Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've doing this thread in 3 different forums for quite some time, now I'll share the info here as well.

September 2012.
Spain: 102
Italy: 1,775
USA: 1,030
Sweden: 4
Canada: 386
Netherlands: 22
UK: 885
Germany: 1,833
Australia: 7
Mexico: 125
France: 463
Greece: 29
Denmark: 16
Russia: 8
Austria: 47
Portugal: 105
Argentina: 24
Belgium: 73
Japan: 250
Total: 9,248.

YTD 2012: 78,984.

Sources: Autoblog and Bestsellingcarsblog.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let's start with Spain where 102 Smarts were sold in September 2012.
Source: Autoblog.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Because the numbers are not released the same day...
Thanks for sharing but to JW's point, your three posts were all made on the same day, 3 minutes apart?

And if you list each country in which smarts are sold individually, just sayin' . . . . :)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I see the point, I decided to start the thread here, but for example the numbers from Spain were available yesterday, Italy's today. To do the the list I'd have to wait until the end of each month to post all of them at once....my sources don't reveal all the numbers the same day.
I don't think is a big deal a post per country, there are many threads with useless and off topic posts in them....just saying....

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Worldwide numbers:

The smart fortwo model also recorded positive growth in September. With 9,248 units delivered sales of the innovative two-seater city runabout increased by 8.9%. Particularly strong growth came again from the U.S. (+119.6%), China (incl. Hong Kong) (+18.3%), Canada (+153.9%) and Mexico (+45.3%). Year-to-date and September sales hit new records in China and Mexico.
Thus, the smart is well on its way to repeating last year’s solid sales performance with a total of 78,984 vehicles delivered to customers in the first three quarters of 2012 (+1.8%).
Source: Daimler Media.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The cool thing about this thread is, the US is #3 for smart sales!!! And everybody whines about sales being in the toilet....

It also shows that smart is on target with sales worldwide. Multiply that out, and you get about 120K cars a year. smartville is only capable of about 150K cars, so they are running at about 80% capacity right now. Which is a good place to be. They can meet demand if it grows, but they are not sitting idle either.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Sept, 2012.....1,030 units in the US isn't steller sales, compared to sales number back in 2008 at this time. Sales are in the toilet compared to 2008.

Smart sold 24,622 units in the US 2008. Total 2012 sales this year 7,311.

The ChevySpark, sold 2,630 units August 2012. 2,223 in September. Why aren't people flocking to smart dealership anymore? 3 TV ad on the tube too. None in 2008 year.

Of course they is more competition now. smart was the only US city car, in 2008.

Can wait for a new smart model in 2014. Way over due.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Sept, 2012.....1,030 units in the US isn't steller sales, compared to sales number back in 2008 at this time. Sales are in the toilet compared to 2008.

Smart sold 24,622 units in the US 2008. Total 2012 sales this year 7,311.

The ChevySpark, sold 2,630 units August 2012. 2,223 in September. Why aren't people flocking to smart dealership anymore? 3 TV ad on the tube too. None in 2008 year.

Of course they is more competition now. smart was the only US city car, in 2008.

Can wait for a new smart model in 2014. Way over due.

Yes, 2008 was a stellar year, but there was a reservation list, and a lot of pent-up demand for the car. People waited 18 months to get a car. Do we really want to go back to that? I don't. As long as MBUSA & smart are happy with sales, so am I. I think a peak of about 12-15K cars a year would be fabulous. Truth is, smartville really can't handle any more than that. It's a niche car, for a niche market. It's also a 5 year old design that is winding down. I am sure you will see a significant upswing in sales once the 453 comes out. It happens with all brands. The last year or two of a model are the slowest, demand has been met, and people want something new.

Right now, smart is doing OK in the US. There is a lot of ingrained ideas about what a car "should" be, and smart has challenged that. Plus, I like driving a car I don't see on every street corner.:D

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
The cool thing about this thread is, the US is #3 for smart sales!!! And everybody whines about sales being in the toilet....

It also shows that smart is on target with sales worldwide. Multiply that out, and you get about 120K cars a year. smartville is only capable of about 150K cars, so they are running at about 80% capacity right now. Which is a good place to be. They can meet demand if it grows, but they are not sitting idle either.
Yes, 2008 was a stellar year, but there was a reservation list, and a lot of pent-up demand for the car. People waited 18 months to get a car. Do we really want to go back to that? I don't. As long as MBUSA & smart are happy with sales, so am I. I think a peak of about 12-15K cars a year would be fabulous. Truth is, smartville really can't handle any more than that. It's a niche car, for a niche market. It's also a 5 year old design that is winding down. I am sure you will see a significant upswing in sales once the 453 comes out. It happens with all brands. The last year or two of a model are the slowest, demand has been met, and people want something new.

Right now, smart is doing OK in the US. There is a lot of ingrained ideas about what a car "should" be, and smart has challenged that. Plus, I like driving a car I don't see on every street corner.:D

Two good posts WNB ..... BUT... aren't you supposed to be working :p

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For some weird reason I don't see the edit button on the first post so I'll start posting numbers here while I figure out why I can't edit.

October 2012.
USA: 998
Spain: 129

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No wonder why I couldn't, let's please start posting the October numbers then please!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts