Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I live in Naples area and wanted to know if we could get a group of us together from Marco Island to Sarasota (??) for a meet? Is there a Smart Car group in the area?

I look forward to your responses.

Olivia

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,854 Posts
There used to be a group in the Tampa area that was fairly active. I do not know if they are still doing anything or not. There is a newer group in the Orlando area that promotes on Instagram. Later this month (June 24) there will be a National Florida smart car rally in Jacksonville. It will last for a few days. Info on Facebook and hosted by Marvin and Vickie Shavers.

·
3,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Jacksonville. What part of Florida are you in? We used to have an active club here, but time moves on and people lose interest. I would love to see a new club get started again, but I don't know if there are enough enthusiastic smart owners to make it happen.

George

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Jacksonville. What part of Florida are you in? We used to have an active club here, but time moves on and people lose interest. I would love to see a new club get started again, but I don't know if there are enough enthusiastic smart owners to make it happen.

George
I’m located in the Fort Myers area.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

George
So, what do you think happened with smart? Mazda Miata clubs I still going pretty good in the miata's have been around far longer than smart.
Even the get-together at the Shelby museum last Saturday there were 10 Cobra Kit cars.
I don't think we could get 5 smarts together at one time.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
There are still large Corvette clubs, Mustang, Camaro, Trans Am, Mini, Fiat, Cadillac, etc. You never see Pacer, Pinto, and Vega clubs. Folks that bought the smart car in the being. They wanted to share their smart experience with other owners. A venue drive, photos of the members cars. Then off for a friendly lunch or dinner.

Our old Mo Kan, had a large club here. We ventured off to many towns, and different cities. We always had something planned each month.

Those events are over, like the passing of the smart here. I say move to Europe, where the smart cars clubs are still extremely strong.

·
3,854 Posts
So, what do you think happened with smart? Mazda Miata clubs I still going pretty good in the miata's have been around far longer than smart.
Even the get-together at the Shelby museum last Saturday there were 10 Cobra Kit cars.
I don't think we could get 5 smarts together at one time.
I have been a street rodder longer than a smart enthusiast. The club I helped form about 30 years ago has now disbanded. At one time we were the largest street rod club in North America as recognized by the National Street Rod Association. Members aged out, lost interest, died, went into senior living facilities, etc. The local smart club had a younger age demographic than the street rodders, but still life got in the way. I think a lot of the smart owners in the club were just buying the latest fad car or toy. Most were not lifelong car enthusiasts and were just enamored with the shiny new head turner. I have been involved with car clubs since I was 17 and I am now 75, so I think I qualify as a lifelong enthusiast. Certain marque clubs still seem to thrive. Mazda, Porsche, etc. The most club activity I see in this area (northeast Florida) are the young guys with the Japanese sedans that have been lowered, giant stereos, and dangerously cambered wheels. The lowriders are still popular in parts of the country (mostly west coast) but never caught on in this area.

I think a smart club could still be viable in a larger town. There are a lot of new smart owners with used cars that have shown an interest in modding their cars and being active. Maybe some of the newer owners could try starting a new club in their area. I know if a new one started in this area, I would be ready to join and help all I could.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have been a street rodder longer than a smart enthusiast. Members aged out, lost interest, died, went into senior living facilities, etc. The local smart club had a younger age demographic than the street rodders, but still life got in the way. I think a lot of the smart owners in the club were just buying the latest fad car or toy. Most were not lifelong car enthusiasts and were just enamored with the shiny new head turner.
I think a smart club could still be viable in a larger town.
While I agree with your above statement in bold. Smart in the US was a curiosity cute novelty plastic toy car, not taken seriously at lease by most "Car"people.

I have to disagree on any new sizeable clubs starting, even in a big city. You would be extremely lucky to get 4 of the "New" smart owners together for 1or2 meetings.
I have tried to make contact with
VegasVallie and CountryMouseSmart both from Las Vegas to, tell them if they show up at the Shelby museum on Saturdays at 8am there are 1 or 2 smarts that show up.
So far no replies. I think they may have
realized owning a smart is not as cheap and carefree as they thought and sold their "cute" smarts an moved on. I even sent PM's to them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts