Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my Smart Roadster started knocking ONLY at 6th speed specially with full throttle and more specific on rising road
I gone to smart and the system detects problem with knocking sensor. I change it with NEW(bosch).
The scanning tool continues to showing the same error.
I run a dyno test and checked the programmed everything showing perfect.
I run a diagnostic test for the cylinders on road and I verified the the knocking problem is on 3rd cylinder and only in 6th speed.
I changed the fuel filter and I am running only 100 octane fuel. I used also a FI cleaner oil (mixed with fuel).
The problem insists. Any ideas??? Thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hello my Smart Roadster started knocking ONLY at 6th speed specially with full throttle and more specific on rising road
I gone to smart and the system detects problem with knocking sensor. I change it with NEW(bosch).
The scanning tool continues to showing the same error.
I run a dyno test and checked the programmed everything showing perfect.
I run a diagnostic test for the cylinders on road and I verified the the knocking problem is on 3rd cylinder and only in 6th speed.
I changed the fuel filter and I am running only 100 octane fuel. I used also a FI cleaner oil (mixed with fuel).
The problem insists. Any ideas??? Thanks.
Swap injector 1 and 3. See if problem follows
Swap coil 1 and 3. See if problem follows
New spark plugs.
If the problem moves to cyl 1 then that component is bad. If it stays on cyl 3 then you have a different problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your lucky you never got the roadster in the States.
Biggest problem and common faults was rain water leaks due to poor build quality and design.
Mine had rain water leaks from soft top roof, door mirrors, door speakers, trunk and worst of all front bulkhead leading to water getting into the sam unit, which needed replacement.
Sold it, the minute the two year warranty was up, as could stand the damp no longer. (Yeh, only 2 years warranty from new)
It was a great drivers car, but unfortunately flawed.
Got a 453 cabrio now, and its bone dry :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts