Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 2010 base pure. An $11000 car new with 21000 miles on the odometer. A few months ago it began giving me a hard time going into reverse. Didn’t want to do it. Last week coming out of park into either first or reverse it makes a jerking motion and refuses to move. There is a subtle grinding noise as well. If I give it some gas, after three quarters of a pedal I can force it over whatever it is and all will be normal. My first thought was a broken pad on a front wheel was binding things up. Pulled both fronts, nothing. A weird wear pattern on the right front. There was a pattern of Norma wear and then rusted space. It divided the rotor into thirds. Not rings but pieces like you would slice a pie. I think these are two separate problems.

the original problem. Is it possible the emergency brake is grabbing sometimes? If it’s transmission, it will be more $$ than I want to put in the car. I hate to junk a smart with 21000 miles but…. Let me know if you have any ideas.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to be specific so that you understood. The rotors have no grooves. Going around the rotor cutting the rotor up like a pie. 1/6 wear, 1/6 rust, 1/6 wear, 1/6 rust, 1/6 wear, 1/6 rust. I have never seen a wear pattern like that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts