Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
They didn't charge extra for it because they didn't do much of it. If they painted the rubber trim, it was considered a no cost bonus. :D

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Gas war days

and gas cost 25¢ a gallon
I remember 21 cents a gallon during a price war. I wasn't driving yet, but I was cutting grass and buying gas for the mower. That was in the early to mid 60's. I do remember the black and white TV and newspaper ads for Earl Scheib. Earls' face was in all of em.
These were not metallic paints and no clear coats either.:|

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
And as a bonus you often wound up with color coordinated wheels and tires with each paint job..................OVERSPRAY!

·
Registered
495 Posts
i remember they had one in Oka city (1970) and for $29.95 any car any color.

a friend painted had his 67 camaro red by them (we were stationed at Tinker AFB) and being young and dumb, did minor prep (aka nothing) the car was hideous before and after a near clown car, painted the bumpers, grill, tires trim.... but it was painted!! those were the days!

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
you can do a half-decent job with spray cans, but it's rarely seen. First there needs to be a lot of prep work, second you have to by quality paint, and third you should use a color that doesn't show imperfections like white. Lastly you have to lay down enough paint, which means a LOT of cans! So, in the end, it probably pays to use a paint sprayer. You can get a cheap one probably at harbor freight. It won't be as good as the nice spray guns, but it is likely to be WAY better than a can!

I remember getting gas for $.20 cents a gallon in Utah when my parents were visiting relatives, but buy the time I was driving I think the cheapest I ever got it was $.70-75 cents a gallon, and then the oil embargo hit and it was $1.35 a gallon over night! That was hard on a college student!

The thing about Earl Scheibe was that you could do all the prep work yourself and mask it off, and they would still shoot it! Sometimes they didn't look too bad if you didn't get too close, but the paint was VERY cheap so it didn't look good for long!

I painted my own car. My brother's friend used to own a body shop so he loaned us all of the tools. He came by to check up on us and I'm sanding away trying to smooth things out. He takes a walk around the car and then he says "So, what color are you going to paint it?". I answer back "black". He hesitates a bit, and then he says " Boy, that's going to look like a sack of walnuts going down the road!" then he follows up with "You should think about painting it baby blue, or white; white will hide a multitude of sin!". So, I took his advice and exchanged the black for white. After shooting it it didn't look half bad. He was right white DOES hide a multitude of sin!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
you can do a half-decent job with spray cans, but it's rarely seen. First there needs to be a lot of prep work, second you have to by quality paint, and third you should use a color that doesn't show imperfections like white. Lastly you have to lay down enough paint, which means a LOT of cans! So, in the end, it probably pays to use a paint sprayer. You can get a cheap one probably at harbor freight. It won't be as good as the nice spray guns, but it is likely to be WAY better than a can!

I remember getting gas for $.20 cents a gallon in Utah when my parents were visiting relatives, but buy the time I was driving I think the cheapest I ever got it was $.70-75 cents a gallon, and then the oil embargo hit and it was $1.35 a gallon over night! That was hard on a college student!

The thing about Earl Scheibe was that you could do all the prep work yourself and mask it off, and they would still shoot it! Sometimes they didn't look too bad if you didn't get too close, but the paint was VERY cheap so it didn't look good for long!

I painted my own car. My brother's friend used to own a body shop so he loaned us all of the tools. He came by to check up on us and I'm sanding away trying to smooth things out. He takes a walk around the car and then he says "So, what color are you going to paint it?". I answer back "black". He hesitates a bit, and then he says " Boy, that's going to look like a sack of walnuts going down the road!" then he follows up with "You should think about painting it baby blue, or white; white will hide a multitude of sin!". So, I took his advice and exchanged the black for white. After shooting it it didn't look half bad. He was right white DOES hide a multitude of sin!
You make a lot of good points, especially about black. I absolutely refuse to spray black, because if the surface isn't perfect, it will look aweful!

Although, I wouldn't necessarily agree with the Harbor freight spray gun though, I made the mistake of buying one of those once. Bad idea. I couldn't make it spray right to save my life. Finally broke down and bought a Devillbiss set, what a difference! Shot my truck with a Devillbis GTi gun, oh man is that a sweet gun! :)

The key to any good paint job is the prep. It took me two days to shoot the base & clear on my truck. Then it took me two weeks to finish the cut & buff on the clear to make it look like it does now. It's not perfect, but I can honesly say I did every bit of it. It's my blood, sweat, and tears(literally), that made that truck what it is now. I'm proud of that.:D

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I've painted about 15 cars in my driveway. They all looked pretty good after color sanding and buffing. I hung out with my buddies that had their cars painted professionally. Really nice paint jobs. I made a comment once about my car didn't hold a candle to theirs. They all jumped all over my butt. They said, "but you painted yours yourself. None of us has ever done that. Doesn't matter that it's not perfect, you did a great job and you should be proud."

I have a Devilbliss also. I've used a Graco too. I have had good results with the cheap Harbor Freight HVLP gun. As a matter of fact I used one to paint the front group on my smart. A tip is to use the really cheap HF spray guns to apply contact cement for upholstery. Works great and you can throw it away when your done.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
You make a lot of good points, especially about black. I absolutely refuse to spray black, because if the surface isn't perfect, it will look aweful!

Although, I wouldn't necessarily agree with the Harbor freight spray gun though, I made the mistake of buying one of those once. Bad idea. I couldn't make it spray right to save my life. Finally broke down and bought a Devillbiss set, what a difference! Shot my truck with a Devillbis GTi gun, oh man is that a sweet gun! :)

The key to any good paint job is the prep. It took me two days to shoot the base & clear on my truck. Then it took me two weeks to finish the cut & buff on the clear to make it look like it does now. It's not perfect, but I can honestly say I did every bit of it. It's my blood, sweat, and tears(literally), that made that truck what it is now. I'm proud of that.:D
I will yield to your experience with the Harbor Freight gun -- sometimes you can get cheap stuff that works there, and sometimes no. I also remember he pointed to my right front fender and said it would take him about 20 hours to get that good enough to paint black, and he's good (implied I'd likely not ever get there!). I'm thinking to paint the Buckland some kind of popping yellow (high visibility and won't show the less-than-perfect bodywork!

There is something to be said for DIY -- so few people there days will tackle something they aren't familiar with, or willing to do it over if they don't get it right the first time!:wink:

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I was reading this I remember that Earl started at 29.95 as Barney stated, you better have it washed and all the body work done ahead of time cause they just sprayed over EVERYTHING. And gas in Indiana during the gas wars was 17 cents a gallon.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Earl painted my 64 Chevy, for $49.95
Rrrright ! I had a 65 Chevy II SS that Earl painted for a tad bit more. It looked ok.... :|

In the late 70's, I was on vacation in Phoenix. Rental cars were expensive, so I bought a 64 Corvair Greenbrier (window van) from a "Sludge Lot".
I painted it with 22 $1.00 cans of spray paint . It was red with a satin Black belt-line and a white roof. It had Cragar mags with wide oval raised white letter tires ! (I only fogged the edge of the roof the same white color, since you really couldn't see the top.
The car dealer that watched me paint it on a side street in Phoenix, said it was better than Earl !
It must have been, he bought it 2 weeks later when I was ready to fly home....It was on his front row later that day ! =)

Never underestimate the power of a rattle can in the right hands !! :)

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Rrrright ! I had a 65 Chevy II SS that Earl painted for a tad bit more. It looked ok.... :|

In the late 70's, I was on vacation in Phoenix. Rental cars were expensive, so I bought a 64 Corvair Greenbrier (window van) from a "Sludge Lot".
I painted it with 22 $1.00 cans of spray paint . It was red with a satin Black belt-line and a white roof. It had Cragar mags with wide oval raised white letter tires ! (I only fogged the edge of the roof the same white color, since you really couldn't see the top.
The car dealer that watched me paint it on a side street in Phoenix, said it was better than Earl !
It must have been, he bought it 2 weeks later when I was ready to fly home....It was on his front row later that day ! =)

Never underestimate the power of a rattle can in the right hands !! :)
I too used rattle cans on my 68 VW bus :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a 62 VW bug that I painted with a can of Rustoleum and a brush. It looked pretty bad, but it was still a lot better than before the paint job; at least everything matched! Before it had a red fender, a yellow fender, a dark blue fender, a primer gray fender and a green door, while the rest of the body was a light blue. After the paint job, it was at least all blue!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I bought an old Jeep Cherokee four-door for $800. It was silver and rust, mostly rust. I painted it with dollar rattle can Walmart paint and did a three color camouflage paint job. Drove it for two years, took into an auction told it auctioneer to put a reserve of $250 on it. I was embarrassed when I got a check for $1200.00.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts