Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smart 451 soft top issue (pic)

So this portion of my soft top has this type of problem, i put my hand on top it feels like something underneath is sticking up causing what it looks like now. anyone have experienced this? is it because of the cold weather? how to fix?

thanks

thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm thinking that Mike T is really saying that this isn't a problem.

I definitely see what the OP is referring to.

Someone else might be able to comment on whether this is the start of something worse... or just a part of the natural aging of a Cabrio fabric top.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not the rails, but do you guys see the middle fabric has like bubble whereas the rest are flat?

when i got the car a year ago it had no problem, until now..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it worries me............ i want to it to look new like other parts of the fabric! is there anyway to solve it? When i got it it was flat, i don't like the look of it now, it looks aging!! no one likes aging

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not normal when it's new..... i want it to look new so if I do end up selling it in future, it looks new to the buyer! right now it looks like it has been used a lot! like an old dusty vag

·
17,349 Posts
not normal when it's new..... i want it to look new so if I do end up selling it in future, it looks new to the buyer! right now it looks like it has been used a lot! like an old dusty vag
Thanks for that image... :eek:

Sorry to tell you, but what you see is in fact, NORMAL! :)

The cabriolet top is made from fabric. It looks "perfect" from the factory because it hasn't seen use or really been exposed to the environment. But, being fabric, it will not look the same after being used and being exposed to the environment. That's just how fabric is.

It's just like leather seats. You can take care of them, but they will show signs of wear no matter what you do!!!

What you see is absolutely normal. And as the car ages, the top might get even more ripples. Just take care of it and all will be fine! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am crying now................................................ any pics of what it would look like when it's broken in? the car is 08, previous owner never really open the top so it looked really new when i bought it, since then i used quite a lot..... lol

·
17,349 Posts
I am crying now................................................ any pics of what it would look like when it's broken in? the car is 08, previous owner never really open the top so it looked really new when i bought it, since then i used quite a lot..... lol
Wait, I thought the top and/or car was new based on your earlier posts?

If it's a 2008, then I'd say it looks exceptionally good.

Here's what a new top would look like:

As long as it isn't leaking, there aren't any tears, it's operating fine, and there isn't anything trying to rip open the top...all's well! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea previous owner never really opened the top as i was told, so i referred it as new (as to now ripples) :(

looks like I'm gonna be stuck with this, thanks though!! very much

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
btw, does the rear horizontal brake light supposed to work?? i think mine doesn't :S ever since i got it

·
17,349 Posts
Probably just needs a new lightbulb. Easy as unscrewing the holder and replacing the bulb. :)

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
IMHO, with the smart cabrio top hand washing is your friend.

The "brush less" automated car wash still puts lots of pressure on the fabric when it is most vulnerable, wet!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts