Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a used 2009 Brabus edition with 30,000 miles. Occasionlly when comlpetely stoped and then apply gas to move forward the car will jump several times like a Kangaroo and not take off smoothly. Notice really bad in stop and go traffic this morning. Could not get a smooth launch when having to edge a couple of feet to car in front of me. Feels like a standard car with clutch and not giving enough gas or something jumping forward. Its worse when just applying a little pressure to the pedal to go forwad if that makes sense. The car will jump back and forth and then go. Any info or advice would be great. Putting 93 ocatane in. I do have a go pedal installed but occured even before that install.

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Stop and go traffic can be a problem; you might try putting the transmission in the manual mode, as well as pulling up the handbrake one click (disengages the creep feature.) Also, when you stop make sure to fully press the brake pedal or the clutch will not completely disengage. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stop and go traffic can be a problem; you might try putting the transmission in the manual mode, as well as pulling up the handbrake one click (disengages the creep feature.) Also, when you stop make sure to fully press the brake pedal or the clutch will not completely disengage. :)
Thanks for the info will give those a try. The car takes off without any issue when not having to "stop and go" short distances. Its the nudging forward it seems to have issues with.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Sometimes these cars handle like they forgot how to shift. The computer tries to use the highest gear possible, sometimes too soon, and that is what you are seeing. As Jwight says, pop it into manual to keep it in 1st gear. I was stuck in traffic for an hour once (went 3 miles) with no way to escape. it was not a fun situation and putting it in manual 1st gear worked the best (less than 5 mph)

·
17,350 Posts
Notice really bad in stop and go traffic this morning. Could not get a smooth launch when having to edge a couple of feet to car in front of me.
Sounds pretty normal-ish to me. Mine used to do it all the time when moving in bumper to bumper traffic that's no faster than 10 MPH.

When driving in this traffic, be smooth and slow on the pedal, it should reduce or eliminate the "bucking". Manual Mode also helps too.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I suspect the built-in "creep" functionality is to blame. As far as I know, this is a U.S. thing; i.e., the car is designed to creep forward when you lift your foot from the brake, similar to how a typical automatic transmission does. It's very annoying in stop-and-go traffic and leads to a lot of herky-jerky driving. Pull the parking brake up one click like someone already suggested. Yes, the instrument cluster will audibly yell at you, but the car won't be herky-jerky any longer. Once traffic clears up, fully release the parking brake lever.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sounds pretty normal-ish to me. Mine used to do it all the time when moving in bumper to bumper traffic that's no faster than 10 MPH.

When driving in this traffic, be smooth and slow on the pedal, it should reduce or eliminate the "bucking". Manual Mode also helps too.
I agree with Neon and have the same with my 13 on occasion. I am sure that using a gopedal deal would make it worse because to me it would make it hard to be "Easy" on the gas pedal. Just think that if the Pedal were laid out as 0 being no gas applied and 100 being on the floor the go pedal just changes the ratings. Lets say pushing the pedal half way means 50% throttle open. Depending on how the gopedal is set up 50% or half pedal is really telling the computer 100%. In traffic you need to be really easy on the pedals (will still buck once and a while) but with the gopedal when you very lightly touch the gas pedal to tell computer one or two percent the gopedal says ahhhh 6 or 8 which will not help. Like Jwight mentioned that you can also click the hand brake one click (it will beep at you) in stop and go traffic and it disables the creep function. Pretty much when you let off the brake normally the computer begins to engage the clutch expecting gas pedal next but then you hit the brake again and it is has to retract the clutch. Pulling the lever one click when you let off the brake the clutch will not engage until you press on the gas pedal making creeping along at low speeds much easier. Do not drive with the ebrake handle up tho :) Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The last time I had to drive in any stop and go traffic, I found toggling from drive to neutral did well to tame the bucking of the car.

·
17,350 Posts
I am sure that using a gopedal deal would make it worse because to me it would make it hard to be "Easy" on the gas pedal. Just think that if the Pedal were laid out as 0 being no gas applied and 100 being on the floor the go pedal just changes the ratings. Lets say pushing the pedal half way means 50% throttle open. Depending on how the gopedal is set up 50% or half pedal is really telling the computer 100%. In traffic you need to be really easy on the pedals (will still buck once and a while) but with the gopedal when you very lightly touch the gas pedal to tell computer one or two percent the gopedal says ahhhh 6 or 8 which will not help.
:) Hope this helps
Ah, yet another who understands how these devices work! :)
And, if you have the settings really high, you might as well give up on driving in traffic entirely. :rofl:

Another tip: Give yourself some space ahead of you between the next car. The less brake and accelerator pedal action you have to do, the less the clutch has to do its work and the smoother ride should result.

Off topic: These devices do a relatively simple job; so why do they cost $300+?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I am sure that using a gopedal deal would make it worse because to me it would make it hard to be "Easy" on the gas pedal. Just think that if the Pedal were laid out as 0 being no gas applied and 100 being on the floor the go pedal just changes the ratings. Lets say pushing the pedal half way means 50% throttle open. Depending on how the gopedal is set up 50% or half pedal is really telling the computer 100%. In traffic you need to be really easy on the pedals (will still buck once and a while) but with the gopedal when you very lightly touch the gas pedal to tell computer one or two percent the gopedal says ahhhh 6 or 8 which will not help.

amosd70/Neonspinnazz
, not true? What you have described has never been my reality after 6+ years with pedal mapping?

Don't knock gas pedal mapping (built into CC or Go Pedal) unless you have actually tried it! Pedal mapping shows NO NEGATIVE IMPACT in stop and go traffic and may actually have some benefit.

While there is NO horsepower increase, the lag time inherent in the smart gas pedal "drive by wire" potentiometer message through the ECU and to engine can be reduced.

There is a reason that SM says "Works so well that we offer on a 30 Day, Money Back Guarantee!" And I doubt that they get many back . . .

I can assure you that a heavy foot on the accelerator does not yield the same results as pedal mapping?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From my limited use with the Go Pedal for less than a week now its a great product.
However (and please chime in with info) Im using setting sport plus with +3. Its extreemly quick off the light, but notice when backing off the pedal at mid to higher speeds ie 45 MPH it doesnt seem to have the strong feeling any longer. In fact it takes getting to the next power band/gear for it to kick in and feel power again if that makes sense. Hard to explain. Im used to instant hard power throughout with my Camaro so tough getting used to pressing on the pedal and waiting for it to catch up.

I definetly think the Go Pedal makes a difference though

·
17,350 Posts

amosd70/Neonspinnazz
, not true? What you have described has never been my reality after 6+ years with pedal mapping?

Don't knock gas pedal mapping (built into CC or Go Pedal) unless you have actually tried it! Pedal mapping shows NO NEGATIVE IMPACT in stop and go traffic and may actually have some benefit.

While there is NO horsepower increase, the lag time inherent in the smart gas pedal "drive by wire" potentiometer message through the ECU and to engine can be reduced.

There is a reason that SM says "Works so well that we offer on a 30 Day, Money Back Guarantee!" And I doubt that they get many back . . .

I can assure you that a heavy foot on the accelerator does not yield the same results as pedal mapping?

Probably not for us veteran smart owners, but I bet a newbie (especially one who bought a GO Pedal as a first mod) could have some issues getting used to the accelerator pedal of a smart? :shrug:

Not knocking the pedal mappers as I've driven a couple smarts with them. While there isn't any real performance benefit, it is definitely more responsive than any stock accelerator pedal.

I just can't wrap my head around the cost. $300 can get you a lot of cool things. It's 3/4 the cost of a CC, a PS4/Xbox One, the cost of a decent laptop, and a little over halfway to the cost of an ECU tune. And SM isn't the blame either, they just priced their product to match what others in the market are charging.

·
17,350 Posts
From my limited use with the Go Pedal for less than a week now its a great product.
However (and please chime in with info) Im using setting sport plus with +3. Its extreemly quick off the light, but notice when backing off the pedal at mid to higher speeds ie 45 MPH it doesnt seem to have the strong feeling any longer. In fact it takes getting to the next power band/gear for it to kick in and feel power again if that makes sense. Hard to explain. Im used to instant hard power throughout with my Camaro so tough getting used to pressing on the pedal and waiting for it to catch up.

I definetly think the Go Pedal makes a difference though
The GO Pedal works by cutting down accelerator response time by nearly half. Then it has the ability to amplify that signal, so less pedal movement equals more acceleration (i.e. 10% pedal movement = 20% throttle).

While there isn't any actual performance benefit (it isn't going to shave seconds off the quarter mile) it does improve response time, which makes your smart feel more alive!

That's why the "strength" is lost at high speeds, it improves the throttle response, but not the car's power curve. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the response guys....Lots of good info for sure....

Lets discuss ECU tune for a bit. Wondering the benifits people are seeing with the Smart and who would do in my area. I live in Fort Worth Texas. Lots of Muscle car tunners, but not sure about Smarts. Is there noticable improvement and how affects gas milage.

·
17,350 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
One of the later software updates for the transmission control unit reduced the creep function. If you take the car to a smart dealer you might wish to have them check the software level and update if necessary. The later updates also greatly improved the shift quality.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The last time I had to drive in any stop and go traffic, I found toggling from drive to neutral did well to tame the bucking of the car.
The hand brake up one click does the same thing as neutral, but beeps whenever you start rolling forward with gas applied. It also disables hillstart assist, so be aware if on an incline. The beeping stops whenever you coast to a stop. Your smart is a fun instrument to work with.
I enjoy interacting with mine.
It is like a full sized toy, and fun every day. And yes, mine still bucks when I do not operate the controls perfectly for the conditions at hand. It is still a manual transmission, and you can make it push the clutch in by clicking the hand brake up one click. You have more control than you knew.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Like BBBenz said, It also disengages "hill assist" :)

I know, I know, should have read the whole thread first :p

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Lets discuss ECU tune for a bit. Wondering the benifits people are seeing with the Smart and who would do in my area. I live in Fort Worth Texas. Lots of Muscle car tunners, but not sure about Smarts. Is there noticable improvement and how affects gas milage.
4-wheeled conveyances to include smarts, can be like ex-wives in that they can consume large amounts of money leaving you with little to show for it but shiny things and receipts. :shrug:

ECU tune - 6 years after introduction there are not a lot of Muscle Car Tuners who are losing sleep over how to wring 5-25% more HP out of our lowly .99 L 3-cylinder Mitsu.

IF there was a reason to go down that path, Smart Madness (the ToysRUs of smart parts) would have "been there" years ago?

smart is about unique and fun, you've got an answer to "go fast" in your hottie Chevy Camaro!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts