Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching for an air intake for my 453 turbo I chose this. Cold air intake seems to me to be a bad idea. If you have worked on a Smart (this is my second Smart) the engine compartment is very hot and very dusty. I spent a lot of time in there on my 451.
I could not find any reviews or anyone that has installed the kit. There website states it's plug and play. Changing the side turn signals to LED is plug and play, this is NOT. The installation is complete, the results are very noticable, and I'm getting clean air to the turbo.
Has anyone else installed this kit? I recommend it, but the install is not a simple upgrade.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The filter looks like a cone inside the cylinder. The flex hose comes out the area where the stock air box was. The hose is much larger than the stock. The rear wheel well has to be removed and most the foam has to be pulled out to make room. The end of the hose stops at the side intake but does not attach to anything. It's wedged in place at the air intake on the side of the car. The hose is so much larger I had to cut a piece of the wheel well out. A small piece but the factory hose is more rectangle shaped than the wider round hose.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the only place I could find anything on the kit. They made the hose hook up with a 3D printer, so it can be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Well.... for what it's worth, the factory airbox in the 451 wasn't the greatest at staying clean, either, since IIRC, it had some air holes in the bottom of it. So it could get SOME air through the side scoop, and some through the bottom of the airbox as well. I know that might have been more for drainage for whatever water may have somehow made its way through the side scoop (which, though i'm not sure exactly how likely that'd be aside from say someone driving through a puddle and splashing a ton of water at the drivers side, but i'd hope they maybe took that into account with that aftermarket intake and left some spots for any potential water to drain out rather than enter the turbo), but still.

All i know is I would never pay that much for an intake that looks that cheap. Aside from the vacuum/recirc connections on the tube, could probably make something quite similar with pipe and a filter, and it wouldn't look like someone stuffed a dryer vent pipe onto it.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After driving for a few weeks with the new intake, the check engine light kept coming on. The code was P 04F0 (Evap system high pressure purge line performance) I would clear it and it would stay off for a few days and then come back on. The Evap system puts unused fuel back in the intake. The crankcase has cracked or I'm not sure but the engine is toast. I heard a loud phhhhhhsssssss noise, smoke was coming out the exhaust, and eventually smoked inside the car. Not sure if it was the air intake or something else. Has anyone changed their intake and had any problems?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I reinstalled the factory intake. I started at the turbo and removed the rubber intake part, I got a face blast of oil. I put my finger inside and could feel broken parts. The opening to the turbo is only about an inch and a half, so no matter how large the tubing is, it bottles down to the turbo opening. The factory intake does not connect to the side scoop. It stops short and is all held in with foam padding. I need a bigger turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts