Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an unbelievable story to share. I have to give a shout out to Smart for standing behind their product.

I have a 2013 ED that I bought used about 6 months ago. It had a major issue with the ECM a couple weeks ago. I It shorted out and "melted down". It's still under the original factory warranty so Smart sent a tow truck and took it to the Smart Center about 68 miles away from my home. An ECM was ordered and replaced but then they couldn't get it to connect to the battery.

Apparently, the connections to the battery were damaged and reconnection was impossible. I don't know how or why but but the battery was determined to be bad and it had to be replaced. They are now going to replace the battery in my 2013 ED with a new one. My guy at the Smart Center said the cost of the battery is $29,000. I have no idea how the battery alone can be more than the original price of the car but that's what he said.

I really feel like Smart is going above and beyond to put my ED back on the road. It really restores my faith in big business and I have a new respect for Smart all around. I even told him that I didn't feel like this makes any business sense at all seeing as they are going to have more wrapped up in this car than a new one is worth. But he said they were committed to making this right.

At this point, I'm going to feel bad ever buying any other car than a Smart for a really long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,755 Posts
My guy at the Smart Center said the "cost" of the battery is $29,000.
Thanks for sharing a great Customer Care story but while we know the battery pack must be expensive, this HV battery "cost" remains an urban legend . . . :shrug:

Are there any replacement HV batteries stateside or will it be coming from Europe?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing a great Customer Care story but while we know the battery pack must be expensive, this HV battery "cost" remains an urban legend . . . :shrug:

Yeah, that seems impossible that a battery would cost more than the car. I'll see if I can get my hands on the documentation when this is all said and done.

·
17,474 Posts
The battery most likely does not cost more than the car. Much like how the 451's engine costs "$10,000", that's the cost you would have had to pay if you didn't have a warranty. So long as they didn't have massive cost overruns in development, it should be somewhat cheap for them to make the battery. :)

Your story gives me hope. Not all dealers are bad and the smart love is still out there!!!!! :D

Reactions: emailchrishall

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery most likely does not cost more than the car. Much like how the 451's engine costs "$10,000", that's the cost you would have had to pay if you didn't have a warranty. So long as they didn't have massive cost overruns in development, it should be somewhat cheap for them to make the battery. :)

Your story gives me hope. Not all dealers are bad and the smart love is still out there!!!!! :D

Regardless of the price, they are putting more in to this car than I paid for it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have an unbelievable story to share. I have to give a shout out to Smart for standing behind their product.

I have a 2013 ED that I bought used about 6 months ago. It had a major issue with the ECM a couple weeks ago. I It shorted out and "melted down". It's still under the original factory warranty so Smart sent a tow truck and took it to the Smart Center about 68 miles away from my home. An ECM was ordered and replaced but then they couldn't get it to connect to the battery.

Apparently, the connections to the battery were damaged and reconnection was impossible. I don't know how or why but but the battery was determined to be bad and it had to be replaced. They are now going to replace the battery in my 2013 ED with a new one. My guy at the Smart Center said the cost of the battery is $29,000. I have no idea how the battery alone can be more than the original price of the car but that's what he said.

I really feel like Smart is going above and beyond to put my ED back on the road. It really restores my faith in big business and I have a new respect for Smart all around. I even told him that I didn't feel like this makes any business sense at all seeing as they are going to have more wrapped up in this car than a new one is worth. But he said they were committed to making this right.

At this point, I'm going to feel bad ever buying any other car than a Smart for a really long time.

I don't want to upset you, but how is smart going above and beyond?
You said ' It is still under orignal factory warranty'. That was and is smarts obligation to stand behind their warranty, right? Nothing special there.
What did you expect them to do?

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,103 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't want to upset you, but how is smart going above and beyond?

You said ' It is still under orignal factory warranty'. That was and is smarts obligation to stand behind their warranty, right? Nothing special there.

What did you expect them to do?

I have just become accustomed to car manufacturers that don't stand behind their products like this and try to find some way to blame it on the owner.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Chris (that's you name?)

From your description of the problem, the battery cells themselves are not bad - only a relay or PC board inside the pack case. They put a relay (probably two of them for redundancy) inside the case to safely isolate the high voltage inside the pack case when the car is switched off, being worked on, or most importantly, in a crash. The battery pack case is probably only opened up for repair at a factory facility in Germany or France - the dealer treats the pack as a single part. So had you not been under warranty, it would have cost you $29K to replace what is probably only a $40.00 part inside the case.

Crazy.

Paul D.

·
Registered
832 Posts
YThe published replacement cost for the larger 24Kwh Leaf battery is $5,500 (with return of the original battery).
That is not the normal cost of the spare part, but a special deal because a lot of first generation batteries were degrading rapidly due to poor thermal management. It's amazing that they had the balls to charge anything at all to fix what was a major design flaw!

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,103 Posts
That is not the normal cost of the spare part, but a special deal because a lot of first generation batteries were degrading rapidly due to poor thermal management. It's amazing that they had the balls to charge anything at all to fix what was a major design flaw!
I'm pretty sure that's the cost to replace any Leaf battery if it isn't covered under the "less than 70% capacity in 5 years" warranty. But, yes I agree the first Leaf owners got a raw deal and Nissan only instituted that warranty after southwest owners applied a lot of pressure and negative press.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chris I think you just entered the "Smart Hall of Fame" for the MOST EXPENSIVE REPAIR. But at any rate I think you're worth it. It's been a blast having you on the forum and I hope you can make it to the April Fools rally in April so we can talk shop ! DCO

I'd like to hear about this rally. Did I miss the invitation?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Why didn't they just give you a new car. That $29k is the list price of a new battery. Looked it up for another thread. Might as well after labor they are going to pay...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
So it's $23,185 plus $8085 refundable core. - And that's a remanufactured pack. Only some cells, or perhaps just a relay or other internal part is replaced.

When would it ever make economic sense to replace the battery pack?

I think MB is used to a customer base who largely belong to the "price is no object" set for whom talking about the price of anything is quite gauche (except, for some reason, income taxes).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts