Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Didn't even know FJ sold smarts in the first place. He owns Ontario and Newport Beach locations but I didn't see any signs they were ever a smart dealer. Not there often I must admit...

·
Registered
815 Posts
ever since FJ got rid of their stand alone smart center they weren't interested in selling smart's only cared about the MB brand.
The Smart stand alone center was owned by Towbin automotive group. Towbin added Fiat and FJ Imports took smart. They built a small area in their showroom for display and put signage on the side of the building.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,050 Posts
If a particulr Smart Center will there be a notice posted somewhere? My closest Center is Easton Smart Center up beside Columbus Ohio and that's 2 hours away from me. DCO

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
If a particulr Smart Center will there be a notice posted somewhere? My closest Center is Easton Smart Center up beside Columbus Ohio and that's 2 hours away from me. DCO

Not sure what you're asking, but on the smart USA website you can search for a nearest dealer....

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,050 Posts
Not sure what you're asking, but on the smart USA website you can search for a nearest dealer....
I was on the phone when I was typing that,sorry. But the question should have been: If a Smart Center is gonna close will there be a notice posted somewhere?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Not in Las Vegas
On Saturday I stopped by Fletcher Jones Imports / Mercedes. I took some pictures. Only thing left on the building is the tiny smart sign, two used smarts in the lot, No New smarts, they aren't getting any more and they opted out of selling the ED smart. I also have a picture of the showroom where they now have a full size Mercedes sitting where two or three smarts, usually a pure, passion and cabriolet were displayed.
As the GM told me, 'the experiment has ended.'

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
In my area, the local MB dealer refused to do recall work on my Smart. Had to drive 2 hours to Smart Car San Jose.

Fortunately, the only thing you HAVE to visit a dealer for is recall work.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
In my area, the local MB dealer refused to do recall work on my Smart. Had to drive 2 hours to Smart Car San Jose.
And what was the nature of the recall?

M-B dealer was correct in "refusing" as unless they also have a smart Center they cannot and will not perform the work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
And what was the nature of the recall?

M-B dealer was correct in "refusing" as unless they also have a smart Center they cannot and will not perform the work.
Four minor issues

Software update
Headlight vertical adjustment lock nut cap
E-brake nut thing
Supplemental refrigerant quantity manual

Took a couple hours -- but they were busy
I could give you the line items from the ticket if you want

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that MB should still service the Smarts since they are a stepchild of them. What if Smart pulled completely out of the US? Where would we go for recall work?? Someone would have to do it (and of course, indies aren't allowed to).

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that MB should still service the Smarts since they are a stepchild of them. What if Smart pulled completely out of the US? Where would we go for recall work?? Someone would have to do it (and of course, indies aren't allowed to).
The issue is that only M-B dealers who sold/sell and service smarts are authorized by M-B to do any work on them. Taking a smart in for service at an M-B dealership that never carried the smart brand is a non-starter. :)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Not only are they not autorized to do work on the smarts, they don’t have trained techs and are not able to even order parts. My local Benz dealer, who has done service work on my E Class, can’t help me with even simple parts like air and oil filters.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
21 - 36 of 36 Posts