Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my wife & I did our yearly berry picking run, too late for strawberries but the blueberries were ripe. On the ferry ride back a red cabrio smart parked next to us on the ferry. The woman driver wouldn't acknowledge us, let alone get out of the car. This was the closest we'd come to a smart driver in a while and we felt like we were being snubbed.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Arthur, that's EXACTLY how most smart owners in Northern NJ are. I guess they tend to believe they are the only ones around and hide in their private little world. I rarely get the attention of another smart on the road.:(

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Snob or lacking in social skills when someone tries to invade her personal space while she texted, tweeted and played some mindless game?

Opening doors, greeting strangers on the street - people today think you're the weird one, go figure.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Some people just aren't social, and picked up the car to have an economical super city car. Even if smart drivers do tend toward the friendly social type :D

·
Registered
651 Posts
I not think it is snobbery. There is a general mind your own bussiness attitude around N Jersey. Keep to yourself less toruble.Also many people who have smarts have been ridiculed and the vicitm of road rage. I think that pays a role also.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This smart was customized a little, all the smart logos were replaced with Mercedes stars. I didn't appear rude, knocking onn the door, waving in the windows or anything but did make myself available if she wanted to talk, I would have liked to invite her to help plan some events for local smarts. Oh well, her loss.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
In Mexico, that sort of behavior would be considered mal educado, poorly brought up. People here are friendly, have ready smiles and handshakes, and are always open to chat or meet new friends.
Back in the USA, I first noticed the difference when I returned from the Middle East in the 1960s, and again when I regurned from the South Pacific in the late 1970s. It was culture shock both times.
Now, I have been away from the USA since 2001 and worry about how I might react if I were to return; a prospect that could happen if I am forced to require a VA Hospital in my neighborhood.
It feels very strange, as a US citizen and veteran, to have such experiences. People elsewhere in the world seem so much happier and friendlier than Americans from the USA.
Here, when we meet other smarts, we wave and chat if parked; as we should.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
On the ferry ride back a red cabrio smart parked next to us on the ferry. The woman driver wouldn't acknowledge us, let alone get out of the car. This was the closest we'd come to a smart driver in a while and we felt like we were being snubbed.

You never know what kind of day she was having, or what might have been on her mind.

Her day might've been going very differently from yours, and she may have needed privacy, may not have felt well, had some sort of problem, had something on her mind, etc., etc. Or to her, maybe her smart is nothing but transportation.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Yesterday my wife & I did our yearly berry picking run, too late for strawberries but the blueberries were ripe. On the ferry ride back a red cabrio smart parked next to us on the ferry. The woman driver wouldn't acknowledge us, let alone get out of the car. This was the closest we'd come to a smart driver in a while and we felt like we were being snubbed.
I hope it's not snobbery, but I've been known to occasionally ignore strangers when I'm driving my smart car (on non-work days) just because I know I'll get baited into a conversation when I'm in a hurry.

It usually goes like this:

a.) is your car safe/you shouldn't feel safe/you can't drive that on the frwy
b.) your car is cute, but blah blah
c.) what kind of gas mileage does it get? and a million other questions

Sometimes I just want to pump my gas and go... hope it's not snobbery, but I only do it in my smart car... I might not have the extra 10 minutes to answer questions from a stranger about my car... or listen to his/her fears about driving one... or opinions about why I should fear the little car... etc,.

- .02 cents

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Whereas driving a smart usually means that you will get some attention, some of it perhaps unwanted, it does't make you Alec Baldwin or Lindsay Lohan. Private citizens who aren't paid for their celebrity are still entitled to their own privacy.

As for NYC metro-area smart drivers being snobs, personally I try to make eye contact with other smart drivers on the road and acknowledge them and always return friendly nods in our direction when we're driving (often in N. NJ). Always happy to talk shop in the wild.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Some folks don't get gaga, seeing another smart car on the road. We see plenty here. They go along with their busy. It was a big deal back in 08 to jump up and down when you saw another one.

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
Maybe it was their spouse's car and they just needed some transportation. They may not have known much about it and did not want to try and answer questions they knew nothing about. Not that uncommon...

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I wouldn't talk to you either. I see from your plates you are one of those "political types from Washington", AND drive a Mercedes. So typical of politicians. :D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Many people really want to talk about your Smart car but they don't know how to open the conversation, so they start out with some negative they have heard or read on the internet. (Most Smart car conversation among gear heads on the internet is negative. LOL)

Although we have owned our car over 6 years now, conversations happen almost every time we drive it. We love it, It's fun talking Smart car. Isn't that the main reason we are all here on SCOA ?

Many times the opener is "Ha, Ha I would never fit in that" LOL as you swing open the door and invite them in. I always close the door after them so they can feel the room.

Or, I'd hate to get hit in that ( That's why it's bright ,"airport follow me", yellow and black.)

Gas mileage ? I once got 52.8 Mpg, So answer is one can get around 53 Miles per gallon if you try, but I usually get 43 to 46.

Freeway speed ? it will cruise 85-90 on the freeway.

Down sides ? MB repair costs and MB incompetence . Smart is best a DIY auto for most simple things.

Many people have never been up close to a Smart and they think it's brand new. ( Our car looks new even though it's an old 08) LOL Then I go into the plastic & color through and through.

As I say, I love to talk Smart. A2Jack

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,219 Posts
Being a smart owner is more than just owning a car. It is life style that we choose to be a part of and I am one happy person that will take the time to answer questions of anyone that is seriously interested.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts