Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Vendor
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hi everybody,

I appreciate the discussion regarding our ECU tune. We can understand the price is high and being able to find someone to get a real world test to affirm our statements can be difficult.

I would just like to say that SMART MADNESS spent many months developing this tune for different stages for different price levels. We offer several levels of the tuning in an effort to reach consumers who not only are looking for different tune levels but different price points.

We test each tune we program before we ship it back it to ensure top quality. Yes this an expensive option toward boosting your smarts performance but please understand the price reflects the effort put in and quality of the product.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask!

·
Registered
34 Posts
We have dynos and will put them up in our digital inline broshure that is coming out. However.... Always be wary of dynos regardless of who puts them up. Dyno numbers can be "adjusted" in many ways to help sell a product. Heck, I can get a car to show a gain on a dyno after putting in a new set of floor mats. LOL!
Well duh! Just install thinner floor mats, so you can smash the gas down farther........problem solved.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Chicago Tuning

Speedriven (specializing in Lamborghini, AMG, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi tuning) out of Palatine, Illinois is currently engineering a tune that produces 7hp gain, 15tq, and .4 seconds off gear shifting. To find out more information, (847) 485-8126 and ask for Jo. They are not finished with the tune and are still engineering their Smart ECU tune. Their current price is $500 for the service.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like the brochure that Smart Madness put together. I also appreciate the Dyno Dynamics graphs for each power level too.

For the Stage 2 setup, is that dyno strictly for the Stage 2 tune and header? Or was that with one of the intake modifications offered as a Stage 2+?

Which Intake option provides the most gains in your opinion?

Are there any other supporting modifications that you would recommend? Does the motor mount make the engine feel more responsive, shifts feel firmer, or is that just so we don't break the stock one?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I like the brochure that Smart Madness put together. I also appreciate the Dyno Dynamics graphs for each power level too.

For the Stage 2 setup, is that dyno strictly for the Stage 2 tune and header? Or was that with one of the intake modifications offered as a Stage 2+?

Which Intake option provides the most gains in your opinion?

Are there any other supporting modifications that you would recommend? Does the motor mount make the engine feel more responsive, shifts feel firmer, or is that just so we don't break the stock one?
The motor mount prevents wheel hop, mostly. Spin your tires stock: BANG BANG BANG BANG... not a lot of fun. with the motor mount, you don't get so much of that. It does make the car vibrate a little. Some people don't like that. basically, that nasty rattle your hear coming from the exhaust with the stock mount goes away, and everything from your seat to your door mirrors will shake instead. I think it's an improvement.

The intake options do very little. They sound cool, and combined with a free flowing exhaust, they give you a little change in you torque curve, that I wouldn't call an "increase" in anything.

If they'd just put a bulge in that header I can claim is a cat at the emissions testing facility, I'd already be running it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys, Boris here (Principal of SM).

I think many and probably most of you here know our company and know how we operate. We keep things pretty straight and do not promote or sell items that we do not believe in or stand behind. If there is ever an issue we stand behind our work and our parts.

Here is the deal on the tune:

We have worked on this for well over a year with a tuning partner. We have ran several versions on our own cars for well over a year. Now that we got to the point to where we feel good about the offering we decided to release it.

We have videos, dynos and etc and we are making a nice, detailed custom online publication that will show all the details. Since we just got back from SEMA, then spent two weeks working the LA Auto Show, finishing up several projects and have the holiday season to deal with our time is rather limited. What we decided to do is simply put the info out there since we are already doing this tune in house to walk ins and let folks now that it is available.

Once we have a bit of time to catch up and our webmaster can lift his head a bit from all the other projects we will get more info published that will show those that want some additional written info. Until then we simply stated that if you are interested give us a buzz and we will share info and answer questions.

If the flash interests you, then please drop us a call.

I have it on my smart and so does Rachel (my wife and partner). The cars are here at our shop and test drives are available.

Will it make your smart a powerhouse? No, but it will make a difference and for some that difference is worth the price. For others it is not and that is ok with us.

We have two tunes available.

Stage 1 Tune

The car tested was a 2014 US Spec smart 451 1.0L naturally aspirated engine with no mods running 91 octane premium fuel on a 2WD Dyno Dynamics dyno. Gains of +5wHp were seen on the dyno @6850rpm, a 12% improvement in power with +7-8wTq gained.

Stage 2 Tune

Stage 2 includes install of headers with a Stage 2 ECU Tune. Gains over stock after installing headers and retuning were +16.1wHp a 26% increase in power over stock, with +15wTq.

Pics, video and etc will follow as promised.

Hope this helps answer some questions.

Thanks as always for your support and Happy Holidays!

Boris
Do you have any data from these applications on a Smart 453 with a 5-speed manual transmission?

61 - 68 of 68 Posts