Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 2018 Smart Passion (5,256 miles) equipped with the Smart Media System from a MB dealer in Kansas. It was $850 to ship the car to Ocala Florida (dealer paid $250 of the $850). The car arrived without the SD Memory Card.

I ended up buying the SD Memory Card (Part Number 4539067101) from a MB dealer in Tampa Florida. The card was $440 plus tax plus FedEx from Germany = $502.35 total. I basically wanted the card so I could just set the clocks!!!

I inserted the Memory Card into the car's SD slot; and, successfully installed the North American/Mexico maps. However, I was still unable to set the clocks!!!

I registered with the Smart TomTom site so I could update the Memory Card. From an older post "the smart/tomtom website shows you can "update system" but says to connect Via USB which there are no slots on the Unit" is overcome by just inserting my VALID memory card into my computer's SD slot (or reader). It will then show the Smart Media System as an equipment option that you can select. Updating was then seamless.

I re-inserted the updated memory card into the car's SD slot; and, updated the Smart Media System. There were four updated available on the Smart TomTom site. I download all four to my new memory card at the same time. After the updates were installed, I was able to access the Clock Setting functions and set my clocks!!! Navigation works like a charm!!!

I ordered off of Amazon, a $120 SD card duplicator. It is a stand alone device that does not require a computer. The device is scheduled to be delivered Saturday (6/25/22). Hopefully I'll be able to make a working backup copy? I'll post my my results/success/failure then. Here is the link below:

www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: BestDuplicator - 1 to 2 Target SD/MicroSD 1:2 Copy Portable Flash Duplicator : Electronics
Amazon.com: BestDuplicator - 1 to 2 Target SD/MicroSD 1:2 Copy Portable Flash Duplicator : Electronics

www.amazon.com

·
Registered
154 Posts
You will really like the 453 Fortwo, but the media unit with screen is a can of worms, as you have found out. Here in the UK, the update sorted out the clock function, but it also removed the speed camera warnings from the sat nav. This was due to many countries in Mainland Europe (not UK) now giving fines to owners with speed camera warnings on their sat nav, so smart in its ultimate wisdom removed this function for all owners, and that included the UK.

If you ever find your media system freezing up, then press the HOME button 5 times, and it should reboot. If it does not reboot then disconect car battery for awhile and reconnect, it should then reboot.

Before i bought the 453, I was on a 453 forum for a year and saw the problems of the media unit, so I bought a Passion Cabrio that had the basic radio and it has no problems at all. Its basic but just gives me what i want and that is music, either from radio stations or plugging in a memory stick :D
Basic 453 radio.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts