Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Despite the continued difficult market environment in Southern Europe the smart sub-compact brand also developed positively in October. In the previous month, a total of 8,977 smart fortwo (+8.1%) were delivered to customers worldwide. Sales in the year to date are thus at 87,961 units (+2.4%). Therefore, smart is well on course to hold the good sales level of the previous year. The innovative two-seater posted particularly high growth rates in October in the USA (+205.2%), Great Britain (+37.3%), Canada (+70.4%) and Japan (+91.3%). The city runabout most recently ranked first among the sub-compact cars in the customer barometer of ADAC, which yearly measures drivers' satisfaction with their vehicle.#
Source: Mercedes-Benz Starts with Record Sales into the Fourth Quarter | Daimler Global Media Site > Company > Business News

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here are the numbers for October 2012:

USA: 998
Spain: 129
Italy: 1862
Netherlands: 22
UK: 510
Denmark: 14
Germany: 2650
Portugal: 101
Australia: 2
Mexico: 147
Austria: 53
Russia: 3
France: 502
Canada: 167
Switzerland: 200
Japan: 88
Czech Republic: 9
Brazil: 52
Argentina: 51
Belgium: 78

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Were in December now. What are the numbers in Japan? They like small cars. Still curious.

Latest November numbers would really be in order......

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
November numbers are just starting to appear every day and not all at once, the Mods suggested to wait until I gather all the numbers for the month to post them, so they are going to be 2 months old by the time i post them....

·
Super Moderator
28,523 Posts
Just to clarify, I think the suggestion was to keep them all in one post vs. a separate post as each new number came in. You can update that single post when you get a new number. Post #23 is a good example. :)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Worldwide numbers for November 2012.

From the Daimler site:

With sales of 96,383 units (+2.2%), on the home stretch of the year smart is still on course to break the 100,000 unit sales mark also in 2012. In November the city runabout was especially popular with customers in the USA (+70.0%), China (incl. Hong Kong) (+16.7%) and Japan (+137.2%).
There was also another reason for the brand to celebrate in November. At the end of the month smart took the start with the biggest purely electric car2go fleet in Stuttgart. The capital city of Baden-Württemberg is thus the sixteenth city in which the mobility concept car2go is offered.
Source: Mercedes-Benz posts new sales record in November | Daimler Global Media Site > Company > Business News

So, November 2012: 8,422
YTD 2012: 96,383.

·
Registered
250 Posts
@ Mike_T:

No, isn't. Here in Germany it is an open secret that smart needs about 150.000 cars to survive. Business in Europe, US, China, Russia and Brazil is not as good as Zetsche announced.

Regards

Schaefca

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sales 2012:
smart fortwo again surpasses 100,000 milestone

Last year, 103,738 customers chose a new smart fortwo. With this, the previous year's outstanding sales volumes were not only met but exceeded by 1.7%. Dr. Zetsche: “The smart fortwo has once again managed to exceed our expectations, surpassing the milestone of 100,000 vehicles sold despite the difficult market environment in Southern Europe.” Over the last twelve months, the micro compact car performed particularly well primarily in the U.S. (+92.2%), China (incl. Hong Kong) (+43.8%) and Canada (+29.0%).
Fuente: Mercedes-Benz posts new sales record in 2012 | Daimler Global Media Site > Company > Business News

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
@ Mike_T:
No, isn't. Here in Germany it is an open secret that smart needs about 150.000 cars to survive. Business in Europe, US, China, Russia and Brazil is not as good as Zetsche announced.
>100,000 is about as good as the fortwo has even been, and given the terrible condition of the European markets where smart has good market penetration, this is a remarkable result. You know and I know that Daimler needs the smart for its carbon dioxide rating, so whether it is profitable or not, it is not going away so long as 100K are being sold each year.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You know and I know that Daimler needs the smart for its carbon dioxide rating, so whether it is profitable or not, it is not going away so long as 100K are being sold each year.
That's also not true anylonger. In Germany they published this news in December:

"Offensive mit High-Tech Motoren zahlt sich aus - CO2-Flottenziel bereits im November erreicht"

Mercedes-Benz Cars konnte die durchschnittlichen CO2-Emissionen seiner gesamten Pkw-Neuwagenflotte in Europa auf 140g/km reduzieren. Damit erreicht der Stuttgarter Automobilhersteller dank seiner Effizienz-Offensive in 2012 wiederholt eine überdurchschnittliche Senkung des CO2-Ausstoßes seiner Fahrzeugflotte und unterschreitet gleichzeitig die EU-Zielvorgaben..."
more>>

Sorry, there's no english-version. It means: A lot of DAIMLER-Cars in Europe now have a consumption like a smart (or even better):

A 180 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY: 3,7 l/100 km

B 200 Natural Gas Drive: 4,2 kg/100 km

C 220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Edition: 4,1l/100 km

E 300 BlueTEC HYBRID: 4,1l /100 km

E 220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Edition: 4,5l/100 km

E 250: 5,8l/100 km

SLK 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY: 4,8l/100km

S 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY: 5,5l /100 km

So, why paying anylonger for an expensive smart in the portolio?

Regards

Schaefca

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Because that is not how it is calculated in the USA, in the USA if Mercedes wants to keep selling cars (and none of the fuel-efficient ones you cited above are sold there), the smart is 100% needed, or they will start paying huge fines on each gas-guzzling V6 and V8 that they sell, pricing them out of the market compared to their competitors, and they will be excluded completely by law from some states like California.

The USA is at least as important to Mercedes as the German market.

That's why.

·
Registered
250 Posts
... or they will start paying huge fines on each gas-guzzling V6 and V8 that they sell,
Selling only 10.000 smarts the USA is no business, it costs millions of subsidies. I wouldn't wonder, if there's a limit until they'll stop it (they dreamt of 60.000 p.a.!). But now China, Russia, Brazil and India are the important markets, neither USA nor Europe.

Regards

Schaefca

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Penske may have dreamed of 60,000 but all I read at the time (2007) was they were hoping for 20,000. Mercedes' own goals for USA smarts were never stated. But that is all moot.

If selling any smarts in the USA, even as few as 10,000, allows Mercedes-Benz to continue to sell nearly 300,000 big cars in the USA every year, the business case is guaranteed.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
November 2012 Summary:
USA: 704
Spain: 107
Italy: 1599
France: 499
Netherlands: 44
Sweden: 4
UK: 553
Germany: 2,054
Mexico: 168
Russia: 5
Austria: 47
Portugal: 91
Canada: 152
Japan: 102
Argentina: 33
Switzerland: 158
Poland: 3
Brazil: 30

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Selling only 10.000 smarts the USA is no business, it costs millions of subsidies. I wouldn't wonder, if there's a limit until they'll stop it (they dreamt of 60.000 p.a.!). But now China, Russia, Brazil and India are the important markets, neither USA nor Europe.

Regards

Schaefca
The sales numbers below beg to differ with your statement:

November 2012 Summary:
USA: 704
Spain: 107
Italy: 1599
France: 499
Netherlands: 44
Sweden: 4
UK: 553
Germany: 2,054
Mexico: 168
Russia: 5
Austria: 47
Portugal: 91
Canada: 152
Japan: 102
Argentina: 33
Switzerland: 158
Poland: 3
Brazil: 30

According to these numbers, the USA is the 3rd largest market for smart. Sound pretty important to me.:)

·
Super Moderator
28,523 Posts
Penske may have dreamed of 60,000 but all I read at the time (2007) was they were hoping for 20,000. Mercedes' own goals for USA smarts were never stated. But that is all moot.

If selling any smarts in the USA, even as few as 10,000, allows Mercedes-Benz to continue to sell nearly 300,000 big cars in the USA every year, the business case is guaranteed.
FWIW, Penske's original goal was 15K (there's an interview somewhere...) which he later revised upward on the strength of all those $99 reservations. The current smart USA had a goal of 10K cars for 2012, which they just barely met - much more realistic. Nobody on this side of the pond ever mentioned 60K smart sales as far as I know. :)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,094 Posts
FWIW, Penske's original goal was 15K (there's an interview somewhere...) which he later revised upward on the strength of all those $99 reservations. The current smart USA had a goal of 10K cars for 2012, which they just barely met - much more realistic. Nobody on this side of the pond ever mentioned 60K smart sales as far as I know. :)
Very true. Even MB's own estimates, prior to Penske, in another article suggested that 20K was the max ceiling for smart in the US.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts