Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Vendor
Discussion Starter #4
Please elaborate on the "improved shifting" 馃榾

Yes, part of the ECU tuning is recalibration of the way the car shifts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Should'nt be able to run Ad without $ amount.
I don't understand your question, but if you're asking how much is the ECU tune then we will be happy to share that information. The tune is $499.99.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to give us a call to ensure a timely answer.

It is the Holiday Season so at times there may be a delay in us answering a forum post. So please simply give us a call if a question comes to mind and we will be happy to answer it.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Premium Member

• More power
  • Improved torque
  • Improved shifting
  • Removal of speed governor
Hard to measure exactly the impact of what a $499.99 ECU Tuning kit will do when ALL the details are "behind the SM curtain" at 562-981-6800? :shrug:

Looking forward to the first OWNER feedback . . .

Vendor
Discussion Starter #7

• More power
  • Improved torque
  • Improved shifting
  • Removal of speed governor
Hard to measure exactly the impact of what a $499.99 ECU Tuning kit will do when ALL the details are "behind the SM curtain" at 562-981-6800? :shrug:

Looking forward to the first OWNER feedback . . .

Guys, Boris here (Principal of SM).

I think many and probably most of you here know our company and know how we operate. We keep things pretty straight and do not promote or sell items that we do not believe in or stand behind. If there is ever an issue we stand behind our work and our parts.

Here is the deal on the tune:

We have worked on this for well over a year with a tuning partner. We have ran several versions on our own cars for well over a year. Now that we got to the point to where we feel good about the offering we decided to release it.

We have videos, dynos and etc and we are making a nice, detailed custom online publication that will show all the details. Since we just got back from SEMA, then spent two weeks working the LA Auto Show, finishing up several projects and have the holiday season to deal with our time is rather limited. What we decided to do is simply put the info out there since we are already doing this tune in house to walk ins and let folks now that it is available.

Once we have a bit of time to catch up and our webmaster can lift his head a bit from all the other projects we will get more info published that will show those that want some additional written info. Until then we simply stated that if you are interested give us a buzz and we will share info and answer questions.

If the flash interests you, then please drop us a call.

I have it on my smart and so does Rachel (my wife and partner). The cars are here at our shop and test drives are available.

Will it make your smart a powerhouse? No, but it will make a difference and for some that difference is worth the price. For others it is not and that is ok with us.

We have two tunes available.

Stage 1 Tune

The car tested was a 2014 US Spec smart 451 1.0L naturally aspirated engine with no mods running 91 octane premium fuel on a 2WD Dyno Dynamics dyno. Gains of +5wHp were seen on the dyno @6850rpm, a 12% improvement in power with +7-8wTq gained.

Stage 2 Tune

Stage 2 includes install of headers with a Stage 2 ECU Tune. Gains over stock after installing headers and retuning were +16.1wHp a 26% increase in power over stock, with +15wTq.

Pics, video and etc will follow as promised.

Hope this helps answer some questions.

Thanks as always for your support and Happy Holidays!

Boris

Registered
A chip-tune on a normally-aspirated gasoline engine is never going to make an enormous difference, but 5 hp and 7 or 8 lb.ft of torque on an engine like ours is pretty decent (and plausible).

I'm interested in the shifting changes, too ... and also if there's a way for someone on the other side of the continent and north of an international border to get it!

Does it play nice with the Area 451 cruise control? (I would imagine that it should, since the cruise control logic isn't in the ECU, but I gotta ask just in case - they're both operating on CANbus ...)

If it's anything like the tunes offered here before, it makes shifting sharper and possibly slightly faster.

Registered
To make more power you increase RPM or Torque... By taking the RPM limiter up you accomplished that. Will be great for guys that like to run their engines balls to wall all the time...

Registered
Most interested in what the transmission shifting improvements are...
This is all I care about.
If it's anything like the tunes offered here before, it makes shifting sharper and possibly slightly faster.
What tunes have been offered before? Why are they no longer offered?
To make more power you increase RPM or Torque... By taking the RPM limiter up you accomplished that. Will be great for guys that like to run their engines balls to wall all the time...
To some degree. Barney I know you know more about this engine then I will ever, but there are some cars that get peak power in the mid range, and see no gains at the higher rpm range.
If you speak it as such, I feel it must be true that this smart engine does in fact get more hp and tq past the redline.
My question would be what does this do to the life of the engine?

Registered
These small displacement engines seem to thrive on RPM and we are probably talking 500 to 750 RPM more from the flash... Don't see it being detrimental...

Registered
Didn't that "other" tuner have a separate tune for the shift controller? How would the ECU tune change shifting...inquiring minds want to know. :)
Boris didn't spill the specifics... Possibly someone or company has cracked the "codes" and are gong directly thru the OBD port to accomplish everything...:shrug:

Registered
Exactly. Horsepower is simply torque multiplied by rpm and divided by a constant. Thus the more rpm you spin up the more horsepower you can report, up to a point. That is the basis for advertising go-faster parts.

The more important thing for a street-driven car is the area under the torque curve, in my opinion. That is why just knowing the advertised gains at high rpm can be somewhat misleading.

Disclaimer: I have no opinion about the advertised ecu tune under discussion, as I do not know anything about it. I would wonder whether it would pass a emissions inspection, in California or any other state.

Registered
Please elaborate on the "improved shifting" 馃榾

Most interested in what the transmission shifting improvements are...

Didn't that "other" tuner have a separate tune for the shift controller? How would the ECU tune change shifting...inquiring minds want to know. :)
How many people have to ask the question before the OP chimes in? :shrug:

If this cures the shifting, I'll no longer look at 2013 model years and start looking at older year models to purchase.

Registered
The simplest answer as to just how well this ECU tune performs is go to the SM shop (but NOT the S&M shop)?

It was mentioned that it is running on several of the shop's cars?
SO, if someone on here lives close by and can stop in and do a side-by-side with a similarly equipped factory smart?

I am sure that Boris would be open to such a test.

If you can run a Dyno-test on each smart, so much the better?

What tunes have been offered before? Why are they no longer offered?
Tunes by other (smaller) companies. For many of them, the price was just too high and very few smart owners paid the price. For other companies, either they went out of business or they simply stopped offering smart parts. Other than Smart Madness, there's only one company I can think of (on US soil) that still offers a smart ECU tune.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts