Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have information on the revival of the Roadster. I am sure it would sell like hotcakes at the waffle house

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Kimber

Wikipedia said:
Project Kimber and the AC Ace Roadster

Project Kimber has bought the tooling for the Roadster and will restart production of the car in 2007 in South Wales. The reborn Smart will wear the famous AC badge and is named AC Ace It's been confirmed that the lightweight machine will be designed and engineered by some of the UK's most accomplished automotive experts. Gordon Murray, the South African-born designer responsible for the McLaren F1 road car, is involved, as is John Piper, who helped build the JCB Dieselmax land speed record machine. But while Pro*ject Kimber has revealed the names behind its new model, the exact specifications remain secret.

However, it is set to be available as a Roadster and Coupé. The newcomer is expected to have a fresh Mitsubishi power-plant and gearbox, plus a distinct original style created by Keith Helfet, who also worked on the Jaguar F-Type concept car. Production was due to start in 2007, but has not as of yet. The maker hoped to build 8,000 examples of the AC Ace every year.

Prices have not yet been discussed by the company, although speculation has suggested a figure in the region of £13,000.

The use of the AC name will not affect production of the AC MkV heritage sports car, which is assembled in small numbers in Malta.

No information has been released from Project Kimber since December 2006, causing some concern that the project has gone 'cold'.
http://www.projectkimber.com/

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Cool as it is......it was discontinued in Europe. Doubt we'll be seeing it here any time soon.

Addendum: LMAO, In fact I think my information is about as useful as the above. :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
The roadster is one gorgeous machine, and I'd happily succumb to a mid-life crisis and buy one if I could, but I think it, and the forfour were the victims of MB being overly ambitious for the smart, which is why they're both gone.

If sales of the 451 help bring the smart division solidly into the black, we may see MB looking to -slowly- increase their lineup again. But I don't think we'll see quick reintroductions of the roadster, forfour, crosstown SUV or crossblade anytime soon.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortuneatly I agree with all of you. To aggressive with high ambitions at the first, guess thats why Swatch dropped out. Maybe in the future, if I dont expire by the time it happens. heeehheh:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts