Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comfort Pkg,anti Theft,custom Painted Wheels,cargo Cover,mats,cd Storage,ash Tray,sunglass Holder,tray Liner,cargo Net,
Msrp$15,590,total Options $2,597,total $18,187
(856)324-3961

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Like Edison and so many other dealers now taking advantage of the demand and tacking on unwanted stuff to increase their profit. IMHO it just isn't worth it. I'm also noticing dealers have to search for buyers to get rid of their over optioned orphans. People will walk in off the street and be shocked to pay so much for so little. Just my 2 cents...no flamage please.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree... if it didn't have all that crap loaded into it - it would probably have been driven home weeks ago! The little stuff isn't that bad... but those painted wheels are very expensive - and very subjective - and hard to swallow when its being jammed down your throat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Like Edison and so many other dealers now taking advantage of the demand and tacking on unwanted stuff to increase their profit. IMHO it just isn't worth it. I'm also noticing dealers have to search for buyers to get rid of their over optioned orphans. People will walk in off the street and be shocked to pay so much for so little. Just my 2 cents...no flamage please.
Yep that about sums it up.

·
Super Moderator
28,770 Posts
While I agree, they've put it out there for sale; individual choice on whether to buy or not. I appreciate the info being put on here to allow someone the opportunity, should they choose, to put a smart in their driveway. :)

Probably should be in the Marketplace though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I say getting an orphan is worth it- basically to end this deaded waiting game and start saving money on gas! Prior to adopting my orphan (with about $2.5k options pre-added, but NOT "painted wheels", that's kinda hard to take) I was driving an SUV getting 17 mpg if I was LUCKY. I'd rather pay extra and GET SOMETHING for it rather than paying into someone's greed on ebay or craigslist...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
GHAS - I agree with you. My only problem with this tactic is the keyword "economy". Many of us just wanted inexpensive transport including the great mileage. Bumping up the price $2500 will put it out of reach for many people: ie students, those on a strict budget....etc The model I had on order would have only been $12,800. That's a far cry from $18,900. Also considering this is a MB dealer, they can make a lot of profit on those cars instead of stiffing the smart buyer. Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
341 Posts
GHAS - I agree with you. My only problem with this tactic is the keyword "economy". Many of us just wanted inexpensive transport including the great mileage. Bumping up the price $2500 will put it out of reach for many people: ie students, those on a strict budget....etc The model I had on order would have only been $12,800. That's a far cry from $18,900. Also considering this is a MB dealer, they can make a lot of profit on those cars instead of stiffing the smart buyer. Again, just my opinion.
If you want the "economy" of an affordable car, put down a $99 reservation and wait.

Think about it -- if the orphans were stripped of all the "goodies," why would anyone wait for the car they ordered? They'd buy the car and cancel their order, and new buyers wouldn't place new orders. Dealers would have to take the risk of importing them without buyers. For a new car with limited appeal (no matter how you slice it, these aren't going to sell like any sedan would), I doubt that's a business model that Penske (or any other dealer) would willingly take on.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I say getting an orphan is worth it- basically to end this deaded waiting game and start saving money on gas! Prior to adopting my orphan (with about $2.5k options pre-added, but NOT "painted wheels", that's kinda hard to take) I was driving an SUV getting 17 mpg if I was LUCKY. I'd rather pay extra and GET SOMETHING for it rather than paying into someone's greed on ebay or craigslist...
The return on investment of the $2500 more you paid even at 40 mpg in the Smart at $4.15 a gallon will take over 3 years to breakeven at 15,000 miles per year. Money wise it does not make sense, emotionally it might

·
Registered
422 Posts
The return on investment of the $2500 more you paid even at 40 mpg in the Smart at $4.15 a gallon will take over 3 years to breakeven at 15,000 miles per year. Money wise it does not make sense, emotionally it might
I was actually against the dealer add ons until you made this post. Heck if at the end of the three years and I believe shorter at the rate fuel prices are rising, I could have the bells and whistles to show for it I think I'd pay the extra just like gotta have a SMART would. Don't like the painted wheels though.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
LoJack isn't much of a bell or whistle for $900-1200. Who on earth is going to steal a fortwo? It's the most conspicuos car in the country. hehehe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thats Why!!

This is exactly the reason I cancelled my reservation My smart was due 4/09-6/09 But I really needed a new car now ( the a/c went) but I refused to BEND OVER for the dealer to make a fast buck on BS.They could put in a scangage or extended warrenty in things that made sense.The smart is the coolest car I seen in my lifetime,but greedy dealers have ruined that for me.
Jimrb66:(

·
Super Moderator
28,770 Posts
So, to get this back on track, if you don't want to buy the car, fine. No need to carry on about it here where the dealer is trying to sell it. People will either buy it or they won't - their choice. I think there is a loooong existing thread about dealer add-ons. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
OK, let me get this straight. We all have complained here for about a year now regarding unecessary dealer add-ons/rip-offs and now not only are you allowing them to post said rip-offs here but you are defending them? Sheesh!
I guess I'm done here.

·
Super Moderator
28,770 Posts
Bob, chill out. I guess we could impose some form of censorship for what people didn't like - remember the initial gay smart owners thread flap? The end result would probably be very few approved posts for anything.

I'm not a big fan of people asking $2-3K over MSRP for their smarts, but it's a free country. Same with selling radios for what I consider exorbitant amounts.

They get to put items up for sale, and the potential buyers vote with their wallets. I'm not saying I agree with the add-ons, but I do support anyone's right to post something for sale here at whatever price they want to ask. :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
To digress, I know salesmen at C. Hill and if you are on the waiting list with a specific car in mind, they probably WILL try to accomodate you without expensive add-ons. If that's your game as I've said before, get familiar with your salesman so they'll remember you. :)

~Bob - Chillin'~

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
OK, let me get this straight. We all have complained here for about a year now regarding unecessary dealer add-ons/rip-offs and now not only are you allowing them to post said rip-offs here but you are defending them? Sheesh!
I guess I'm done here.
goodby....................................................................*

1 - 20 of 27 Posts