Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
17,384 Posts
The roadster was discontinued in 2005. Due to insane importation laws it's almost impossible to legally get one through customs.

You'd have to wait until the car reaches 25 years old, pay thousands in conversion costs (with no guarantee that it'll even be legal), or perform some VIN laundering.

A few members on this board got some roadsters through the borders legally somehow, but none of them have spoken as to how they did it...

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
They are fun to drive but so are lots of other cars. If you can swing it, an older Cayman will be similar in general feel (though a LOT faster!).

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Smart Roadster will be reborn

According to In Auto News, there might be one in 2014 along with a new Fortwo and a new ForFour. :D I guess one can always hope for it. :eek:

I think it would be really cool and good for the Smart image if it did happen and came to the USA. :cool: Perhaps if Smart had a re-badged re-designed Mazda M5 Miata, it could happen? (hoping Smart USA sees this and is inspired :rolleyes: ).

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
'
The new generation of Smart Roadster is very close to the production line and it will hit the showrooms sometime next year.
According to Autoexpressnews, a Smart customer was informed after a visit to his local dealer about the plans to produce a new generation of the Roadster. This is not everything and also a 4×4 rival of the Mini Countryman is also on its way.'
In Auto News. 2013?

·
17,384 Posts
The date of that article:

Thursday, July 21st, 2011.

I'll believe the roadster (and the forfour) is coming back when Daimler says so. :)

I would not like a badge engineered MX-5 as a smart. Badge engineering is what destroys the auto industry. Brands lose their ways by badge engineering.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,696 Posts
'
The new generation of Smart Roadster is very close to the production line and it will hit the showrooms sometime next year.
According to Autoexpressnews, a Smart customer was informed after a visit to his local dealer about the plans to produce a new generation of the Roadster. This is not everything and also a 4×4 rival of the Mini Countryman is also on its way.'
In Auto News. 2013?
Nothing new going on here as this is 2011 minutae of smart models said to be rolling out in 2014 . . .

The "In Auto News" report is NOT 2013 but rather Jul 21, 2011.

Appears that the "In Auto News" report is a warmed over July 19, 2011 report from Auto Express?? Smart Roadster revealed | News | Auto Express

smart 4X4 based on Mercedes’ new B-Class platform?

And another smart roadster variant?

Much to do about nothing . . .

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Just some more 3-D concept drawings, that will never go anywhere. I do like the roadster. The other two, the 4 door, and that cross thing, are just plain ugly! Glad there just drawings!

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,696 Posts
Just buy the next generation Alfa/Miata roadster. Sweet.
BUT, if the Alfa doesn't have that solid lifter growl of an "old school Alfa" it's just another (yawn) rebadged MX-5.

Just the thought of a Japanese based Alfa . . . :rolleyes:

·
17,384 Posts
Just some more 3-D concept drawings, that will never go anywhere. I do like the roadster. The other two, the 4 door, and that cross thing, are just plain ugly! Glad there just drawings!
Ditto! So far, every single artist rendering of future smarts have left me running for a paper bag...like miniaturized Pontiac Aztecs!

BUT, if the Alfa doesn't have that solid lifter growl of an "old school Alfa" it's just another (yawn) rebadged MX-5.

Just the thought of a Japanese based Alfa . . . :rolleyes:
That's even more strange than a MX-5 as a smart.

An Alfa with Mazda DNA might as well be like a Ferrari with Daewoo DNA... :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts