Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,554 Posts
A smart family? The forfour addition will tell the tale; with the fortwo and the electric drive, that's three versions available. The US market is said to be around 10K cars per year - smart will either end up splitting that 10K number among the three versions or, best case, the forfour may actually increase US sales beyond 10K per year. It's a gamble for sure. :)

PS - the MINI has grown so large now that in my opinion it no longer competes in the microcar market with the fortwo, Fiat 500 (2 door) and the Scion/Toyota iQ.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Mini's are more fun to drive. There not that big. A little longer then a 500. Not much. Folks here like there larger cars. There really isn't a need for micro cars here. We have large wide street, and plenty of parking spots. This is not Europe. In major cities, I can see a parking being a issue. I live in a suburb, with a large garage. My brother lives in down town Chicago for 22 years. He doesn't own a car. No place to park. No high insurance, or taxes, living in the city. If they want to get out of the city, they rent a car.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Well smark you hit it on the head.
We don't need the little micro cars here in the US and apparently we are getting the message from others that we should cease and desist.

This is not the point however. I know owning a smart is going against all the principles we have ever known. Everything in the US is big, spaces are capacious, our cars are monsters on the outside and not quite so on the inside and yet this has never been an issue. So here we come in a tiny vehicle which goes against the American way of life. Why, because we just like go with the beat of a different drummer.
I love it when I drive my little car just because it does go against everything I've ever known. I enjoy the engineering, the small outside dimensions and still bring comfort to a person well over 6 ft in size. That's an accomplishment.
What is so unfortunate is that the haters have never left the country and sometimes not even their state. These are the idiots who pass judgment on us and that's a shame.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
What is so unfortunate is that the haters have never left the country and sometimes not even their state. These are the idiots who pass judgment on us and that's a shame.
I couldn't agree more; the only reason some of these people have a visibly negative reaction to our cars (I'm being kind after some of the behavior I've read about being displayed towards members of this forum) is that it riles them that we have the means to buy cars that we enjoy, rather than barely being able to keep a beater alive, which may be the haters situation. Just guessing, but I think I may be right...

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Just imagine how great things would have been had they not killed off the formore, axed the roadster and deep sixed the forfour! I don't blame smart/M-B for being cautious now. Nostalgia has always held a lot more sway with the masses than innovative modern design; there is ample evidence of that on the roads today.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My co-workers that are drinking gallons of Haterade against our cars. I made a statement of I feel safer in my ride than their 4x4's. Of course twisting my words they want to Bigfoot over my car. How Kindergarden these folks are. I don't get my blood pressure up over these guys when I ask how many air bags they have. Point, match, set, Smart!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
In 2003-2005 the roadster and forfour were also sold, which bumped the numbers a bit. The Type 450 fortwo was steady at about 100,000 sales per year from 2000-2006 (770,256 were sold in total).

The 451 has been similar.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing how many smarts are actually in use here in the US. I live in a small city 100 miles from a smart center and have seen only 4 since I bought my smart this summer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In my little town of Delta Co. People hate it so much they dont even come around to look at it and get a look on their faces like they just bit into a lemon..I dont know but the Smart may go the way of the Daewoo which I owned one time. I paid 14,000 dollars for that car and in one year it depreciated 12,000 dollars because the Co. went out of business. I fear the same may happen here. If people start buying of course it'll stay. I'm glad I leased mine because if they are discontinued in the U.S. at least I won't loose anything this time. I'll just turn it in to MB and say adios. We use the smart for aroung town and as a towed vehicle behind our moho. What would I get next if the worst happens ? Probably a Toyota with manual transmission. (IQ) maybe. We will probably turn our Smart in anyhow because the nearest service center is 300 mi away (Denver) I would keep it if a service center gets over here on the Western slope of Co (Grand Junction area) but I dont think thats going to happen..So either way it goes back. Too bad I enjoy driving this little guy and my gas mileage is super (2014 model) 45/50 mpg. But Im not optimistic for this little guys survival in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
the last time I was in Colorado was 1974 so it's hard to figure what's up there now. lots of people with sour faces exist everywhere. as long as you leave them on the outside of your smart they won't hurt you.

"the Smart may go the way of the Daewoo which I owned one time. I paid 14,000 dollars for that car and in one year it depreciated 12,000 dollars because the Co. went out of business."

The company did not go out of business, GM bought it. you want a Daewoo? Buy a Chevy Cruz or Spark. Things have never been better (in the US) for Daewoo.

"I fear the same may happen here."

US sales of 10k per year is around 10% of smart global sales. there's upward potential, but it's hardly floundering. there are the broader roll out of the (successful) ed model, the new 453 model, the e-bike all coming up; lot's of good things can happen. in a few years even the forfour could appear here.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
In my little town of Delta Co. People hate it so much they dont even come around to look at it and get a look on their faces like they just bit into a lemon..I dont know but the Smart may go the way of the Daewoo which I owned one time. I paid 14,000 dollars for that car and in one year it depreciated 12,000 dollars because the Co. went out of business. I fear the same may happen here. If people start buying of course it'll stay. I'm glad I leased mine because if they are discontinued in the U.S. at least I won't loose anything this time. I'll just turn it in to MB and say adios. We use the smart for aroung town and as a towed vehicle behind our moho. What would I get next if the worst happens ? Probably a Toyota with manual transmission. (IQ) maybe. We will probably turn our Smart in anyhow because the nearest service center is 300 mi away (Denver) I would keep it if a service center gets over here on the Western slope of Co (Grand Junction area) but I dont think thats going to happen..So either way it goes back. Too bad I enjoy driving this little guy and my gas mileage is super (2014 model) 45/50 mpg. But Im not optimistic for this little guys survival in the U.S.
Daewoo didn't go away just got bought by GM. they sell under the Chevrolet nameplate these days. Some even built here in the USA.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Denny and Karl, Unless things have changed, the way I understood it at the time,was GM bought Daewoo but were not going to import them into the U.S. but all were going to China. Im not aware that the Cruz etc are Daewoos in disguise, Maybe things have changed in the past 10 yrs and I'm just not aware that Chevy vehicles (some) are manufactured in the old Daewoo plant in Korea.
Maybe you guys can bring me up to date..
Thanks for your input..
Don

61 - 80 of 86 Posts