Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
smart USA Announces Pricing of smart fortwo Models

Innovative and Unique Vehicle to Go on Sale January 2008

BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--smart USA Distributor LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Automotive Group, Inc., (NYSE:pAG), today announced the pricing of the all-new smart fortwo models that will be sold in the United States beginning in the first quarter of 2008.

The smart fortwo will be available in three trim levels. The entry-level pure coupe will start at $11,590(a), manufacturer

·
Registered
54 Posts
They actually changed the picture of the cabrio. It used to have the 6-spoke wheels and looked nice. Now, they have the 9-spoke. Personally, I don't like them.
The 6-spoke wheels were slightly bigger, which is better for the car.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
tridion

In addition to a change to the wheels, now common to both the passion and cabrio, it once was published on smartusa.com that the standard tridion for those two was to be silver with a no-cost option to have it in black. Now black is standard on all three models and a $175 option on all three.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The skeptic in me wonders if the initial cut (color, model, etc) we all made along with our deposit was then used to find out which colors and options were the most desirable and set pricing accordingly. :eek: Paint is paint and has to be applied anyway, right? No matter, I will probably re-paint pretty quickly or buy a second set of skins. The ones with the scoops, fender flares, aero kit and spoiler. Wheeee. :D

tm

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Powder-coated tridions

Actually there is more to it than paint drying. The tridions are powder-coated, not painted. Some time back I had a set of MiniLite alloy wheels repaired and refinished to their original, powder-coated silver. The silver p-c medium is quite expensive and I saw big difference in price between the available silver finishes. The black tubular frame of the car was also once repaired (after running through a bull moose in NH at 55 MPH!) and p-c refinished as original

·
Registered
145 Posts
In addition to a change to the wheels, now common to both the passion and cabrio, it once was published on smartusa.com that the standard tridion for those two was to be silver with a no-cost option to have it in black. Now black is standard on all three models and a $175 option on all three.
On Smartusa.com the standard tridion has always been black. The option was silver. I didn't know how much the option was going to cost me so I picked black. Now that I know, I am going for the silver. :)

teapots

·
Registered
671 Posts
Delyan, I hope that is true. I really had my heart set on the 6-spoke wheels (like in my Avatar), but now have learned you probably won't have a choice. I do like the 9-spoke in your link much better that the 9-spoke on their website.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wonder why the items listed under Safety for the models does not include all the Safety/ Active Feature items? Are they leaving off some "standard" features to keep the US price down? I've sent an e-mail inquery to Smaert USA - we'll see.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Wonder why the items listed under Safety for the models does not include all the Safety/ Active Feature items? Are they leaving off some "standard" features to keep the US price down? I've sent an e-mail inquery to Smaert USA - we'll see.
Here's what they have listed:

The smart fortwo is packed with a long list of active safety features that will introduce you to a whole new set of acronyms and keep you safer in the process.

ESP

·
Registered
564 Posts
My Wheel Obsession

On this page alone, you can see 6, 9 and 12 spoke alloy wheels:Smart Downloads
The 9-spoke wheel on the above page is option B, and it looks better in this photo - I'm starting to dislike it less. Thanks for pointing out that picture lhoboy - seems like they've added a lot of new artwork to the site recently.

PS: The reason I'm obsessing over the 9-spoke wheels is that's what the specs say is coming as standard, and I don't want to pay the dealer $1000 for an alternative set. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
lhoboy - thanks but what I'm looking for is why some of the safety items you listed are not under the Satefy category for each model. For example, under Product pick Passion. Then compare the list under Safety to what you wrrote. A number of the items are not there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts