Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to my car this morning and found my car was in a state of disarray. Somehow someone got into my car with or without setting off the alarm, and without breaking any glass, although the back corners of both side windows are covered in fingerprints. This leads me to believe they simply pulled the glass aside and unlatched the handles from the inside. So here's what they took

-My Pioneer single din faceplate (what are they going to do with that?)
-My Boss Bass 600 amplified sub
-My Garmin GPS, which was in my glovebox
-My U2 Special Edition Ipod, which was in my glovebox

I always hide my stuff from view/temptation except for my faceplate, but I'm thinking that maybe there was a mark on my window from the GPS? At any rate, it sucks--the insurance company said that if they had actually taken the stereo, they would be able to reimburse me, but since it was just the faceplate it is "not permanently attached".

So now I have a Pioneer stereo with no faceplate, and I didn't really like that Pioneer anyways--the interface kind of sucked. I'm thinking of upgrading to a GPS 2-din unit so I don't leave marks on my window anymore (i'll be taking th e faceplate with me this time). Thing is the single-din already has the extra Ipod connectivity bit and the bluetooth addon modules which are still in my car. Does anyone know which Pioneer GPS model will work with those? Or am I better off getting a whole new one with everything integrated?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the even wierder thing is my wife's smart was not robbed, and her car does not have the alarm while mine does.

·
Registered
189 Posts
At any rate, it sucks--the insurance company said that if they had actually taken the stereo, they would be able to reimburse me, but since it was just the faceplate it is "not permanently attached".
What a crock!!!! Your insurance will not cover ANY items removed from the car, just because they were not permanent? If you left it unlocked I might see them getting away with that, but not if it was locked. Can you get a second opinion or escalate that?
How about your homeowners policy? Many times they will cover those items that your vehicle policy will not.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I believe that the pioneer units are cross compatible. Check with Pioneer's website and look under accessories and look at a GPS unit you like and see if they have the same S/N. Sorry that happened to you, those crooks do anything in a tough economy. A few weeks ago, this guy I knew a couple streets away was arrested for burglary. It was a shocker to me. Hope the cops took those fingerprints and put them into a database and tried to find out who did it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
woah yea i don't know anyone to my knowledge that burglarizes--would be shocking. I called the SF Police and told them that a) my car was broekn into and b) it was covered in greasy fingerprints that they were welcome to come and lift. They told me I can fill out a police report online, and they don't send cops over for minor things such as this as they have bigger fish to fry here

as for the unit, I found a Pioneer AVIC-U310BT , which is areally cheap unit that has a GPS, bluetooth, and Ipod connectivity, which is everything I need for a really low price (I paid $253 but it was the last one from that seller, and now its $258). The screen is smaller than the $1,000 + units, but it has everything I need, and I'll sell the existing kit I have on craigslist (maybe I'll find the guy who stole my stuff on there hmmmm). Here's the link to the unit I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FL4XL4?ie=UTF8&tag=alineis3mido-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002FL4XL4"

I also got another Bass 600, because even though I was disappointed when it started dieing after 6 months of ownership, all the wiring is still there. I'm going to bolt it down instead of velcro it this time . . . or maybe if someone is willing to mfg. the bolts to modify the passengers' seat to put it under there?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well.... you can't really take the faceplate with you if you get an in-dash nav. At least not on any of the Pioneer or Kenwood double DIN's that i've seen. Seen an Eclipse in-dash system that had a Garmin GPS that could pop out of the front like a typical head unit faceplate.... but don't think i've seen any others.

And i, too, would question their judgement about not covering the radio because all they stole was the faceplate. Theft is theft. Can't do anything with your radio without the faceplate. It won't turn on without it, and last time i checked, i don't think you can buy faceplates separately.

·
Registered
341 Posts
As far as insurance, I would argue the radio was damaged... it certainly won't work without the faceplate. And, the radio is not removable.

Car insurance usually won't cover lose contents (like your GPS), but they are just being cheep not covering the radio.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Most insurance companies do NOT cover anything you add to your car, stereos, amps, GPS's, anything that was not factory installed (speaking from experience here....). Even if it is permemently mounted.

The only way they'll cover it is if you add a "rider" to your policy stating you added the upgraded stereo, amps, speakers, whatever. To which, of course, increases your insurance premium...

Pictures, receipts, etc. mean nothing.

So I've learned from experience, leave it stock unless you want to lose money (either by theft or the cost of the upgraded head unit) !!

I once owned a Suzuki Samurai and it was broken into 7 times during my ownership. Of course they cut the top. Upgraded stereo stolen. Insurance deductible more than the top cost. Stereo not covered. Replaced stereo with a removeable face plate and new top. Top cut again, jacket on back seat stolen, stereo left alone. Replaced top, leave doors unlocked. Stereo stolen, since vehicle left unlocked, no coverage, even though they cut the top again, they don't wanna even talk about it. Put original factory stereo back in, no one jacked with it.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I remember when I bought my new 08 mine I custom ordered,,had navi and all the toys in her, I met a guy on the forum and both of ours were on the same boat,

He parked outside gay club, and they took nothing but vandalized his car even kicking his navi unit and stealing his shift knob.

I was in horror looking at those pics.
We waited 8 weeks together as our orders were side by side.
Insurance paid a bit, he also had to drive the car six hours home, he was a mess.

Sorry it happens to anyone.

·
Registered
560 Posts
woah yea i don't know anyone to my knowledge that burglarizes--would be shocking. I called the SF Police and told them that a) my car was broekn into and b) it was covered in greasy fingerprints that they were welcome to come and lift. They told me I can fill out a police report online, and they don't send cops over for minor things such as this as they have bigger fish to fry here
True Dat !! :)

One of the times my car was broken into, a cop came out to do a police report. I didn't touch anything, as handprints were all over everything. I had washed my car the day before so I knew they weren't mine. When I told the cop they could lift prints, he just smiled at me and said, "The only time we lift prints on a car is when a homicide was commited. This is real life, not TV." He didn't say it snotty, he just said it matter-of-factly.

Sucks walking out to your car and see its been broken in to. Been there more times than I care to think about. :mad: Got to the point where I'd just clean up and go to work....

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
Well.... you can't really take the faceplate with you if you get an in-dash nav. At least not on any of the Pioneer or Kenwood double DIN's that i've seen.
The actual 4.3" nav unit on the Pioneer AVIC-U310BT is removable, but the rest of the faceplate is permanent.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The actual 4.3" nav unit on the Pioneer AVIC-U310BT is removable, but the rest of the faceplate is permanent.
Yep, I heard that. I also heard that it does not contain the GPS antenna, so it is sort of useless w/o the rest of the deck, but I think by taking it with me at least it'll be a bit of a deterrent to people who want to get into my car again . . . and i won't have any more "Hey everyone I have GPS in my glovebox" marks on my windshield.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep, I heard that. I also heard that it does not contain the GPS antenna, so it is sort of useless w/o the rest of the deck, but I think by taking it with me at least it'll be a bit of a deterrent to people who want to get into my car again . . . and i won't have any more "Hey everyone I have GPS in my glovebox" marks on my windshield.
Must be a stupid crook, anyone smart (no punt intended) would have broken into anyone's car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts