Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I hope everyone survived the holidays but now down to serious biz....the 2014 Rally. I am considering the Johnston Ridge Observatory, Mt. St. Helens on June 22nd. I can't run the route this time of year so I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance as to whether this is doable for 50-100 smarts. The route is 108 miles from the Airport, 60 of which are on 205/I5 so it should be a little faster than Marryhill last year. Any input would be appreciated. -Jerry

·
Registered
194 Posts
That is about 240 miles for me and closer to 275 for Timo. We would go over White Pass (Hwy 12). I will check and see if there is any interest on this side.
just Fred

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I wouldn't even consider doing another run with smartcenter Portland unless plans, methods, techniques, and back-up plans are in place for keeping the group together. The last run out of Portland to Stonehenge ended up with me driving over to Portland from Maryhill, WA to meet up at the start point in the parking lot by Target, only to be completely left behind before we ever got to the interstate minutes away. No plans in place to keep the group together, no pulling over, no regrouping anywhere along the way, and no actual stops at the "planned stops" along the route. So....I drove all the way over by myself to drive all the way back (by myself) to where I'd just came from. :( Not good! The final meet up at Stonehenge for photos, and especially the catered meet at Maryhill Winery was excellent, though, and almost made up for the fiasco that was the (group??) drive. Seeing old friends and meeting new ones was excellent, as well.

·
Registered
536 Posts
19 mile house. (Family restaurant named for it's proximity to to the crater.) If you are going to stop there on the way, I'm in. I've driven to Johnston's Ridge Observatory, and there's plenty of parking. There's a parking lot at a high point a few miles before Johnston's that would be a better photo op. I don't remember what it's called.

I was there in my Corolla a couple years ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We would be interested in the trip. Just might be too involved in restoring my MGC GT and preparing to host the MGC Register national meet in July, but if all is under control we would be in.
Missed the Stonehenge trip, sorry for the problems on that one. Talked to Jerry when I brought our cars up for service a bit later. Offered a few tips for running a tour that we have learned over the years with the Healey Club, our MG Club and a local 4X4 group. Depending on the turnout we would suggest that 2, 3 or 4 people step up to lead from the middle and another to bring up the rear.
If at least these people know where they are going and where to stop to regroup and the "tailgunner" making sure that nobody is left behind everyone will get to the same place at the same time.
And Jeepin' trail etiquette is that you never loose sight of the rig behind you. If you do you stop and everyone else will stop until everyone is moving again.
Using FRS radios and everyone knowing the tour leader's or the tailgunner's cell number in case the group gets split up also helps.
If we brought our two smarts we could help out, anyone else?`

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Mount Saint Helens Rally

Thanks, Bob! :>) I don't think I've seen you since I first got my car in '08. The island run. I would be still be interested in making this run, or at least part of it, even though I had bad luck last time. IF they actually get this going, and I say "IF" because the original post was January and we haven't heard a word since (I even e-mailed Jerry at his work address and still haven't heard anything), Terri and I, as well as Chuck & Shirley Bailey, are talking about bringing our RVs down and staying at Mount Saint Helens RV Resort, which is about an hour from Johnstone on Spirit Lake Highway. We would just join in at that point along the highway. Doesn't make any sense driving to Portland to turn around and come back. :>) Anyway........hoping that this gets some movement. It would be nice to see you again.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I just received the following reply to an e-mail that I sent to Jerry this morning.

"I am still planning a rally just trying to figure out the exact location to go. I received some push-back for St Helen's as it is a difficult to get to and no real infrastructure once there.. I'll keep you posted!"

·
Registered
21 Posts
2014 Portland Rally

Any word on a rally this month? It is already June 9th and just wondering if there will be one?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Portland is supposed to be a smart car city named by smart, so where is the activities and involvement? Have we been forgotten?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts