Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
smart USA insider now has ...
Must be fairly new as it covers going into the manual mode via the paddles. :)
Let's hope we can have that option retrofitted on the 08? It'll be so nice to switch from auto to Manual (or vice-versa) just using the paddles.
Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Let's hope we can have that option retrofitted on the 08? It'll be so nice to switch from auto to Manual (or vice-versa) just using the paddles.
Thanks for the post.
JP do you have any contacts at Smartville that might have information or input on this. I would like the option and would be willing to pay for an upgrade

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
JP do you have any contacts at Smartville that might have information or input on this. I would like the option and would be willing to pay for an upgrade
Yes, I do have a contact. I've talked to O. Amélineau last week, but he was on his way to a meeting and should call me back this week. I have a list of questions for him. And this one is on top of it. Rest assure, I will post asap. :rolleyes:

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
The videos remind me of the VHS tape which came with my Neon. I don't know how common it is nowadays to include a 'getting started' video with new cars, but I feel it should be the Norm. Just a nice touch IMO, to a new car buyer.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
It looks to me they are saying, pulling on the paddle merely switches the mode selector from the stick handle up to the paddles.

IMO this is same/same, and no help in locking out 5th gear while cruising among the stop lights in the city while keeping it in "D". :( A2Jack

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"pulling either one [paddles] toward you will automatically put the vehicle in the manual mode."

Would like to have this verified by a new 09 owner but it sounds like you can go into the manual mode without pushing the gear selector lever. :)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
"pulling either one [paddles] toward you will automatically put the vehicle in the manual mode."

Would like to have this verified by a new 09 owner but it sounds like you can go into the manual mode without pushing the gear selector lever. :)
That's what they said. But what's the big deal if you still have to change back to "D" to run in the auto select mode.

·
Registered
305 Posts
But to change back to Auto, just holding the "+" paddle will do it vs moving the shift lever. Just seems more convienent getting into manual and going back to auto

·
Registered
698 Posts
I found it curious that the tranny video recommends lifting the throttle during shifts. IMHO that is counter productive and screws with the computer's logic which does the same thing on its own.

I also found it interesting how the guy bumps the key a number of times with his hand while shifting. That's been reported a number of times on this forum as a way to shut off the engine while driving merrily along. Hasn't happened to me, yet. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Lifting up on the throttle doesn't "screw" with the compter's logic. The computer returns absolute throttle control to the driver after it has competed shifting, even if the driver has moved the pedal during the shift, and simultaneously re-engages the clutch in a variable manner depending on that pedal position. This allows the driver to finess the re-engagement of the clutch as desired after the shift, whether it may be to snap ahead faster, maintain steady speed, or decelerate. It is not necessary, but using this technique can sometimes adjust the smoothness & speed of the shift & engagement to suit individual driving style or conditions.

Basically, I find that post-shift clutch re-engagement is calibrated quicker with added throttle, and slower with less throttle.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Pete says, "Basically, I find that post-shift clutch re-engagement is calibrated quicker with added throttle, and slower with less throttle."

What are you saying here Pete? :D A2Jack.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What I'm saying is that the computer tends to re-engage the clutch more quickly & forcefully with less slip if you are pushing down harder on the throttle. Lighter throttle during gear change appear to result in clutch re-engagement that is slower, more gentle, with a bit more slip. It is akin to letting up off a clutch pedal quickly/agressively or slowly/gently, thus the smart shift program allows for some driver input on the clutch re-engagement characterists.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts