Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had to take our smart back to the dealer for a rattling noise. The car has rattled since we picked it up in april but we didn't take it back until now as we live 2 hours drive from the dealer. We have just under 7000 miles on our smart so we also had an early 10000 mile service done. Our dealer is the Santa Barbara Auto Group in Santa Barbara, CA.
The service manager Jay treated us like we were the most important customer he ever had. He provided us with a loaner car for the day. He called me a few hours later to say he had to order a part to fix the rattle which they believed was in the roof attachment and they could not get the part until the next day. We had already planned on spending the night to go to a concert so we said ok. The next morning he called to say the part did not arrive on the fed-ex truck and as this was friday he would not be able to fix the car until monday. He offered to let us take the loaner car back home, 120 miles away and return for our car when it was convenient for us. He called us on tuesday morning to say the car was fixed. We said we could not get back down until friday. Jay said that was not a problem. We drove down today to pick up our Smart. Again we were treated great by everyone at the dealer. We picked up the car, did a little local shopping and then headed home at about 3pm. When we got up to highway speeds heading over the mountains on Hyw 154 the rattle returned. We found a place to pull over and called Jay who said bring it back in. When we arrived back at the dealer its now 4pm and Jay has arranged a loaner car and has a mechanic ready to take a ride with me to troubleshoot the rattle. We drive off again down the freeway but the traffic noise is to loud to hear the rattle so we head back up the mountain. The rattle starts again and the mechanic moves around inside and opens the door while we are driving in order to pin point the noise. He says it sounds like its under the car so we return to the dealer and he puts it up on the rack. A little later he comes out and announces that he found a faulty fastener on the bottom pan of the car. He replaced the part and thanked us for being patient. It is now after 5pm and no one at the dealership seemed concerned how long it took to fix the car they just wanted to fix it right. And they kept apologizing for the problems with the car. We then hopped back in our Smart and drove home. No more rattle! They took the time to fix it right. I feel this has been the best customer service I have ever received from any business.

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
That is great to know. I hope Buckhead Atlanta is as good when I finally get my car up there ... a 6 hour drive. I have an unidentified rattle also. And, an intermittent malfunction in the auto headlight feature.

Glad it worked out for you. Gives me hope! Now maybe I should check out concerts in Atlanta : )

·
Registered
24 Posts
Curlyp, can you give me more detail when you say faulty fastener on bottom pan of car. I have a rattle as well. Seems to be coming from under vehicle.. Could be same issue. What does the fastener do?

thx, John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rattle

My rattle wound up being a yellow plastic fastener on the frame that the bottom pan was screwed into

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
Curlyp, can you give me more detail when you say faulty fastener on bottom pan of car. I have a rattle as well. Seems to be coming from under vehicle.. Could be same issue. What does the fastener do?

thx, John
John, let's compare rattles. curlyp's apparently is (was) most apparent at highway speed. I've only noticed mine at low speed and with a nearby wall to reflect the sound off of. It seems to come from the rear of the car.
How about yours?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Its really great knowing there is a smart dealer in Santa Barbara as we are thinking of giving our oldest grand daughter who lives in Lompoc a smart for graduation next June, We had written it off until we heard there was a dealer nearby (well 40 +/- miles)...

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
We had to take our smart back to the dealer for a rattling noise. ............I feel this has been the best customer service I have ever received from any business.
It's nice to know there are great dealerships around! :) I don't have my smart yet (haven't even configured yet) but I hope to experience the same great CS with SCI (Indianapolis). We'll see :D

:smartje.rd.zw: :RS-c.gl.zw: :smartje.wt.zw:

·
Registered
910 Posts
That is great to know. I hope Buckhead Atlanta is as good when I finally get my car up there ... a 6 hour drive. I have an unidentified rattle also. And, an intermittent malfunction in the auto headlight feature.
Wouldn't JAX be a lot closer for you to use - or do you know of problem with the dealer?? Just a thought . . . :confused:
Or even Clearwater would only be about 5 hours away. . . easier traffic, too. And the Clearwater folks are great~!

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
Wouldn't JAX be a lot closer for you to use - or do you know of problem with the dealer??
As per mapquest.com (from my home to the respective smart dealers)
Clearwater: Total Estimated Time: 6.0 hours 19 minutes Total Estimated Distance: 360.57 miles
Jacksonville: Total Estimated Time: 4.0 hours 24 minutes Total Estimated Distance: 282.68 miles
Atlanta: Total Estimated Time: 5.0 hours 22 minutes Total Estimated Distance: 298.80 miles

Jacksonville is closest to me, but only by 16 miles. Car was purchased in Atlanta, which is strange in and of itself ... since the car came into port in Jacksonville.

Mapquest's driving time estimates are way too short in my experience. For example, they cite 5:22 from here to Atlanta. In my experience six hours is VERY good time for that trip, I've never made it that quickly.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Wouldn't it be interesting to know what criteria were applied when the map of the Dealership's zones were drawn?
Demographics, number of response to various polls (including the caravan's), or any other arbitrary factor?
Any idea?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts