Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

The front and rear valences replace your stock pieces, no cheesy half-assed methods to fasten them to the vehicle! The sideskirts are glued over the stock pieces.

A complete kit in Black (Front valence, Sideskirts, Rear Valence) is $1295....ready to paint or install as is!

The color is made to match the stock black parts, and the silver pieces are molded to match the tridion cell.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

PRICES (Excluding shipping/applicable taxes!)

Front Valence:
Silver:$410
Black: $375

Rear Valence:
Silver:$530
Black: $470

Rear Valence (Center Exhaust):
Silver:$560
Black: $500

Sideskirts:
Silver:$490
Black: $450

Roof Spoiler:
Silver:$300
Black: $270

Floor Mats:
Black: $85

Fog Lamp Inserts:
Black: $32

·
Registered
235 Posts
Is the roof spoiler on the S-mann car in your post? If so does it just stick out further?

Did they do any wind tunnel testing to see if there is any reduction in drag or improvment in high speed stability?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the roof spoiler on the S-mann car in your post? If so does it just stick out further?

Did they do any wind tunnel testing to see if there is any reduction in drag or improvment in high speed stability?

It's in the post. I'll get better pictures later tonight.

It sticks out quite a bit further than the OEM spoiler, but doesn't mess with the flow of the car like something you might find at Schucks :)

I doubt that any manufacturer of smart products have done wind tunnel testing, as this car has the aerodynamics of a brick thrown sideways ;)

·
Banned
261 Posts
Wind tunnel tests

It's in the post. I'll get better pictures later tonight.

It sticks out quite a bit further than the OEM spoiler, but doesn't mess with the flow of the car like something you might find at Schucks :)

I doubt that any manufacturer of smart products have done wind tunnel testing, as this car has the aerodynamics of a brick thrown sideways ;)
Car and Driver's review stats show a .34 CD - amazingly the new BMW 135i (same issue) has a .33 CD (only .01 less!!!) [Car and Driver, May 08 issue]

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! Is there a roof spoiler for the cabrio?
Its in development! The manufacturer thought originally that they could modify the coupe spoiler to fit but turns out they are entirely different, so new molds had to be made.

Expect it within a few weeks.

-Dan

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would just like to bump this up!

Shipping is right around $100 for the Cont. US (Entire Kit).

The rear valence has been released to the public so we now have the entire kit available for purchase. Pics to come as soon as I get mine painted and installed on my smart :)

You won't find a better priced or higher quality body kit ANYWHERE!

-Dan

·
Registered
40 Posts
The front and rear valences replace your stock pieces, no cheesy half-assed methods to fasten them to the vehicle!
This sounded promising.

The side skirts are glued over the stock pieces.
Oh no! Wouldn’t this classify as a "cheesy half-assed methods to fasten them to the vehicle"?

Do you know if you have to buy the Fog lamp Inserts if you buy the Front Valance as that certainly doesn't look like the standard opening?

Also I don't know if anyone else noticed but it appears that the Rear Valance is joint in the center? How is that from strength stand point?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh no! Wouldn’t this classify as a "cheesy half-assed methods to fasten them to the vehicle"?

Do you know if you have to buy the Fog lamp Inserts if you buy the Front Valance as that certainly doesn't look like the standard opening?

Also I don't know if anyone else noticed but it appears that the Rear Valance is joint in the center? How is that from strength stand point?
Cheesy, half-assed methods like wood screws....or screws of any fashion. Especially if you have to put those screws through your stock bodywork. I can't recall any sideskirts for the smart that are stock replacements, aside from the Brabus option which turned out to be just that! A prettied up and painted stock sideskirts.

The fog lamp inserts come with the front valence, its just that the fillers that go in place of the fog lamps themselves (If by chance you didn't order fogs, or want to delete them) are a little extra.

I'm not worried about the strength of the rear valence, it isn't a piece that is supposed to sustain any impact in the event of a collision. The black center section holds the valence together.

-Dan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cheesy, half-assed methods like wood screws....or screws of any fashion. Especially if you have to put those screws through your stock bodywork.
So are you sure there are ZERO screws needed to install this body kit, even on the Side Skirts which have obvious mounting holes?

Also I'm not sure if screws are your body works only enemy as once those Skirts are glued to the originals I'm sure you can't decide to remove them without damaging the original skirts which will then have to be replaced?

I'm not worried about the strength of the rear valence, it isn't a piece that is supposed to sustain any impact in the event of a collision. The black center section holds the valence together.
Well I wasn't so much referring to strength on impact more the general strength of the Rear Valance during high speed driving. With there being a join in it's center you would imagine that would question it's integrity?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So are you sure there are ZERO screws needed to install this body kit, even on the Side Skirts which have obvious mounting holes?

Also I'm not sure if screws are your body works only enemy as once those Skirts are glued to the originals I'm sure you can't decide to remove them without damaging the original skirts which will then have to be replaced?
I'll admit it, you got me.

I took a really close look at the pictures I have of the silver side skirts and found a number of holes tucked up along the upper inside edge. They don't show too well in the pictures of the black version.

Per my conversation with the manufacturer when I first enquired about their products I asked if it had to be screwed into the stock pieces, the answer I received was that it wasn't necessary but an option.

I'm personally of the belief that the adhesive itself will do an adequate job of holding the side skirts all by itself, as it is pretty tough stuff.

I still believe that the S-Mann products are the best bang for the buck. They are currently (at time of writing this) the most cost effective solution offered in the US.

As far as removing them goes, why would you want to do that?!? :p

A little safety wire and patience goes a long way when it comes to cutting through adhesives. Don't go gung-ho and the pieces will be fine. Its the same method used for emblem removal from the trunk and boot but with upgraded materials.

Well I wasn't so much referring to strength on impact more the general strength of the Rear Valance during high speed driving. With there being a join in it's center you would imagine that would question it's integrity?
Once again I'm not too worried about it. With the amount of surface area dedicated to mounting they will be sturdy enough to withstand what most owners can put them through.

We are not running 200mph cars here, nor would I expect any valence to withstand multiple curb hits without having something to show for it.

-Dan

(PS: I'll post up the parts in the raw, now how many other vendors will do that? ;) )

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
XXX rated S-Mann pics! Over 18 only!

Here they are, as promised. 100% fully in the nude...

I don't have pictures of the black rear valences, but they look just like thier silver counterparts....except not silver. My new order ships out next week I believe, the manufacturer ran out of parts (market is excellent in the UK) and had to get some more made up.

-Dan

·
Registered
40 Posts
I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions and I'm sure the extra photos will be of benefit to the forum members in making an educated choice, it also shows you have little to hide other than learning about them on the fly ;)

As far as removing them goes, why would you want to do that?!?
Well people tastes can change with time and it's a good idea that a customers has a good understanding in advance of what they might be getting themselves into if they decide they would like to go back to the original Side Skirts.

This point also came about as we were addressing "half-assed methods" of installation which involve damaging your cars body work.

A little safety wire and patience goes a long way when it comes to cutting through adhesives. Don't go gung-ho and the pieces will be fine. Its the same method used for emblem removal from the trunk and boot but with upgraded materials.
I don't think we are comparing apples to apples on this one, I'd like to see someone successfully run a piece of safety wire behind the contours of these Side Skirts to cut through the commercial grade caulking glue S-Mann recommends for installing their parts.

The only reason I am addressing this issue is because I am familiar with issues people had with the previous generations of Side Skirts that upon removal their original Side Skirts needed to be replaced due to severe damage.

Once again I'm not too worried about it. With the amount of surface area dedicated to mounting they will be sturdy enough to withstand what most owners can put them through.
Should we really consider the 2 inch top lip of the Rear Valance to be a substantial amount of surface area?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions and I'm sure the extra photos will be of benefit to the forum members in making an educated choice, it also shows you have little to hide other than learning about them on the fly ;)
These cars are new for me, but I've been in the tuning scene as long as I've been driving. I really cut my teeth on older BMWs and have to admit that I'm learning new stuff everyday.

Well people tastes can change with time and it's a good idea that a customers has a good understanding in advance of what they might be getting themselves into if they decide they would like to go back to the original Side Skirts.

This point also came about as we were addressing "half-assed methods" of installation which involve damaging your cars body work.

I don't think we are comparing apples to apples on this one, I'd like to see someone successfully run a piece of safety wire behind the contours of these Side Skirts to cut through the commercial grade caulking glue S-Mann recommends for installing their parts.

The only reason I am addressing this issue is because I am familiar with issues people had with the previous generations of Side Skirts that upon removal their original Side Skirts needed to be replaced due to severe damage.
Since the skirts come pre-drilled for mounting screws would it make sense to only use the adhesive where it is absolutely needed? I have no plans on removing mine, but as an idea it would be possible to only glue the top. You eliminate the funny angles to work around during removal and minimize the chance of damaging your stock pieces.

Should we really consider the 2 inch top lip of the Rear Valance to be a substantial amount of surface area?
Its not the width that matters, but the length in this case. That strip runs the entire length of the valence and wraps around the sides as well.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The S-Mann kit seems like one of the best body kits out there in terms of quality, looks and price.
Absolutely, all of the other kits made from plastic are priced well above what an average enthusiast is willing to spend. Quality is without equal, this kit fits the car like nothing else I've installed.

Now sale priced @ $1250 shipped in the Cont. US!

Thanks for your support ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts