Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Passion Cabriolet, (red on black) and all the body panels, except the doors, have spots or areas where the color is fading and now the clear is peeling in a few spots.
I contacted the Mercedes Benz corporate office about the issue. The initial contact was on March 13, I heard nothing about it for a month so I emailed them again on April 18, and they finally responded.
They asked for pictures, so I sent them some, they called me back and asked me to bring it to the Smart dealer, 40 miles away, to have it "inspected" by them, I brought it up there today (9:30am 04/20/2012) the gentleman at the dealership (Jim) took numerous photos and looked at all the spots, he told me he'd send the photos to smart and let me know what they said. But they'd have to replace almost all the panels.
At 4:30pm this afternoon I got a phone call from Andrew (from Mercedes Benz) who said the dealer determined that it was an outside source that caused the damage, and that they were closing my case and there was nothing I could do. He was very rude something I wouldn't expect from Mercedes Benz office. I was always under the impression that they cared about their customers.
I called the dealer asking that they clarify what the "outside source" was that caused the damage, and Jim said he never actually got a hold of Andrew, but left him a message Jim said that in his opinion "it was an out side source", I asked him what. He commented about the fact that I had waxed the car, I told him that I waxed it by hand, not using any kind of equipment, to which he responded "I'm not even sure if you can wax a smart car". I said to him that I had talked to the service dept at the dealership and asked them about waxing it and they told me as long as it was a good quality wax it would be fine.
I'm extremely disappointed with this, I dont know why they won't stand behind this considering in my owners manual it says to clean using "car shampoo concentrate, hard wax, insect remover for insect remains, polish"
Has anyone else experienced this?

·
17,479 Posts
As far as useless service...yep...my dealer's run by knuckleheads. Once they told me they'd call me back in 15 minutes (regarding pod install)...it took them 2 days!!

As far as your panels go...Sorry to say but if you're out of warranty then you're responsible for fixing the problem. If the car went for three years before fading and peeling then I'd agree that some outside chemical had its ways with your car.

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Something similar here: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/delaminating-panel-41501/

smart USA has handled this with the OP in that thread. I don't think you've found the right person at your dealer (not sure if a smart can be waxed - really???) or at smartUSA. If you are not on smartusainsider.com yet, I suggest you join (the "official" smart site) and contact Eric Angeloro directly for assistance. :)

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts

·
Banned
907 Posts
As far as your panels go...Sorry to say but if you're out of warranty then you're responsible for fixing the problem.
That's completely true....but still, it's not a bad idea to ask for help when something like this happens after the warranty has expired. If you're a solid customer with a history of having your vehicle serviced at a smart/MB dealership, they're likely to do everything they can to help you out. What most people don't realize is that your service history is the key. If you've never had the car back to the dealer and choose to have it maintained elsewhere, the Case Manager will know that (they have access to all company dealership records) and will not be as likely to provide any kind of assistance for issues arising after the warranty has expired. But if you've regularly used the dealership to repair/maintain your vehicle, they'll often do everything within their power to help you out.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
That's completely true....but still, it's not a bad idea to ask for help when something like this happens after the warranty has expired. If you're a solid customer with a history of having your vehicle serviced at a smart/MB dealership, they're likely to do everything they can to help you out. What most people don't realize is that your service history is the key. If you've never had the car back to the dealer and choose to have it maintained elsewhere, the Case Manager will know that (they have access to all company dealership records) and will not be as likely to provide any kind of assistance for issues arising after the warranty has expired. But if you've regularly used the dealership to repair/maintain your vehicle, they'll often do everything within their power to help you out.
Except for Owners in Minnesota who went to Smart Center Bloomington. Those records were kept with the original dealer and Smart does not have access to those.

Keeping you receipts is a good idea as well... Good luck with the panels!:wink:

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
I notice my black shiny trim around the rear fading. Just took Meguiars Scratch Remover to it to bring back the gloss shine. I was on my own there. The car sits outside a lot now.
Out of warranty. Plastic, and the sun, don't mix well.

I would say too, the OP cars is way out of warranty. He's on his own. I'd buy new/used panels, or have the originals re clear coated, at a body shop. Red cars, fade easy.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,764 Posts
I have a 2009 Passion Cabriolet, (red on black) and all the body panels, except the doors, have spots or areas where the color is fading and now the clear is peeling in a few spots.
I contacted the Mercedes Benz corporate office about the issue.

. . . the dealer determined that it was an outside source that caused the damage, and that they were closing my case and there was nothing I could do.
FACT: Of course you can wax a smart . . .

FACT: Your red on black 2009 Cabrio has "spots or areas where the color is fading and now the clear is peeling in a few spots."

FACT: Your 2009 smart is well beyond the factory warranty and since March 13 you have been in contact with smart/MB regarding your concerns.
It is not unreasonable that after reviewing your case/photos that MB would request that you drive 40 miles for further inspection.

As delaminating or clear coat peeling of smart panels appears to be isolated to only a few cases, the MB response laying blame to "it was an out side source" is not a surprise. Even when a manufactuer utilizes the latest in paint and coating technologies plastic and painted surfaces are sometimes no match for sun, weather, acid rain and other environmental pollutants.

My friend you are not negotiating from a position of strength here. That being said, rather than damning smart/MB follow the sage advice of others who have suggested that you contact Eric Aneloro at DVI. In your friendliest tone, "request" that he assist you with your problem as again, you are clearly beyond warranty.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I contacted the Mercedes Benz corporate office about the issue. The initial contact was on March 13, I heard nothing about it for a month so I emailed them again on April 18, and they finally responded.
They asked for pictures, so I sent them some, they called me back and asked me to bring it to the Smart dealer, 40 miles away, to have it "inspected" by them, I brought it up there today (9:30am 04/20/2012) the gentleman at the dealership (Jim) took numerous photos and looked at all the spots, he told me he'd send the photos to smart and let me know what they said. But they'd have to replace almost all the panels.
At 4:30pm this afternoon I got a phone call from Andrew (from Mercedes Benz) who said the dealer determined that it was an outside source that caused the damage, and that they were closing my case and there was nothing I could do. He was very rude something I wouldn't expect from Mercedes Benz office. I was always under the impression that they cared about their customers.
I called the dealer asking that they clarify what the "outside source" was that caused the damage, and Jim said he never actually got a hold of Andrew, but left him a message Jim said that in his opinion "it was an out side source", I asked him what. He commented about the fact that I had waxed the car, I told him that I waxed it by hand, not using any kind of equipment, to which he responded "I'm not even sure if you can wax a smart car". I said to him that I had talked to the service dept at the dealership and asked them about waxing it and they told me as long as it was a good quality wax it would be fine.
I'm extremely disappointed with this, I dont know why they won't stand behind this considering in my owners manual it says to clean using "car shampoo concentrate, hard wax, insect remover for insect remains, polish"
Has anyone else experienced this?
I would say an outside factor caused this as well. Somewhere/somehow a chemical has reacted with the clear causing it to become damaged. There are too many factors in this, best bet would be to post pictures.

·
Banned
907 Posts
Except for Owners in Minnesota who went to Smart Center Bloomington. Those records were kept with the original dealer and Smart does not have access to those.

Keeping you receipts is a good idea as well... Good luck with the panels!:wink:
As far as I know, they have access to all records from every smart center in the country. Everything is computerized and shared with corporate. What makes you think that Bloomington is any different?

·
Banned
907 Posts
Only the warranty claims would be in the system. If you went in for an oil change at a dealer it wouldn't show up in MB's computers.
Yes, it would. If you bought tires at the dealer, that would show up too. I know that for a fact. Any money you spend at a dealer is exactly what a Case Manager is looking for. They aren't nearly as concerned with warranty claims because you're not spending your own money for a warranty repair. There was a lady who asked for help getting a broken keyfob remote replaced and the Case Manager helped her after he determined that she was a longterm customer who had not only purchased two cars, but had also paid her local dealership to do a long list of maintenance on both vehicles. This included brake jobs, new tires, lots of oil changes, etc...

·
17,479 Posts
My dealer didn't put me into their system until I had them fix my alignment. I bought trim rings for the instrument pods the week before...

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
there was [evidently] a problem with some non-MB-related Smart centers not getting their records electronically stored, and now they've been lost. Really bad especially with regard to some warranties. ALWAYS keep your receipts!

·
Banned
907 Posts
My dealer didn't put me into their system until I had them fix my alignment. I bought trim rings for the instrument pods the week before...
Your information was put into the system the day you drove your car off the lot. If not, then someone at the dealership screwed up from day one. And anything you purchase from the dealer is part of your record unless you pay cash and use a false name. Other than that, there's really no way to prevent having a history with your dealer and MB corporate. Trust me, I'm very familiar with the system and how it works. Case Managers also run your VIN through Carfax to get accident and/or mileage data when reviewing a case. It's standard operating procedure.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts