Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an issue with the smart locking up while driving? I have a 2006 Pure and on my way home from work it was just like someone slammed on the brakes hard while I was driving - car fishtailed a bit then let go and was fine - til next time - happened 5 times in a 30 minute drive. ABS light has been coming on and off but I was told that wouldn't be it - that if that light was on it just meant the abs were not working - that didn't concern me as I don't drive it in winter - any suggestions of what the issue might be?
Many thanks

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Has anyone had an issue with the smart locking up while driving? I have a 2006 Pure and on my way home from work it was just like someone slammed on the brakes hard while I was driving - car fishtailed a bit then let go and was fine - til next time - happened 5 times in a 30 minute drive. ABS light has been coming on and off but I was told that wouldn't be it - that if that light was on it just meant the abs were not working - that didn't concern me as I don't drive it in winter - any suggestions of what the issue might be?
Many thanks
The ABS system has the ability to apply the brakes when it determines that action is required. The ABS light means there is a fault in the system and likely a fault code to go with it. If I were you I would start by removing the fuse for the ABS system and see if the problem still presents itself. Be sure to check what else may be powered by that fuse and may also not function when it is removed.

If the problem does not occur with no power to the ABS system then have a qualified shop diagnose the ABS system.

·
17,344 Posts
A broken reluctor ring should not come into play unless there a braking input from the brake pedal switch.
Actually, a broken reluctor ring will cause the exact symptoms the OP is experiencing. Quote from Evilution:

Reluctor rings, also called ABS rings, are attached to each wheel to measure the rotational speed.
If one or two wheels should start rotating quicker or slower it means that the wheels are spinning or slipping. This allows the ECU to kick it with Trust/ESP or ABS if the brakes are applied.

If a ring is damaged it will send false info to the ECU causing the Trust/ESP or ABS to activate.
Perhaps what the OP is seeing is the Trust indicator.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I'm with Neon on this one. This car is old enough to have the known issue with a rusted and broken reluctor ring. The trust system will apply brakes without the brake pedal being touched based on inputs from the reluctor sensors. They are easy to check for cracks, visibly.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i had the exact same issue with my 05, two things come to mind, the condition of the tires, if worn enough this will do it as I have experienced, or rough roads (driving too fast), or slippery conditions (wet, snow, ice ect).

i would check the rings out, if they look in good shape then the pick-up, if they look clean and within clearance of the rings then tires, tire pressure, and finally driving style.

see yall at Watkins Glen!

Steveg. 05 S.MANN Cabrio.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Actually, a broken reluctor ring will cause the exact symptoms the OP is experiencing. Quote from Evilution:

Perhaps what the OP is seeing is the Trust indicator.
That is certainly possible. I was thinking that would not come into play unless there was a steering input but I don't know that for certain. Not enough info for anything more than guesses at this point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts