Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the battery in the key fob only affect the operation of the lock/unlock, or does it also affect the RFID chip operation for the Immobilizer?

I have one key that will trip the "key" symbol on the dash about every other time it is used, but it still operates the locks fine. If I cycle the key a couple of times, it will then start the car.

The other key works normally.

oldbike

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Does the battery in the key fob only affect the operation of the lock/unlock, or does it also affect the RFID chip operation for the Immobilizer?

I have one key that will trip the "key" symbol on the dash about every other time it is used, but it still operates the locks fine. If I cycle the key a couple of times, it will then start the car.

The other key works normally.

oldbike
I'm not certain, and I wouldn't think so, but a quick and free way to check would be to simply swap the batteries and see if you are still having an issue.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
I would think that if there is enough battery to drive the RF to unlock the car, there is enough to drive the chip. I have read somewhere on the forum that you should alternate the keys so that the car continues to recognize both chips.

·
Registered
311 Posts
if i remember correctly from tech school the light come on for key battery it means you have 90 more actuation till the battery is dead. honestly i cant remember for smart, but most european keys with transponders if the battery goes dead the trasnponder still works

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to SmartTech

I will put a new battery in tomorrow and give it a try. Right or wrong, I appreicate your suggestion.

·
5,297 Posts
I had a similar problem with one of my keys. The key had to be replaced (under the warrenty) and the key system reprogrammed. I too tried the battery first and it didn't fix it. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts