Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The biggest thing holding me back right now from purchasing a 2012 smart is the fact no one will work on them in my area. If I have a problem it is going to have to go to a dealership. Can anyone in the Atlanta GA or Asheville NC area recommend a good mechanic that can work on a smart besides a dealership? I would think since they use a Mitsubishi engine that surely someone besides a smart dealer could.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
You have to do what you feel is right for you. When I got my first smart, a 2008, Having a (somewhat) local dealer helped a lot! but then they were new to the country and parts were hard to find. With my 2009, I only had an issue once, and they replaced the trans and clutch, which later turned into a software issue. I have had a few problems that could have been a easy fix with a dealer close by, (smart changed back to MB dealers) but I was able to fix everything myself with a little back yard engineering. My latest 2008 has not been to the dealer yet and I kind of use them as a last resort.

You are in with a group that has been through just about everything and can give you an idea where to look for any problems that come up. we can"t replace a dealer, but we can give you some clues. In the end, it is your decision.

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts