Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I WILL put a Smart on water. -N.E.Ohio-
After being pushed into early retirement, (50). :D My wife says I need a project to keep me out of her hair. :eek:
I have spent hours searching for a smart boat. Found nothing.
I guess I will build it :D With that said... Any suggestions, input, designs thoughts?
Also, keep your eyes open for a used Smart, rag top.:D The Mrs, will not allow me to use our present 3 year old fortwo. LOL

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
A subject near my heart. After owning Cushman Tracksters, and hovercrafts, I was always fascinated with the old Amphicars. Never owned one but I knew where there were 4 or 5 of them parked. Just never got enough cash to buy one.

Back in 2002, Mark Roerhig wrote a book about how he built an Amphigeo which was a Geo that he waterproofed and converted to a rear engine car that would go on water. The book shows a lot of details and might give you some insight as to what might work. Last I heard fro Mark, he was moving to Europe and was working on a school bus to cruise across the ocean. I saw videos of it's first launching to see if it would float (it did) and that was about the last I have heard from him.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,120 Posts
rcexplorer, can't wait to see those preliminary sketches of this Smart On Water project on the back of that cocktail napkin!

jimvw57, "a school bus to cruise across the ocean." Free advice, unless you are a thrill seeker don't sign on for the maiden voyage.

·
Super Moderator
17,769 Posts
I like this idea!!!

If you go the Top Gear route (seal up the car and make the point of entry the roof) make sure you give it a smooth bottom and some balance! :D

Reactions: rcexplorer

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My thought had been: Anyone with a smart (w/ receiver bracket) would drive up into/onto the frame, SNAP into the unit and off you go. Example. Been an RVer for years, w/my Smart 4 wheels down. I pull up, 2 pins, plug wire harness in, and off we go. I have over 10,000 miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts