twingo sales are symbolic too. Volumes are just too low to make anything like a profit.

#9 ·
although i was looking to keep my smart til the wheels fell off, it's running fine with new tires, the 8 year old battery may be replaced, i'm looking at a 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage, basically the same engine, a little larger, 1.2 vs 1.0 liters, but 4 doors, so i can drive for Uber or Lyft, i work at Amazon now and have 4 days off a week, it's a tough decision, 9 years with my smart, i usually sell my cars at 10 years and get a new one, just passed 9 with this one, 7 years past the warranty.

i'll probably get an infraction for mentioning selling my smart, if i do, i quit!

#10 ·
The '17 Corolla has some good/great features for the 50th Anniversary if that price range is in consideration for you.... (Maybe you could sell your mighty rare wheels to make up some of the difference.)

It might impact smart USA, in that they stop losing in a poor sales location. (Still remember signing the agreement to not export mine back in late 2012. They must be selling them to us at a lower price point to try to prevent them being sent elsewhere for a possible resale profit.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Parts won't dry up, for 10 years, from MB. Then there will be plenty of salvage smart cars out there. Last resort Europe. Mexico too.

The only issue. These modern vehicles need software, to make them run. Will that still be available at a smart/MB dealership.

#29 · (Edited)
Not in Las Vegas
On Saturday I stopped by Fletcher Jones Imports / Mercedes. I took some pictures. Only thing left on the building is the tiny smart sign, two used smarts in the lot, No New smarts, they aren't getting any more and they opted out of selling the ED smart. I also have a picture of the showroom where they now have a full size Mercedes sitting where two or three smarts, usually a pure, passion and cabriolet were displayed.
As the GM told me, 'the experiment has ended.'

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.