Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago, I had a 60k mile service. Over 5 bills not bad. Since I can't do my own anymore. Get the car back, seat beat sensor gone bad. Item covered under 10 year warranty, not a big deal. Now the blower motor is out for the second time, since owning the smart. It's winter time. Give me a break. This is a part, that should last the life of any new vehicle.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. But, be glad your earlier repairs were performed at a distance (presumably) of less than 300 miles from home, since you didn't mention it as a further irritant.

Yes, on the motor. Electric motors have been around for a long time. They're not complicated devices. Normally they last for decades. Maybe ours are too smart?

·
Registered
329 Posts
The brushes are located at the end of the commutator instead of in the middle. This drags copper from the end and slowly shorts out the armature, pole to pole. Break these edges with a triangle file and it will last a few years between failures.

·
Super Moderator
28,247 Posts
Possibly because many of us expect better from a Mercedes product, but then these motors are used in the large Mercedes too - and go bad in those cars. :)

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Completely dead blower motor. 2nd one in this vehicle. No fix. No excuse!

·
17,352 Posts
Maybe there's a trend in this. Anyone with a car newer than 2009 that had a blower go?

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think the blower motor has change unit wise. First one the bearings were shot. under warranty, 2010. Sounded like the little piggy on the insurance company spots. This one, it went to blower motor heaven. I've owned over 40 new cars, I couldn't count used ones. I had one blower motor, that went out, on a 1974 Ford Econline. 35 bucks. 2 in one car is really a heard of??? My daughter can't afford the high MB service cost.

At least the seat belt sensor is getting replaced free today.

·
17,352 Posts
I mean it could be something unrelated to the blower itself, like some outside source that's causing the blowers to die? :confused:

You know, just like how smart figured out the cause of blowing headlights to be too much voltage and added resistors to new cars.

MB/smart makes rolling changes each year that owners sometimes don't even hear about. Like how the door rollers changed from plastic to metal and such...

·
17,352 Posts
Isn't it your daughter's car now? I bet she hates it now more than ever! :eek: :)

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Neon, she just wrote on Facebook, that she hopes it comes back fixed this time. She wanted the smart car, to save on gas, going back and forth from college. She mention she blew all that savings at service department 500 bucks for the 60K service. The seat belt sensor. Now this crap. Head lamps and blower motors. It might be time, in spring finding another vehicle. All cars break, but 2 blower motors, in a short life time of a vehicle, is BS.

Guess who's paying the MB bill? I know she can't afford it with college.

·
17,352 Posts
If it weren't for my warranty, I would've been screwed with last year's side skirt fiasco and this year's thermostat fury.

Shoot, and I've given up on having my dealer do maintenance. I'd rather do it myself, save money, and teach myself something. :)

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's the middle of winter here. Ice, and snow. Almosts 3 days later, waitng on a part. Finally getting a $$$$$ blower motor, from MB. A part like that would seem to be common. Hope this one lasts the rest of the life of the car.

My wife made a comment to the MB service advistor. This is the second blower, replaced in this car. He just replies, that just happens. Takes the check for the repair. Ya ya ya ya ya!!!!!

A third ones is not going to be a charm. Hello Honda used car lot.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The point is, they carry the same defective part too. First motor lasted almost 2 years. The second a little over 3 years. Same with the crazed roof. Let just put the same defective parts on again.

So much for brand loyalty.

·
Super Moderator
28,247 Posts
There is some good news here; most of us paid around $16K new for our cars; at least we didn't pay $60K for an E-Class with the same failing blower motor. :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts