Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our Smart since February and love it. Glad to join the club. Uh, has anyone checked their oil? The dip stick has hash marks on the tip and an"F" which on a regular car would mean Full. The booklet says the oil should be midway between the two "bumps" on the stick which is about a foot or so past the "F". This would seem to be a typo. If not then perhaps we have just ruined our engine.

Also, I hear synthetic oil is better. Any comments?

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
[...] The dip stick has hash marks on the tip and an"F" which on a regular car would mean Full. The booklet says the oil should be midway between the two "bumps" on the stick which is about a foot or so past the "F". This would seem to be a typo. If not then perhaps we have just ruined our engine. [...] Any comments?
Had the same issue, an apparent discrepancy between the actual dipstick and the picture in the manual. The "F" at the top of the etched tip of the dipstick is indeed the mark for "full". Had it checked out with scAlexandria two weeks ago because I had the same question...

·
Super Moderator
29,153 Posts
You can, but you'll be the most knowledgeable guy there at the start. I took my own oil and filter, plus the info from the forum on oil changes (not too much to it, really.)

They'll need to be careful not to mess up the screen filter attached to the drain plug as well as not screw up the copper crush washer, which you'll need to re use unless you get a new one. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts