Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Smart Passion. Was working perfectly until today. I can't seem to get it started. I put my foot on the brake, insert key into ignition, all proper lights come on during normal start. Display shows car to be in "Park". Engine begins to turn over but car will not start. I have moved transmission selector to neutral and get the same result. Turns over fine but will not start. Any suggestions for a quick fix? Thanks, Jay

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also had the same problem today. Yesterday, everything was fine, today, it goes through a complete crank cycle, but no start, and no sign of any kick at all. I just checked every fuse that says it might have anything to do with ignition or fuel, and all are OK. specifically the fuel pump.
Checked the immobilizer on/off, no effect .
Tried the second key, no effect.
I seem to recall that when I would first start it before there was some sort of pump that would come on for a while, and then go off. That might have been a fuel pump presurizing the system. If so, I am not hearing that nowl. Any hints on an easy fuel pump diagnosis? Otherwise I think I am calling a tow truck on Monday morning to take it in.

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked fuse 16 and it was ok. Tried jumper cables but no luck there. Battery seems good. :(

·
Registered
338 Posts
(this thanks to RW) quick dx is to pull PCV line off intake, spray starter fluid into the hole for 2-3 seconds then try to start it. If it fires AT ALL even for a second or two it's got spark and is not getting fuel. Mine even gave me an erroneous crank position sensor code which delayed things for a couple days while that part came in. fuel pump is around $400 plus labor unless you change it out yourself

·
Registered
338 Posts
to be thorough you should check power to the pump where the wiring plugs into the pump, but you have to drop the tank to access that connector anyway so do that first, then the job is half done by the time you order the pump!

·
Registered
8 Posts
jamf92,

Your youtube post is exactly what mine started doing this morning as well.

Sounds like our problems are either fuel pump, or crank position indicator. With a little over 30k on mu car, it is now out of warranty. But I live in CA, and there are some other posts saying that if it is a fuel pump, CA emissions requires 7 years 70K miles for fuel system components. Possibly something good from living in the lettuce state. We will see.

If I can find a quick diagnosis to rule out crank position indicator, I may try that otherwise, it is going on a flat- bed on monday morning headed to the dealer.
chris

·
Registered
338 Posts
jamf92,

Your youtube post is exactly what mine started doing this morning as well.

Sounds like our problems are either fuel pump, or crank position indicator. With a little over 30k on mu car, it is now out of warranty. But I live in CA, and there are some other posts saying that if it is a fuel pump, CA emissions requires 7 years 70K miles for fuel system components. Possibly something good from living in the lettuce state. We will see.

If I can find a quick diagnosis to rule out crank position indicator, I may try that otherwise, it is going on a flat- bed on monday morning headed to the dealer.
chris

the ECU should throw a fault code if there's actually a CPS problem- easy enough to find if you have a code reader

but it might also give you that fault code for no apparent reason like mine did

if it fires with starter fluid the crank sensor is likely OK

·
Registered
8 Posts
It was the fuel pump. And although I am out of the regular warranty period. It was covered because it is a California car, I live in California, and it is an emissions component so covered. Very happy!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
That's great - finally get something positive out of those expensive registration fees. Glad to hear you're back on the road with minimal hassle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I checked fuse 16 and it looked OK, but swapped it with #13 , the spare, and it started! Thanks you SCOA Forum! You saved me a bundle of time and $$$!!!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Getting on the bandwagon, a couple years ago I had the crank, no start problem too. It was the fuel pump, extended warranty saved me $.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Smart Car Convertible. I have had the same problem of the car starting but not turning over.

Put the car in neutral and push it forward a foot or two. Try it again. I had the same problem and took it into the dealer and they said that it was the clutch and replaced it and charged me for it. They said that it is a manual transmission with not covered by the warranty or the extended service.

The problem has recurred a few years later and I think it is a bad spot in the starter and never had anything to do with the clutch. At least I know how to get it started now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem today, checked fuse 16 and it looked fine, called the tow truck and it took us home... later reading this I thought.. OK, I'll swap fuse 16 for another (I swapped it for 17 which is rear wiper) and it started right away... I am speechless, I checked it and it looked intact, looking again it's a hairline fracture in the fuse right at the side, impossible to see without magnification. Thank you I am so glad I read your post!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts