Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Just wondering if I can get your input on the issue I'm having with my smart car. Lately it seems to be having issues were periodically it will just go into "safe-mode" I believe it is, where it looses its turbo effect. It used to happen only going up the hill and on the highway but it did do it to me the other day on the service road. I've taken it into Kevin at Kompressors Autoworld and after much diagnostics havnt figured out what it is that is causing the issue. Kevin checked the sensor that the warning light said needed to be looked at and he said it looked fine. He also said the turbo seems fine as well. Looking to see if anyone has had this as a result of water damage at all or what your opinions are of this issue

thanks everyone!

R

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! :)

Judging by your location you have an earlier 450 smart, probably a cdi? You might also want to check in with owners of similar cars at Club Smart Car for advice. :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
best fix I can think of having a 450 myself (gas or diesel doesnt matter) its a GROUND issue

a new ground cable from engine to frame stud, leaving the old one in place. i suggest a new cable from the bolt securing the dipstick tube to the ground stud on the frame
its a CHEAP FIX. if it works, thank me... if not keep checking.
steveg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay thanks everyone! and Wish I could move to south Cal for many reasons but unfortunately I can't lol

Robyn

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '06 cdi has had this problem many times. In my case the culprit is the waste-gate actuator. The rod gets dirty and sticks where it goes into the dashpot, causing an over or under-boost condition which then results in safe mode and very low power. It's particularly bad if the car is left outside in damp weather. I can keep this from happening by occasionally lubricating the actuator rod (it's the long thin stainless steel rod right at the back of the engine) with silicone spray lube (you can just reach it from the top through the engine access panel) and every other oil change I pull the back off the car, thoroughly clean and lubricate the actuator. At this time, also free up any rust or debris around the waste-gate shaft itself, then liberally coat the waste-gate shaft with anti-seize compound where it enters the turbo housing. This has worked for me for a long time after much initial head-scratching and MB telling me I needed to replace the turbo. I'm now at 190,000 km and I only have this problem when I neglect to clean and lube the actuator rod.

Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts