Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think everyone reading too much into these early confirmations. I would suggest that the confirmation are really a means of gathering information or a survey. If the total number is 300, it is a nice sample size based upon about 30,000 reservations.

They can determine approximately how many people will back out of the deal, change colors, change options, etc. All of this information would be very helpful in planning the launch of the delivery and building the cars.

I would suggest that it has little to do with getting the first Smart cars as the initial shipment will be far greater than 300 cars if you have ever seen one of the ships that delivers cars you would know what I mean.

I too can not wait to get my Smart car, in fact, my wife and I both made reservations the first week of the launch after admiring them in Europe for years.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I tend to agree. It also assures MB that when the cars get here they WILL have buyers and not simply depending on American Ads and commercials. :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Well, their first year's worth of cars are already sold and aren't even here yet. Half of the next year will probably be spoken for as well. Then there'll be a ton of people interested just from seeing the car on the road. Probably 2 years of cars are already sold, basically. Why waste money/advertising on cars you won't sell for two years? :D

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
I think everyone reading too much into these early confirmations. I would suggest that the confirmation are really a means of gathering information or a survey. .... .
If by confirmations you mean those who have already been allowed to enter mysmartfortwo.com, I disagree. These lucky folks will be the first to get their car. Its not a survey, its the next step in the ordering process. (although they will get some data from it....)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If by confirmations you mean those who have already been allowed to enter mysmartfortwo.com, I disagree. These lucky folks will be the first to get their car. Its not a survey, its the next step in the ordering process. (although they will get some data from it....)
Yes, BUT......as we've mentioned, there most likely will be cars available with or without a reservation. It just may not be the exact model/configuration you want and you may get it way before the car you "reserved".

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Yes, BUT......as we've mentioned, there most likely will be cars available with or without a reservation. It just may not be the exact model/configuration you want and you may get it way before the car you "reserved".

perhaps....but have you heard of the saying:

"tip of the iceberg" ? :p;)

that might account for less then 1% of orders!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not dismiss the confirmation, they are likely legit confirmations. But why only 300? Why not serveral thousand? They likely accomplished several things, shaking down their confirmation system, gathering information (as I stated), etc. I would not doubt these folks may be the first to get a Smart. I looked at the thread for the 300 confirmations and it appeared to me that too many people were making too much of it. If it is "first come - first served", you will get your email for confirmation in due time.

If Penske folks are smart, which I think they are, I think that they are using every bit of information from the reservations to confirmations to help plan the delivery and sales. Why not learn what you need to build, where it needs to go, how many solid orders you have, etc., it appears to me to be just good business and I do not think they got as big as they are by not using good planning and good information to reduce their risk.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its 300 per week not 300 total. The program started 4 or 5 weeks ago so thats more like 1200-1500 who have been invited to 'confirm' - that's gotta be more than a survey....right??

·
Registered
522 Posts
1000 smarts have been ordered

Please see the discussion "Placing your order at mysmart fortwo.com" in the smart car reservations. A ccn news article says Penske Auto Group has ordered 1000 smarts based on info from the website reservation plan. Things seem to be moving along.:D:cool:

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Its 300 per week not 300 total. The program started 4 or 5 weeks ago so thats more like 1200-1500 who have been invited to 'confirm' - that's gotta be more than a survey....right??
exactly! I think the cnn article incorporates some "journalistic freedom" into it! :rolleyes:;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts