Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I purchased a Smart Cabriolet on eBay from a dealership in Florida. My husband and I were planning to fly to FL and drive it back to Arizona. Since we purchased it our plans have changed and we are now considering having it shipped. I have checked the cost and wondered if anyone knew of a less expensive alternative - given the size of the vehicle, etc. Any suggestions? Would the dealer be able to suggest something? Any responses are appreciated!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Most dealers have some access to shipping for vehicles.
How much have you been quoted? FL to AZ I would expect to be around 800 - 1000?
The next question is whether it is an open or closed trailer? Open is less expensive. Closed keeps your car nice and clean?

·
Super Moderator
29,021 Posts
You might find a FL smart owner willing to drive it to AZ, or look into "drive away" companies which will do the same thing. :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Here are my suggestions

1. Find a dependable friend / high school / college student who needs temporary summer employment. Fly him/her to FL and let them drive it to AZ. You pay for the flight, gas, meals, hotel/motel stays and a fee for services rendered. (The FL dealer might know someone who could do this in reverse - drive the car out and fly back to FL.)

2. Check out uship.com and / or Dependable Auto Shippers
( Auto Transport | Car Shipping | Free Vehicle Shipping Quotes - Dependable Auto Shippers )

I remember needing to get from San Diego to the East Coast many years ago and not being able to afford it. Driving another person's car got me there and put a few bucks in my pocket. I actually got that gig by checking Want Ads in the local newspaper. How quaint, right?

Regards,

Dan

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Newspaper?? whats that??? Just Kidding. Make sure you check referances, Hate for someone to take off with your new (to you) car

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Newspaper?? whats that??? Just Kidding. Make sure you check referances, Hate for someone to take off with your new (to you) car
Actually they did check my references. Fortunately I made the grade (US Navy Lieutenant Junior Grade at the time) but your point is well taken. Be careful out there.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A million thanks for all your answers! Not sure I would trust just anyone - friends too! ;-)
Thanks for the link to the auto shipper. I've gotten a price in the $1700 range and thought that seemed like a lot for such a puny car!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That does seem like a lot for that shipment. You do not list where you are. I may be going to Tucson in the next month or so and driving your car out might work for me. Send me a pm is you are interested. I had a car shipped from CT to FL in April and the cost was only $550. Try autotransportdirect.com Best of luck, pm me if I can help.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I ran the cost from Northern Fl to Tucson and got $950. You might even get them to come down a little from that. Good luck

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
A million thanks for all your answers! Not sure I would trust just anyone - friends too! ;-)
Thanks for the link to the auto shipper. I've gotten a price in the $1700 range and thought that seemed like a lot for such a puny car!
It is. What would work for you?

Regards,

Dan

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
If you're not in a hurry, some movers will agree to supplement a "not too full load" with a waiting item for a cut rate. Could a smart qualify? Just a thought.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,111 Posts
$1,700 sounds too steep. For comparison, I know of a smart shipped from Charleston, WV to Grand Junction, CO for about $900 by an auto transport company about 3 years ago. When the smart was picked up, it traveled cross country with a Jag and a MB. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a million to all of you! Now it seems that my husband has decided to fly to FL with his brother and drive the car back! Men! LOL!

I appreciate the time you took to answer my question and those of you who sent links and even offered to drive it here THANK YOU!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts