Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo smartis,
My name is Bernd, from Germany.I am 45 jears old a work as a master of car mechanic for one of the biggest smart center at the world in Berlin, Germany.
I am search a contact to a smart dealer wich can speak german,because my english is not good enough for a big interview. I would like to come to the States to work for 1-3 jears for smart as a technican.I work since 8 jears for smart as mechanic,trainer for technic,damage repairs,calculation for repairs ect.
I hope someone of you can me help by my search to find a contact...
Many thanks forwards for your help and best regards from germany.
Bernd

·
Super Moderator
29,146 Posts
Bernd,

Welcome! There are some 50 to 70 smart usa dealers opening in 2008; I'm sure one or more of them would be interested in someone with your experience on the smart car. Hopefully someone here can put you in touch with the right new smart dealer.:)

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Bernd,

I would concentrate on those Mercedes-Benz dealers that will also sell and service smarts (not all will). The M-B dealers are the ones who would most likely be conversant in German in their M-B/smart service locations. In the US, only M-B dealers can deal with smarts at the same location. Other dealers, including those who may sell Audi, Porsche, BMW or VW will operate out of a separate smart-only “smart Center,” and any German-speakers are likely to be located back at the parent dealership.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Why not contact Penske Automotive Group. They may especially appreciate your ability to speak another language, and your experience with the cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have I done, but they have not interesting.They said i must come in the States and than we can speak.

·
Super Moderator
29,146 Posts
Bernd,

This is not a bad idea; the Euro is very strong now and airfare to the USA should be lower than in the summer. If you arrange interviews in the same area you could do them all in one week I think. Would be worth it if you found a job with a Mercedes or smart car dealer.

Best of luck. :)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
bero58, You would have to get a work visa to come here and do that. I can tell you that you are wasting your time. Work Visas are given to business where there is a demand for employees and that demand cannot be filled by citizens (Agriculture, etc.) There is no shortage of mechanics in the U.S. and the smart seems simple enough that it would not take someone here to long to be an expert on this vehicle.

·
Registered
309 Posts
bero58,

welcome.

question on the smart.

how does the smart auto-manual transmission hold up compared to a standard 5 speed manual transmission?

does it last longer, shorter, or about the same?

which is harder to fix?

thanks.

·
Super Moderator
29,146 Posts
Work visa?

No need for a work visa to job hunt; if a job is offered, the employer will sponsor the work visa. There's a need for experienced mechanics here and employers should hire the best person for the job. Go for it! :)

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
No need for a work visa to job hunt; if a job is offered, the employer will sponsor the work visa. There's a need for experienced mechanics here and employers should hire the best person for the job. Go for it! :)
I agree with jwight. If the dealer specifies on the H-1 work permit application that the position requires a service technician with 2-3 years SmartCar repair experience, the field of U.S. applicants is going to be extremely limited. Then the only thing that the dealer needs to demonstrate is that the wages of the foreign worker are consistent with those paid to their other U.S. service technicians. The down side is the H-1 process will cost the employer about $1600 in application and legal fees (I think every three years). The employee could offer to reimburse them that expense.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hallo, it does longer.
Its a manuell transmission, wich work with electronic units.Its not a automatic transmission.
bernd

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Bero58

Please send me a Private Message (PM)

With your full contact information

Name
Address
Phone

Short Biographical info.... Years working Smart cars, where trained, certifications

I will inquire at the dealer who is going to have Smart Cars here in Central Texas

http://www.classicrr.com/

I will see If I can get a contact name or just have them contact you if they are intrested in sponsoring your work visa and hireing you.

Our area here in Texas is heavy with German speaking citizens

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch, und Ich habe bei mir 2 SmartCar Händleren. Bitte lassen Sie mich wissen, wenn ich Ihnen helfen kann.

Viel Glück, Bernd!

·
Super Moderator
29,146 Posts
lisat,

Very classy; thanks for offering to communicate in his own language. :)

PS - this is a great forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts