Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,207 Posts
Thanks (I think) for posting. What's that old saying, "Opinions are like..."? Since we have an older Mini also all I can say is both cars are too much fun to drive but if you add in modern engineering as a criterion the smart comes out miles ahead - even compared to some cars not on the Jalopnik list. The reviewer should have been at "Outsmarting the Dragon" this September to see smarts having fun for real. :)

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I do think that the author was writing in the context of the truly wealthy (it is Forbes after all), but I don’t think he meant “toy” in any derisive sense. It was more as a recreation for those who have disposable means. As I noted at the outset of the http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/honest-tranny-evaluation-28437/ thread, I have a friend who is able to own some “serious toys,” and at that, may be interested in adding a smart to his toy box.

·
Registered
946 Posts
There are at least two different points of view on display here, and (to a neutral, impartial observer) both are valid.

There are those who look at cars as a tool, just as they would a broom or toothbrush or other article of utility. To them, the smart fills a particular niche, that of getting them to work or the post office or wherever, and doing it while being under cover and air conditioned. Obviously, a smart (or any other vehicle choice, as long as it is operational at a reasonable price) fits the bill here.

The second is that of "toy". For the first group, the smart represents the idea of attainable, inexpensive transportation. For the second (best represented by the guy with the garage full of up end sport cars), it may be nothing more than another novelty, in effect a hobby. To that end, the largely unique smart concept is a source of "amusement" in the classical sense, and a "smartcar" is exactly what such a person is looking for.

Neither approach is inherently "wrong". To common folks, frivolity as represented by the "toy" usage is a bit offensive, but it's a free country (at this point, at least), and if someone wants to tie up their loose funds in such a way, it's their prerogative.

Too many people are far too invested in worrying about what other people are doing, particularly as it does not conform to their own ideals. Better to let others be.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
The two points of view are not necessarily contradictory: I use the smart as a toy to have fun - but not just a toy, also a tool to move around... That's what made, and still makes, the smart so appealing to me: it fits both bills. :D

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
How nice of the USA Today (mcpaper) to regurgitate this article
Jalopnik's Worst10 Cars Of The Decade
Thats what masquerades for reporting these days.

If you look over at my original post about this on http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/fo...wreck-jalopnik-1-800-waaah-25571/index21.html You will see this link that USA missed
Jalopnik's Best10 Cars Of The Decade

This list shows how impractical their opinions are on cars and they make no Apologies for it.

Here is a sample of number 11 on the best list
Let's be honest: This thing makes no sense whatsoever. It's a much-tweaked Ford pickup with long-travel suspension, a relatively low price tag, and the ability to bomb over washed-out terrain at 80 mph. It's like something out of a dream.

In what world does this compute? What in unholy hell is a normal person supposed to do with this thing? The Raptor isn't like a balls-to-the-wall sports car; you can't really send it rocketing down back roads on the weekends. Nor is it akin to a lifted, worked-over Jeep or Land Cruiser; it can handle rock-crawling and trail-poking, but that's not its forte. No, it's happiest pounding over desert washes at 80 mph, blasting into the air with wheels at full droop and passengers pissing their pants. We love it, but unless you live in the desert, we'll be damned if we know what you do with it.
If they don't know what to do with it, why would anyone spend the money

Nuff said

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
A wise man once said: Those that can, do. Those that can't, criticize. There is a reason I don't watch news or read newspapers anymore.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Comming from a reporter who drives a Dodge Durango,

his taste in cars is questionable, I drive a Chrysler Pacifica and love it, but the Dodge Durango is ho hum in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I bought the smart mainly because of its small price tag and small operating expense. At $16K, a fully-loaded smart was a better deal than the other fully-loaded vehicles on my list of possible low-cost cars: kia, yaris, fit, civic, corolla, mini. I test drove many cars, and the smart won out for me.

I am a public school teacher, so I am not rich...I needed an alternative to my 2001 Jeep Cherokee and our 2005 Jeep Commander...the Jeeps were slaughtering our family transportation budget! The small co$t smart helps keep our two-car two-destination family mobile and saves us plenty of $$$. I drive the smart so I can keep the Commander's gas tank on FULL.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Avoid Jalopnik! Spread the word to anyone and everyone: Just Say No.
There are so many young aspiring auto enthusiast websites out there that are more deserving of Advertisers' funding.

My God *gasp* if haters only knew how fulfilling it is to own and operate a smart. Almost everyday reveals another benefit; almost-every-damn-day.

I just thought of two more minor benefits today: SAAB is down; we claim EXCLUSIVITY in central console ignitions. Aaand we can hang the clips to those pulldown sunshades from the space between the moonroof and headliner without suction cups and cracked open windows.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
It's not like you can do a mathematical calculation and decide whether a given car is good or bad. That decision is one's opinion and there's nothing to prove that someone's opinion is any better or worse that the next person's opinion.

In my case, the ONLY opinion I case about is mine. I have zero interest in pleasing other people here. If someone thinks different, so what.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is the Smart really one of the worst?

Golly, I find it fun. It sits next to a Porsche 996 Cabriolet, a BMW motorcycle, Suzuki motorcycle, Can Am Spyder, and outside is a big Dodge Diesel truck. But the Smart is fun. I just got back from Washington, DC, a 680 mile round trip jaunt, and enjoyed the little movement in the wind. Only got 39 - 40 mpg at 70 + mph, but it really was windy and rained on the way up. With the new stereo, wow, Susan Boyle sounds great. I love my Smart. Last car I sold... a $103,000 Porsche Cayenne Turbo... so when I say I love my Smart I am comparing to some high class company. Still love it. Most of the critics do not understand it. Are afraid of it and want their bigger cars which they could not find a parking place for much of the time. I am tempted to park up on the curb sometime just to see if they give it a ticket.

Msmoto

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
It's not like you can do a mathematical calculation and decide whether a given car is good or bad. That decision is one's opinion and there's nothing to prove that someone's opinion is any better or worse that the next person's opinion.

In my case, the ONLY opinion I case about is mine. I have zero interest in pleasing other people here. If someone thinks different, so what.

Bob Diaz
Sure you can Bob
Just give a Value to each aspect of a cars performance and practicality. Run the numbers and I'm sure most of the top 10 would wind up on the bottom.

And if anyone can do it Bob can:D

·
Super Moderator
17,600 Posts
Some of us are not exactly "wealthy"... And for some of us it's not just a toy, but a dependable means of transportation, often the only one... :rolleyes:

Source: The New Definition Of A Luxury Car - Forbes.com
Like me! :p :eek:

In a quote from USAToday

What really surprised us, however, was the inclusion of the Smart Fortwo -- "world's fastest German golf cart" -- one of the most inventive cars in generations.
In America, the teens call it the "world's fastest shopping cart", go figure.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As a car lover, and having owned a 1990 Acura Legend, a 1993 Acura Legend coupe 6speed w/ 230hp, the Smart is in its own class.

The folks that always talk the loudest have never owned one or ridden in one.
Every time someone talks smack about the Smart, I invite them to take a ride w/ me.
They change their mind quickly after that.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I wrote a comment in that article and I stand by my belief that Jalopnik has no idea about our little car and how we care for it and he is therefore unqualified to make such statements.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts