Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whose car this is (was)? Nobody was injured. I don't have a way to edit the video, but the very brief report with two photos is just past the halfway point. This occurred on July 21.

Leesburg Today - The Journal of Loudoun County

So how did this happen? The fire is in the back of the car -- did the engine overheat? It has been about 100 degrees every day lately, and the location of the car fire was possibly near the peak of an uphill grade. I know this is all speculation without the owner's comments -- have there been other such incidents?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Interesting video...actually got bored. Why is a carbeque news?

To answer the question, I only have heard of one other smart per this forum in an overheat situation. I believe it is because of a loose radiator cap with no warning light.

Always check the cap on any vehicle. Millions of cars run 110+ temps all the time with no problems.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Come on pack-smart, those 18 seconds weren't boring, it was the rest of the capsule that was.

CERTAINLY relevant to this forum. It would be helpful to know what caused the fire.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
We can't speculate without facts ... how do we know it was a defect, dragging brush, loose oil / fuel cap, etc? The facts would be good to know, for prevention, regardless.

·
Super Moderator
11,230 Posts
Laugh if you will but I have one in my car.... There was a mention of a smart that had a rag left on the motor from an oil change that eventually caught on fire.

Yesterday in heavy slow moving traffic, my temp was up around 205 per ScangaugeII

·
Registered
226 Posts
A cashier at Costco asked me if I was the person with the smart car and wondered if it was mine that caught fire. First, I was amazed he knew what I drove and I had not heard of the smart car that caught on fire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was my 2008 Passion and I just found this Forum! I reported it to SMART of Tysons who notified SMART USA and neither were interested in finding out what caused the fire!! I suspect it was an air conditioner electric problem. I turned it over to my insurance company to pursue. I hope no one else ever has to escape in 30 seconds or less!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
That is horrible and I'm sorry that happened to you. That is a horrible thing for anybody to have to go through. I hope everything works out okay for you. It is sad that Smart USA had no interest in knowing what caused the fire.

On a side note, you signed up in January of 2008. Guess you forgot you were a member?

·
5,297 Posts
It was my 2008 Passion and I just found this Forum! I reported it to SMART of Tysons who notified SMART USA and neither were interested in finding out what caused the fire!! I suspect it was an air conditioner electric problem. I turned it over to my insurance company to pursue. I hope no one else ever has to escape in 30 seconds or less!

I see you found us and welcome...let us know if you ever hear anything back.
Take the initiative and contact smartUSA yourself...refer to the story about the one in VA if needed. [email protected]

·
17,356 Posts
ewsweet - Call Jill the smartUSA head, she'll be happy to assist you.

Sorry about your smart, but at least you get a new one? :)

·
Banned
936 Posts
interesting........that smart USA and your smart center weren't the least bit curious.

but then again, they would have blamed the fire on the installation of either an aftermarket stereo or a scangauge. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
In most cases it falls to your insurance company to determine the cause of the fire. If they belive it is a design fault then they go after the manufature of the vehicle. If it was aftermarket product then the insurance company will go after the manufacture or installer of the product.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts