Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hand painted my 2010 Passion for under $100. A friend and I did everything ourselves. 5 hours of prep, 2 coats of paint (Gun Metal Grey), 3 coats of clear, and some racing stripes! If you're afraid of doing it yourself, don't be. Just take your time and don't rush the drying process.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice, looks good in the pic! :)
Thanks, Fernatt. It taking my time really paid off. The only down side was using a garage and not an actual paint booth. There are some timy spots on the glass where you can see the paint seeped in under the tape. I wiped them off with a little rubbing alcohol and they're gone now.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hand painted my 2010 Passion for under $100. A friend and I did everything ourselves. 5 hours of prep, 2 coats of paint (Gun Metal Grey), 3 coats of clear, and some racing stripes! If you're afraid of doing it yourself, don't be. Just take your time and don't rush the drying process.
5 Hours of prep - that's what is interesting to me. What all did you do? I'm thinking of something similar - except it's on a golf cart. I'm sure you cleaned it well, masked stuff off and then......?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
5 Hours of prep - that's what is interesting to me. What all did you do? I'm thinking of something similar - except it's on a golf cart. I'm sure you cleaned it well, masked stuff off and then......?
I'm interested too. 5 hours of prep isn't much. It does look good in the picture, and as long as the OP is happy.

To the OP: What type of spray paint did you use? I've heard good thing about the new Eastwood two part stuff. I've not had the opportunity to use any though.

Coming from a person that has painted vehicles as a hobby, 5 hours is how much time I spend on final prep, that doesn't include all the sanding that would need to be done to get the new paint to stick to the old stuff. I bet I had close to 30 hours in my truck before I sprayed color:

That doesn't include all the body work I did. Been at this truck since last May. My goal is to have it on the road by April...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Material to repaint the front fenders and nose on my smart was $150. I had about 4 hours of sanding and prep. No body work. That was for a color and clear coat urethane paint.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,038 Posts
Were these even quality, long lasting paint jobs?? :eek:
Before emission controls on materials and painting! Very little prep, unskilled labor with a piece of sandpaper, primitive chrome/glass masking and single coat of mystery paint - pay extra for door jams and under hood.

You got what you paid for, GUARANTEED till your front tires hit the white line in the center of the road. Every city had a Franchise and lots of cars were fogged . . .

1 - 20 of 39 Posts