Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously thinking about getting a smart car, but I wanted to know if it would be "smart" to have as an only vehicle. I live in a suburb of st louis (st charles) and I travel on the highway frequently. I am a musician, but I usually only need my guitar a small amp and few other things ( which I know will fit). also, how will it do in snow, rain, ice? i am in missouri and weather does it all. i just want to make sure it will be wise before i make the decision. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!!!

ryan jordan:D

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Do you live 300 miles from the nearest dealer and have six children probably not. It is a full purpose car and will haul you a friend and a lot of your stuff to your destination. It does 99% of what I need and would work as my only car if my wife would stop taking it all the time.
karl

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
In a nutshell: should an emergency arise, do you have access to an alternative mean of transportation? (Rental, friend, taxi... just in case your car is not suitable/available for a specific requirement).

·
Registered
804 Posts
I am the proud owner of a Smart Car, and as much as I love my car I wouldn't want it for my only car. In fact it's my 3rd car, And maybe it's me but I'm very protective of my Smart Car, As soon as it starts to rain here in the Vegas Valley I plan on parking my Smart in the garage and start driving another car. Thats just me I know some people may say I'm nuts but I am as big of a Smart Car Fan as anyone and probably bigger than most, As much as I love my little car I wouldn't recomend it to anyone as their only car just because of its size.
But of course the choice is yours in then end I would really just go look at them and think about what you need in a car, If it's more than 7.4 qubic ft of trunk space then maybe you should look at a FIT or something like that. (I know someone is gonna beat me up on this one) Good luck.... Thats my .02 cents

P.S Out of my 3 cars my Smart is by far the coolest....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah. my fiance has a honda civic. and my dad has a truck, and my mother a camry hybrid. should i wait for a toyota iq? just to see? when are they coming here anyway?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
If you are replacing one car with the smart then I would say yes, it would be a good choose. Any car can and will have issues over time. No one buying a car from any producer can say the car I am buying will never have issues or break down. Just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Can't hide a guitar in the smart unless you dress it up like a passenger by putting a wig and overcoat on it . When you leave the car for a few minutes it may very well be stolen when you come back ... Pardon my humor.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am seriously thinking about getting a smart car, but I wanted to know if it would be "smart" to have as an only vehicle...

ryan jordan:D
Nope. It's typically niche transportation in the US. (Unless, of course you live in places like downtown SF or NYC.) IMHO, you'd be happier with an economical 4-seater or hatchback.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I can't vouch for weather of the frozen kind, but others probably can; otherwise, I imagine you'll be quote fine with the smart, the whole smart and nothing but the smart. highways are fine, guitars are fine, you can hide the gear if you need, by either hi or lo tech.
a marshall stack won't fit, but a common combo should easily; best thing is, you'll never be asked to move the drums!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks everyone. i will dress the guitar up, but just for the fun of it. i wouldn't leave it in there , and i would have to put the seat forward to bring it. i drove one and loved it, besides the little bit of lagging in the shifting, but i think i would get used to it.

i appreciate your .02 cents!!! (im up to .04 now!)

·
Registered
351 Posts
My smart is my only auto, although I have a husband with a larger vehicle. Actually, I would not hesitate to have it as the only vehicle in the household, because I know I could always rent a larger vehicle if necessary. I do a 33 mile round trip every day to work, and it is just perfect for my needs. I love driving it, and I LOVE the attention it still gets. I took delivery on June 20, 2008, and I now have just under 5,100 miles. No problems, except I need a replacement sun shade.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Filled the tank for $20. Sticker price is low. The economics are good. It's more fun to drive than a hatch back...still that IQ does look pretty interesting.... but you can't buy one yet. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi rjordan,

In my case, I'm leaning towards keeping my Santa Fe because although it is only 18 months old, it has a lot of miles (I average over 30k miles a year) therefore trade-in or resale value would be lower - yet it still has many future years of reliable use (I hope). My main excuse for keeping the Santa Fe is that I need it to tow my sailboat. If I currently had a car and not an SUV, selling one or keeping two vehicles might be an easier decision to make.

The Smart will be my primary vehicle when it finally comes. In terms of carrying people or daily stuff, I think it will be just fine for what I need since the passenger seat folds flat. When I am in a city, it will make parking easier. The gas savings will be significant. From the test drive I could see that the Smart is stylish, well-made, and enjoyable to drive, and I love the paddle shifters and manual shift mode. It also has side and front airbags, EPS (on all models), and scored very high in crash test ratings.

This site has threads about members' experiences in ice and snow. Seems like a reliable vehicle, unless you are in very deep snow - but we only have snows like that where I live once or twice in a decade.

You'll find a lot of information on this site that will help you to make the right choice for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The only time I do not drive my smart is on those rare occasions I dont want to be stared at waved to beeped at and asked questions.......LUV MY SMART

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
If I can use the motorcycle as my only mode of transportation, then I can use a smart. Thats what I did last year. I rode cold or hot. Only if it rained, did I take the car. Having only one car and two working adults sucks. This car is our blessing to be. Jan19, my wife wont have to wait for a ride to work. This car means so much to us. I would say if you have access to a loaner/rental then the smart would be fine.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
By the sounds of it, there is just you no kids. So, that is a plus for just having the smart. What more do you need but you and say a lady friend. I can not vouch for driving in the snow and what not. There are ppl on here that have done it already since it has snowed during that time. I myself have a wife, which she drives our 4 seater so no renting another car. If the smart has to go in the shop, I can drive my truck that just sits anyhow. So, unlike you, I do have options. Depending on what type of warranty you get, you might be able to get one that allows a rental which then I say go for it. Also, being that it is just you, then you don't again have to haul around kids and what not, so should be fine. If you enjoy it, get one. Later on down the road, you could always go and get something else. Not like it will be hard to get rid of it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts