Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon from NYC!
This is my first time posting on this forum, well any forum ever. Hello everyone. I purchased a 2008 fortwo smart car last year in october. it ran well throughout the year until i made a mistake in May. i installed a speaker box into my car with no fuse on the cables that go to the battery. On memorial day as i was cruising , the car started jerking out of nowhere and came to a complete stop in the middle of the road. when i turned off the car to restart i noticed that the dash lights came on, the turn signals and head lamps turned on and thhe radio worked.I did not hear the normal noise when you turn the key. usually it would make a whirring noise right before it squealed like a pig before it started. This time it did nothing . the lights and radio worked but it didnt crank up. i then parked the car and someone attempted to give me a boost but nothing happened. this was 64 days ago so my memory is fuzzy. i then had it towed to a mechanic my boss uses to fix the company vehicles. He claimed it was the sam unit, and being that it was the sam unit i would have to take it to mercedes for a hefty price of 1500 to repair. The second option was to send out all of the sam units to a place in Oregon and have a guy over there check out the parts. Before he sent out the parts he did attempt to install a button/switch so i could get the car started for a cheaper solution. He managed to get it started but when he changed gears the car jjust turned off again. We sent the parts out. the guy installs them into a smart they have custom built to take anyone's sam unit without having matching VIN numbers. Turns out that every electronic component that was sent out indeed worked. that smart car turned on in Oregon. So the issue isn't the sam units, it isnt the starter, not the battery. the diagnostics tool told hiim it had a bunch of codes. has anyone ever encountered this issue? can someone please help and aid me so that i can drive my little guy again. id hate to have it scrapped. ive had many cars but this is the only one ive ever been happy with. Plus living in NYC gets hard when you drive anything that is longer than a smart car. parking at a lot is about $24 for 12 hours where i stay. please help. thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts