Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 164,000 miles of pretty trouble-free miles (and after he totaled his truck) we sold our '08 451Cabrio to one of our grandsons. Two weeks later this happened:

Car Sky Tire Cloud Vehicle
For some reason, the lady driving the SUV thought it would be a good idea to pull out in front of him and he hit at about 35 mph. Unfortunately for her, there is a security camera overlooking the site of the wreck!
The airbags did not deploy, the only broken window is the drivers side, and he only had a cut on his arm, thank goodness.
Our flatbed-owning friend happened to come by:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Think it'll buff out?;)

Now the fun begins: She works at a local body shop (that we "used to" patronize), maintains she wasn't at fault (are you going to believe me or that lying video?), and has the same insurance carrier as my grandson.(It's a small town...). I think they should make it whole, either by fixing it or replacing it. We'll see...

This is the second car that a grandson wrecked; the first was an '04 Prius with 300K on the clock (also trouble free!) he hit a black bear and totaled the car!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,165 Posts
Thanks for sharing, glad to hear that smart kept your Grandson “safe.”

Sounds like the video will sort out the “fault” and your narrative suggests Grandson sore & MY08 smart cabby no more…

Pretty good hit on that right corner and likely the age/miles and vehicle value will result in a repair cost beyond limits?

While no air bags deploying raises questions, that might lessen the repair estimate???

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Grandson okay, that's important. Reminds me of my daughter's own crash on icy intersection in an '09 when she walked out. Car looks repairable. Buy it back if insurance wants to total it.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
498 Posts
That's a shame, but glad everybody's okay. I would expect insurance to total it out, if you had popped an airbag there'd be no question, they're very expensive to replace.

I had a 2008 coupe just like it, always loved the black and white.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Likely the crash area just missed one of the air bag bumper sensors, getting hit like that. So air bags did not go off.

You just cannot rely on air bags.....My niece's car got hit head on in a single track road afew years back, and the other car went over the bonnet so her air bags did not go off, as no front bumper sensors were hit. Luckily the car stopped short of getting into the cabin space, so she survived with just whiplash. But her car was written off.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Ditto it going to be totaled. Looks like there is some suspension damage too. See what the insurance company gives you for it, buy a newer one with less mileage.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
901 Posts
I would say it’s likely totaled.
There is some salvageable parts on it(top and what panels that didn’t get hit among a lot of other parts)
Buy back and part out if you can and get a newer one.
Cars can be replaced someone’s life can’t.
The car did its job and kept your grandson alive.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well those Smart safety cell are just amazing... the residual value for 2008 Smart w/100+K miles ???. If you got place to store it, buy it back and sell for parts content! Glad driver was OK, cars can always be replaced!

·
Registered
5 Posts
After 164,000 miles of pretty trouble-free miles (and after he totaled his truck) we sold our '08 451Cabrio to one of our grandsons. Two weeks later this happened:

View attachment 68983 For some reason, the lady driving the SUV thought it would be a good idea to pull out in front of him and he hit at about 35 mph. Unfortunately for her, there is a security camera overlooking the site of the wreck!
The airbags did not deploy, the only broken window is the drivers side, and he only had a cut on his arm, thank goodness.
Our flatbed-owning friend happened to come by:

View attachment 68985

View attachment 68986

Think it'll buff out?;)

Now the fun begins: She works at a local body shop (that we "used to" patronize), maintains she wasn't at fault (are you going to believe me or that lying video?), and has the same insurance carrier as my grandson.(It's a small town...). I think they should make it whole, either by fixing it or replacing it. We'll see...

This is the second car that a grandson wrecked; the first was an '04 Prius with 300K on the clock (also trouble free!) he hit a black bear and totaled the car!
Poor little guy laying on his side😭Lol, glad your grandkid is ok

1 - 20 of 20 Posts