Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
17,363 Posts
There's the old phrase..."beating an old mule".
When (?) are the new smarts going to be in the States? Late next year? And the current 451 is stopping production when? Isn't there going to be a huge gap in time between the lines? And where are all the wonderful things smart, DVI , now MBUSA, promised? NOT FEELING THE LOVE!!! (sarcasm font)
The new smarts will begin sale in 2014 in Europe and 2015 in the States.
The 451 was launched in the same way, Europe in 2007, America in 2008. There was maybe six-ish months in between launch dates.

The 451 should stop production when the 453 starts. There will probably be enough surplus of 451s to keep US sales going while they refine the 453 for US standards.

·
Super Moderator
28,406 Posts
kheran;559804[B said:
]More support, more dealers, better servicing[/B]........Mothership is is quiet!
It seems to me they are spending more time with the electric car on a soon to be old platform than anything else.
Different discussion; this thread is about the smart Renault collaboration on the 453 and the forfour (45?). :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The new smarts will begin sale in 2014 in Europe and 2015 in the States.
The 451 was launched in the same way, Europe in 2007, America in 2008. There was maybe six-ish months in between launch dates.

The 451 should stop production when the 453 starts. There will probably be enough surplus of 451s to keep US sales going while they refine the 453 for US standards.
So the current 2013 model will be in production AND current for almost 2 years?:rolleyes:

(i'll sit in the corner and be quiet:) )

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Quote Kheran "(i'll sit in the corner and be quiet )

Yeah, like that is gonna happen. :p

and as far as when the new cars will appear, when ever Mother Daimler sees fit. Kinda like Mother Nature.

It's not nice to mess with Mother Daimler :D

·
17,363 Posts
So the current 2013 model will be in production AND current for almost 2 years?:rolleyes:

(i'll sit in the corner and be quiet:) )
We were told by the MB reps during the Midwest Rally that the United States will not be seeing the new cars until early 2015. The release date in Europe is pegged at mid-late 2014.

For the US, the 451 will get an extra model year and go on as 2014s. When the new cars get here, they'll be 2015s.

They compared it to the release of the 451. It actually came out in 2007, but we didn't get ours until 2008.

They didn't specify how that's all supposed to happen, but I reckon we will be getting the very last 451s to come off the production line.

The MB reps could be wrong, but now most press releases seem to agree with the above information.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Since it's for the Renault variant and only 64hp, I'd have to presume that will be a Euro only city option offered by Renault as an entry level Twingo.
I would think so. If that's all they bring to the U.S., the value of our second gen smarts would go up! :)

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Since it's for the Renault variant and only 64hp, I'd have to presume that will be a Euro only city option offered by Renault as an entry level Twingo.
Maybe, but I think it's only a matter of time. Fewer cylinders are more efficient, and the Twin-Air is a REALLY nice little engine. I think it would actually be a good choice for a smart, which is smaller and lighter than a 500. Ford said the other day that some crazy percentage of cars sold will be 4 cylinders by the end of the decade. If even the larger cars will be running 4-bangers, then it's not much of a stretch to see that at the very bottom of the food chain we could be seeing some twins. For me, I would be MORE interested in the 500 with a twin.:wink:

·
Super Moderator
28,406 Posts
Update

FRANKFURT, Germany, Sept. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --

Portfolio of jointly developed major projects has jumped from three to ten
Nissan and Daimler have completed factory building for the joint production of engines in the USA

The chief executives of the Renault-Nissan Alliance and Daimler AG said today that their companies' partnership is advancing quickly, and the scope of the collaboration is increasingly global.

The French-Japanese-German partnership began in April 2010, with three "pillar projects" primarily focused on Europe. Since then, the portfolio has increased to ten significant projects, including major initiatives from North America to Japan. In addition, relevant business units are working together in best-practice sharing and other forms of cooperation.

"While our initial collaboration focused strongly on European projects, we are now focusing on synergies in all key markets", Renault-Nissan Chairman and CEO Carlos Ghosn said today at an annual media briefing on the partnership. "The largest economies of scale are always global."

"We will continue to seek out new projects together that make sense for all partners and, most importantly, our customers", Daimler CEO and Head of Mercedes Benz Cars Dieter Zetsche said.
The CEOs cited the joint production of Mercedes-Benz four-cylinder gasoline engines in Decherd (Tennessee, USA) as a good example of how the partners profit from the cooperation. Just one and a half years after the groundbreaking in May 2012, the factory building for the joint production of Mercedes-Benz four-cylinder gasoline engines is now complete. Production machinery is now being installed and the start of production is planned for mid-2014. The engines produced in Decherd will then be used in the Mercedes-Benz C-Class, which is produced at the Daimler plant in Tuscaloosa (Alabama, USA), and in new Infiniti products.
The smart/Twingo project is also progressing as planned. Production will begin soon on the new two-seater smart at the smart plant in Hambach (France) and of the four-seater smart and the Renault Twingo successor model at the Renault plant in Novo Mesto (Slovenia). Market launch of the model versions is planned for the second half of 2014. The new generations of the smart and the Renault Twingo are being developed on the basis of a shared architecture, but will remain independent products with an unmistakable brand appearance. A show car of the new smart four-seater ("smart fourjoy") was presented at the Frankfurt Motor Show this Monday.
:)

Collaboration between Daimler and Renault-Nissan advances globally, CEOs say -- FRANKFURT, Germany, Sept. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --

21 - 40 of 40 Posts